Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 0

Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 21:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (02:31) correct 50% (01:29) wrong based on 139 sessions
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some hardcover books that cost $25 each. If Juan bought more than 10 paperback books, how many hardcover books did he buy?

(1) The total cost of hardcover books that Juan bought was at least $150
(2) The total cost of all books that Juan bought was less than $260
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Jun 2013, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added the OA and moved to DS forum.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 21:25
It should be E

I dont know if this is thr ight approach

let say Juan baught 11 paperback books = 11*8 = 88

statement 1 : minmium cost of hardcover books = 150-88 = 62
x is the number of hardcover books x > 2 . Not suff

statement 2: max cost of hardcover books = 260-88 = 172
x < 7 not suff

combine .... 2 < x < 7 ... not suff
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 22:49
durgesh79 wrote:
It should be E

I dont know if this is thr ight approach

let say Juan baught 11 paperback books = 11*8 = 88

statement 1 : minmium cost of hardcover books = 150-88 = 62
x is the number of hardcover books x > 2 . Not suff

statement 2: max cost of hardcover books = 260-88 = 172
x < 7 not suff

combine .... 2 < x < 7 ... not suff


1.25h>=150
NS
2.8p+25h<260
NS
from 1 and 2
we cannot get exact value for p
E
9 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 1270
Location: Madrid
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 121 [9] , given: 0

Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 23:27
9
This post received
KUDOS
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some hard cover books that cost $25 each. If Juan bought more than 10 paperback books , how many hardcover books did he buy.

1 The total cost of hardcover books that Juan bought was atleast 150$ He bought more than 6 hardcover books.
NOT SUFF

2 The total cost of all the books that Juan bought was less than $260
He spent at least $88 on paperback books, and thus less than 260 - 88 = $172 on hardcover books. This tells us he bought at most 6 hardover books

Together, we know he bought exactly 6 hardcover books. SUFF

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 23:34
aaah ... i made a mistake in reading first satetment... :x
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:04
goalsnr wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
It should be E

I dont know if this is thr ight approach

let say Juan baught 11 paperback books = 11*8 = 88

statement 1 : minmium cost of hardcover books = 150-88 = 62
x is the number of hardcover books x > 2 . Not suff

statement 2: max cost of hardcover books = 260-88 = 172
x < 7 not suff

combine .... 2 < x < 7 ... not suff



1.25h>=150
NS
2.8p+25h<260
NS
from 1 and 2
we cannot get exact value for p
E




We can't find the exact value for P but we can find teh value for H

If H >6 and P =11 the total cost exceeds 260
But if we have h =6 but have p= 11 or p=12 we can still remain within the total cost of 260

Agree C .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 386
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 01:31
kevincan wrote:
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some hard cover books that cost $25 each. If Juan bought more than 10 paperback books , how many hardcover books did he buy.

1 The total cost of hardcover books that Juan bought was atleast 150$ He bought more than 6 hardcover books.
NOT SUFF

2 The total cost of all the books that Juan bought was less than $260
He spent at least $88 on paperback books, and thus less than 260 - 88 = $172 on hardcover books. This tells us he bought at most 6 hardover books

Together, we know he bought exactly 6 hardcover books. SUFF




I agree with 1

but in stmt 2 : How do we get 88 ? Juan bought atleast 10 paperback books so it has to 80 ...Next the total cost is less than 260 ..Lets say total cost is 100 ..

Then 100 - 80 = 20 ...So juan bought 0 hard cover books...

Combined do we get the answer still 6 here ???
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
WE: Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 10:45
Siddhans, the question states that Juan bought "more than 10 paper books" and not atleast 10.
Also didnt quite get how you arrived that the total cost is 100 . Its told that the total cost is less than 260, given your way of working the total cost could also equal to 259, which leads to the right answer
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4687
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4844 [1] , given: 163

Re: Juan bought some books ,Gmat prep question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 21:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddhans wrote:
kevincan wrote:
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some hard cover books that cost $25 each. If Juan bought more than 10 paperback books , how many hardcover books did he buy.

1 The total cost of hardcover books that Juan bought was atleast 150$ He bought more than 6 hardcover books.
NOT SUFF

2 The total cost of all the books that Juan bought was less than $260
He spent at least $88 on paperback books, and thus less than 260 - 88 = $172 on hardcover books. This tells us he bought at most 6 hardover books

Together, we know he bought exactly 6 hardcover books. SUFF



I agree with 1

but in stmt 2 : How do we get 88 ? Juan bought atleast 10 paperback books so it has to 80 ...Next the total cost is less than 260 ..Lets say total cost is 100 ..

Then 100 - 80 = 20 ...So juan bought 0 hard cover books...

Combined do we get the answer still 6 here ???


As pointed out by esbee above, Juan bought more than 10 paperback books so he must have bought at least 11 paperbacks. This means he must have spent at least $88 on the paperbacks.

Statement 2 alone is not sufficient. All it tells us is that he spent less than $260. This means he spent less than $260 - $88 = $172 on hardcover books. He could have spent $88 + $50 = $138 OR $98 + $100 = $198 OR some other combination. We do not know how many hardcover books he bought but we do know that he could not have bought more than 6 since for 7 (or more) hardcover books, he would need $25*7 = $175 (or more). But he spent less than $172 on hardcover books. So he bought at most 6 hardcover books.

