Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 05:58
Hey all,

I've been using gmatclub for a couple of years now, but this is my first post. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I wonder if the wise minds of gmatclub can give me some advice.

I took the GMAT on May 2012, and got a 610 (Q 46th percentile and V 81st percentile). I was disappointed with the score but sent an application to Tepper and Cornell, just to see what would happen. Surprisingly, I got on the waitlist for both, and just today I got accepted to Tepper.

This is great news, but it just so happens that I took the GMAT four days ago, and scored a 690 (Q 63rd percentile, and V 93rd percentile).

So my issue is: is one bird in the hand better than two in the bush? Should I accept Tepper, or should I defer and apply for 2014 to some schools that I prefer and are more highly ranked? What boosts my ego is that with the low 610 score, I got on the waitlist for two top twenty programs, so my overall application must be quite strong, right? And therefore, a 690 should be enough to push me up into some more powerful programs?

I really don't know, and was just wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation, or has some valuable insight. I need to respond to Tepper by the 13th. I like Tepper, but there are some other schools in the Top20 that I feel are much better suited to my goals

Thanks in advance, this is a great online community !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Status: CBS - Class of 2015
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 10:49
saidba wrote:
Hey all,

I've been using gmatclub for a couple of years now, but this is my first post. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I wonder if the wise minds of gmatclub can give me some advice.

I took the GMAT on May 2012, and got a 610 (Q 46th percentile and V 81st percentile). I was disappointed with the score but sent an application to Tepper and Cornell, just to see what would happen. Surprisingly, I got on the waitlist for both, and just today I got accepted to Tepper.

This is great news, but it just so happens that I took the GMAT four days ago, and scored a 690 (Q 63rd percentile, and V 93rd percentile).

So my issue is: is one bird in the hand better than two in the bush? Should I accept Tepper, or should I defer and apply for 2014 to some schools that I prefer and are more highly ranked? What boosts my ego is that with the low 610 score, I got on the waitlist for two top twenty programs, so my overall application must be quite strong, right? And therefore, a 690 should be enough to push me up into some more powerful programs?

I really don't know, and was just wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation, or has some valuable insight. I need to respond to Tepper by the 13th. I like Tepper, but there are some other schools in the Top20 that I feel are much better suited to my goals

Thanks in advance, this is a great online community !


great job improving. i think if u want a helpful answer ull have to provide more info - goals, background, etc.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 04:51
Abdsolutely, no problem.

Background:
25 year old, Middle Eastern background, currently working in both Saudi Arabia and Bahrain as a full time professional. I work in a family business dealing with the A-Z of property development (financing, developing, leasing and managing of properties) , and I also operate two art galleries, one in Bahrain and the other in Saudi. My role is fully comprehensive and holistic, and since this is a family business, my role is very much entrepreneurial and I am involved with every single aspect of the business. Native speaker of Arabic and English.

Graduated from University of Michigan, double majoring in Political Science and Sociology.

So my academic background is in social sciences, and my professional life is in the Middle East and in a family business, so I'm not the most typical candidate, and I think this hurts and helps me.

Main goal of an MBA is to develop a comprehensive academic background in business, with a specific focus in corporate strategy and entrepreneurship. I also am looking to create a strong basis in finance and accounting knowledge. An MBA is really about knowledge, and not for a promotion/pay increase/career switch.

I think there are some better universities out there that cater towards my goals, schools like Cornell, Ross, and maybe a couple of longshots like MIT and Kellog. But I'm just worried about letting go of this definite opportunity.
Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 516
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 05:10
Ah.. as they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The real question is, does Tepper satisfy what you want out of your MBA experience? Going to MIT or Kellogg, Ross, or wherever is great, but if you end up in the same post-MBA job, got a similar quality of education, and had as much fun, what is the difference? Well the difference is 1 year - the 1 year that you waited to apply to other schools. If Tepper doesn't satisfy your goals, then apply elsewhere this fall!
_________________

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Current Student
avatar
Status: CBS - Class of 2015
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 05:32
saidba wrote:
Abdsolutely, no problem.

Background:
25 year old, Middle Eastern background, currently working in both Saudi Arabia and Bahrain as a full time professional. I work in a family business dealing with the A-Z of property development (financing, developing, leasing and managing of properties) , and I also operate two art galleries, one in Bahrain and the other in Saudi. My role is fully comprehensive and holistic, and since this is a family business, my role is very much entrepreneurial and I am involved with every single aspect of the business. Native speaker of Arabic and English.

Graduated from University of Michigan, double majoring in Political Science and Sociology.

So my academic background is in social sciences, and my professional life is in the Middle East and in a family business, so I'm not the most typical candidate, and I think this hurts and helps me.

Main goal of an MBA is to develop a comprehensive academic background in business, with a specific focus in corporate strategy and entrepreneurship. I also am looking to create a strong basis in finance and accounting knowledge. An MBA is really about knowledge, and not for a promotion/pay increase/career switch.

I think there are some better universities out there that cater towards my goals, schools like Cornell, Ross, and maybe a couple of longshots like MIT and Kellog. But I'm just worried about letting go of this definite opportunity.


it sounds like you're not very excited about tepper. your background is distinct and you don't "need" the mba right now. i would reapply to schools now that you've improved your gmat.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 764
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 08:13
saidba wrote:

What boosts my ego is that with the low 610 score, I got on the waitlist for two top twenty programs, so my overall application must be quite strong, right? And therefore, a 690 should be enough to push me up into some more powerful programs?



I would be careful of this logic for the following reasons:

1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because Tepper liked your application, doesn't necessarily mean other schools will. Also, all applicant pools are different. It's possible to stand out in one while bring rather ordinary in another.

2) Tepper sees about 1500 applications a year. Top tier schools easily twice that. Competition is fierce.

3) Higher ranking means higher GMAT. Example: Of an incoming class at Tepper, about half have a GMAT of 700+. At Kellogg, 75% of the incoming class has a 700+ GMAT.

These are just a few points. Like others have said, it sounds like you're not pumped to go to Tepper - you only get to do an MBA once, so you may as well do it at a school you're excited about. I just don't want you to think it's a slam-dunk because of an improved GMAT.

It's going to be a gamble. Don't assume Tepper is going to be a safety option next year either. You'll be a re-applicant after being admitted the previous year and they'll want to know why you're applying again after turning them down.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 18:25
Thanks for the replies guys.

I just passed on the offer, and will be applying to another batch of schools for next year. Tepper is an extraordinary program, but I want to see what will happen next year. It will be a gamble, but I'm confident with my application package.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Winter is Coming!
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 40
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 19:55
saidba wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I just passed on the offer, and will be applying to another batch of schools for next year. Tepper is an extraordinary program, but I want to see what will happen next year. It will be a gamble, but I'm confident with my application package.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!


Congrats on the admit - It sounds like you made the right choice. Good luck next year!
Re: Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go?   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2013, 19:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I go for an MBA? JusTLucK04 5 04 May 2014, 10:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I Go to BSchool? JonAdmissionado 0 19 Jul 2011, 12:46
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I stay or should I go now? rhyme 32 11 Apr 2010, 09:04
Wondering if anyone had any info whether I should just go jingy77 2 23 Mar 2008, 19:26
Should I go.. jamesrwrightiii 3 12 Aug 2007, 20:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Just accepted at Tepper, but should I go?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.