Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Judicial rules in many states require that the identities of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Judicial rules in many states require that the identities of [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 11:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (01:45) correct 8% (00:50) wrong based on 23 sessions
Judicial rules in many states require that the identities of all prosecution witnesses are made known to defendants so they can attempt to rebut the testimony, but the Constitution explicitly requires only that the defendant have the opportunity to confront an accuser in court.
(A) that the identities of all prosecution witnesses are made known to defendants so they can attempt to rebut
(B) that the identities of all prosecution witnesses be made known to defendants so that they can attempt to rebut
(C) that the defendants should know the identities of all prosecution witnesses so they can attempt a rebuttal of
(D) the identities of all prosecution witnesses should be made known to defendants so they can attempt rebutting
(E) making known to defendants the identities of all prosecution witnesses so that they can attempt to rebut
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question : Judicial rules [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 11:57
first of all require should follow with "that"...so we are left with A,B and C

C) that the defendants should know the identities of all prosecution witnesses so they can attempt a rebuttal of
Should know.....a rebuttal of .... are awkward and not concise...

(A) that the identities of all prosecution witnesses are made known to defendants so they can attempt to rebut

(B) that the identities of all prosecution witnesses be made known to defendants so that they can attempt to rebut

Between A and B.... its a subjunctive construction...Judicial rules in many states require that... so "be" makes sense and also so that is idiomatically correct. Hence, B is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question : Judicial rules [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 14:32
Answer B

attempt should be followed by to..so C and D are out
"that" should follow require so E is out

witnesses be made known is better than witnesses are made known - A OUT

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question : Judicial rules [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 14:34
and yes...."so that they" is correct and not "so they"

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC Question : Judicial rules [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:21
anordinaryguy wrote:
Judicial rules in many states require that the identities of all prosecution witnesses are made known to defendants so they can attempt to rebut the testimony, but the Constitution explicitly requires only that the defendant have the opportunity to confront an accuser in court.

(C) that the defendants should know the identities of all prosecution witnesses so they can attempt a rebuttal of
(D) the identities of all prosecution witnesses should be made known to defendants so they can attempt rebutting
(E) making known to defendants the identities of all prosecution witnesses so that they can attempt to rebut

That/to is needed- so left with A(2 things- be verb and "that" is missing),B,C (should is a red flag in it- rules are just mandatory !)

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: SC Question : Judicial rules [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 10:55
00:27, subjunctive. Only one option uses the infinitive
Re: SC Question : Judicial rules   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2011, 10:55