Using both statements together, statement 1 says that he bought at least 6 hardcover books and statement 2 says he bought at most 6 hardcover books. What does this mean? This means he must have bought exactly 6 hardcover books.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 930
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 543

Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 05:05
Great discussion just to point out when combined it can't be 7 books because the cost will be 263 so that's above the the required condition.
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2012
Posts: 14
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 05:40
HI CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY ADDING INEQUALITIES DOES NOT WORK IN THIS QUESTION

let the quantity of hardcover books be H and paperback P

Statement 1
25H is greater than or equal to 150
therefore H is greater than or equal to 6
Insufficient.

Statement 2

8(P)+25(H) < 260 AND
10< P

MULTIPLYING BY 8 AND ADDING IF WE SOLVE

H is less than 7.2 insuff

Statement 1 and 2 (H must be an integer)

and greater than or equal to 6,

therefore H can be 6 or 7.

E..I can't wrap around my head how this approach can be wrong? OA: C
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4687
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4844 [1] , given: 163

Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 20:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAT98 wrote:
HI CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY ADDING INEQUALITIES DOES NOT WORK IN THIS QUESTION

let the quantity of hardcover books be H and paperback P

Statement 1
25H is greater than or equal to 150
therefore H is greater than or equal to 6
Insufficient.

Statement 2

8(P)+25(H) < 260 AND
10< P

MULTIPLYING BY 8 AND ADDING IF WE SOLVE

H is less than 7.2 insuff

Statement 1 and 2 (H must be an integer)

and greater than or equal to 6,

therefore H can be 6 or 7.

E..I can't wrap around my head how this approach can be wrong? OA: C




Because the inequality 10 < P does not include all the information you have available. You know that P cannot be 10.5 i.e. a decimal. It must be an integer since it represents the number of paperbacks. So you might want to use 11<= P to get a tighter value for H.

8P + 25H < 260
88 <= 8P

When you add, you get 25H < 172 i.e. H < 6.9

All in all, algebra will always give you the correct result; but it may not be sufficient if you don't use reasoning as well. You got that H is less than 7.2 which is correct but it was not enough.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2012
Posts: 14
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 20:54
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
GMAT98 wrote:
HI CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY ADDING INEQUALITIES DOES NOT WORK IN THIS QUESTION

let the quantity of hardcover books be H and paperback P

Statement 1
25H is greater than or equal to 150
therefore H is greater than or equal to 6
Insufficient.

Statement 2

8(P)+25(H) < 260 AND
10< P

MULTIPLYING BY 8 AND ADDING IF WE SOLVE

H is less than 7.2 insuff

Statement 1 and 2 (H must be an integer)

and greater than or equal to 6,

therefore H can be 6 or 7.

E..I can't wrap around my head how this approach can be wrong? OA: C




Because the inequality 10 < P does not include all the information you have available. You know that P cannot be 10.5 i.e. a decimal. It must be an integer since it represents the number of paperbacks. So you might want to use 11<= P to get a tighter value for H.

8P + 25H < 260
88 <= 8P

When you add, you get 25H < 172 i.e. H < 6.9

All in all, algebra will always give you the correct result; but it may not be sufficient if you don't use reasoning as well. You got that H is less than 7.2 which is correct but it was not enough.



ok..i got it. I should have applied hidden constraint.
Thanks for prompt reply.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1627
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 17:06
Statement 1 alone only tells us that H>=6.

Statement 2 tells us that the total cost that is 25H + 8P<260, which together with P>=11 is not sufficient.

Both statements together tell us that H has to be 6. Given that P is the minimum possible value = 11, if H were 7 then total cost >260 and violate statement 2.
Therefore C stands.

Hope this helps
Cheers
J
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 09:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
Statement 1: Juan spent at least $150 on Hardcovers. So that means he bought at least 6 harcovers. We have no upside limit though.

Insufficient.

Statement 2: Juan spent less than $260 total on books. This tells us at most that Juan spent $259 - $88 (minimum amount possible spent on paperbacks) = $171 maximum on hardcovers. 171 divided by 25 is 6 and change. So round down. The maximum number of harcovers that could be purchased is 6. This statement could also be true with any number of hardcovers below six being purchased. For example, 0 hardcovers + 12 paperbacks = $96, which is less than $260.

Insufficient.

Together:

Looking at Statement 1, we know that at least 6 hardcovers had to be purchased. Looking at Statement 2, we know that no more than 6 hardcovers could be purchased. So Juan must have purchased 6 hardcovers.
Re: Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some   [#permalink] 18 May 2014, 09:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some Accountant 2 28 Mar 2009, 08:34
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some young_gun 2 08 Oct 2007, 17:02
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some VirtualM 2 29 Dec 2006, 01:28
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some dinesh8 7 28 May 2006, 18:22
Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some BG 5 16 May 2006, 23:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Juan bought some paperback books that cost $8 each and some

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.