Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 02:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (03:29) correct 67% (01:19) wrong based on 12 sessions
Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones carefulness and conscientiousness be so tense as to hinder the running of ones mind.

Q. Which one of the following most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument above?

A. Just as a clock may be wound too tightly, so may ones time be spent fruitlessly in the pursuit of perfection.

B. Just as a carousel may spin too quickly, so may ones rapid concentration on several problems prevent a resolution of difficulties.

C. Just as a machine may be oiled too much, so may ones heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages lead to complete dissipation.

D. Just as a raging river may be frozen into stillness during the winter, so may ones career falter at certain times of the year.

E. Just as a boxer may become too tense before a big fight, so may ones personal concerns stand in the way of professional success.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 04:49
Nihit wrote:
Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones carefulness and conscientiousness be so tense as to hinder the running of ones mind.

Q. Which one of the following most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument above?

A. Just as a clock may be wound too tightly, so may ones time be spent fruitlessly in the pursuit of perfection.

B. Just as a carousel may spin too quickly, so may ones rapid concentration on several problems prevent a resolution of difficulties.

C. Just as a machine may be oiled too much, so may ones heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages lead to complete dissipation.

D. Just as a raging river may be frozen into stillness during the winter, so may ones career falter at certain times of the year.

E. Just as a boxer may become too tense before a big fight, so may ones personal concerns stand in the way of professional success.

Interesting problem. I pick C as my answer. I'll explain why. Let's take a look at the argument again:

This argument is making a serious contradiction. It's comparing one thing that is suppose to happen in order to work to something opposite that is not meant to work at all with the same idea. The bicycle chain is suppose to be tight, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to move the bicycle properly. However, when carefulness and conscientiousness are tensed, they can hinder the running of ones mind. Two opposite situations that shouldn't be compared in the first place.

So in option C:

Just as a machine may be oiled too much, so may ones heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages lead to complete dissipation.

A machine SHOULD be oiled. The more it is oiled, the more smoothly it runs. However, heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages is not good for people because it will not make their body function as smoothly. So this is why I choose option C.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 09:12
I actually didn't know that a bike chain was supposed to be tight. This better not be a :2gunfire: gmat prep question.

I picked C. :drunk
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 09:52
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:25
mmm guys try again
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:35
This is a really weird question. Where is it from?

I pick B.
The argument is basically that excess can lead to dysfunction and ruin.

B is the only one where TOO MUCH of a normal function gives way to something bad.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:55
Nihit wrote:
mmm guys try again

try again? are you saying that option C is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:59
yup C is not the OA
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 11:01
I meant i Picked E, but that seems to be wrong as well :rocket
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 15:45
I pick A.
You wind the clock for a good reason but if you wind too much or too hard, it could break. Similarly, if you strive too much for perfection (you must strive in moderation), you will end up wasting time and not achieve anything. A negative effect will follow when a positive effect is expected.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 17:21
Nihit wrote:

I went to D.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:30
Nihit wrote:

A. Just as a clock may be wound too tightly, so may ones time be spent fruitlessly in the pursuit of perfection.-> incorrect

B. Just as a carousel may spin too quickly, so may ones rapid concentration on several problems prevent a resolution of difficulties. -> correct

C. Just as a machine may be oiled too much, so may ones heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages lead to complete dissipation. -> not correct ,too much oil and heavy are not analogous

D. Just as a raging river may be frozen into stillness during the winter, so may ones career falter at certain times of the year. -> certain times and winter not parallel

E. Just as a boxer may become too tense before a big fight, so may ones personal concerns stand in the way of professional success. incorrect

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:39
I picked E as well.

The only choices I saw that were parallel to so may ones carefulness and conscientiousness be so tense as to hinder the running of ones mind. are A, D & E.

Serioulsy, I dont think parallel reasoning is tested on GMAT. its an LSAT thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: bicycle :CR [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 00:07
OA is B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:28
I picked C too ... too much oil is analogous to too much alcohol nd too much alcohol leads to negative effect so does too much carefulness and conscientousness ..
Re: Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may ones   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2013, 06:28