Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q36  V19
GPA: 78 percent
Send PM
Re: Just as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans fo [#permalink]
Only "B" conveys the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Re: Just as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans fo [#permalink]
I picked Answer A but still confused between A & B.

2 question from my side -
1. I know "Just Like" is not idiomatic, how about "Just as"? is it idiomatic?
2. Whats main difference between option A and B?

Thanks in Advance,
Cheesr!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Ajay369 wrote:

Thanks in Advance,
Cheesr!

The main difference between A and B is meaning .
Just as Vs As

Just as means "at the very moment" Thus A reads as

there was a precise moment at which Hans got closer and found it harder ... this doesnt make sense..

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
sudhir18n wrote:
Ajay369 wrote:

Thanks in Advance,
Cheesr!

The main difference between A and B is meaning .
Just as Vs As

Just as means "at the very moment" Thus A reads as

there was a precise moment at which Hans got closer and found it harder ... this doesnt make sense..

Hope it helps.

Got it Sudhir. Thanks for explaining. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
+ 1 for B,just,long and soon are redundant in A,C,D and E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
just like is unidiomatic hence E removed
just as changes the meaning hence A removed.

What is the issue with C and D is it as long as and as soon as usage or is it the usage of the in creased upward.

Please let me know
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
B)As he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere

Hans did not realize that the boxes were getting stacked everywhere but while he was packing did he realize about the problem with boxes.

Hence B is correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Just as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere

A Just as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere
B As he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere
C As long as he got close to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it hard to keep his apartment organized because of the number of moving boxes stacked everywhere increasing upward
D As soon as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the number of moving boxes stacked everywhere increasing upward
E Just like he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere.
Source: Grockit

Can anyone explain when to use "Just as" ????

rgds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
A Just as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere - IMO "Just as" is redundant
B As he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere - Correct
C As long as he got close to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it hard to keep his apartment organized because of the number of moving boxes stacked everywhere increasing upward - "increasing upward" redundant
D As soon as he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the number of moving boxes stacked everywhere increasing upward - same as above
E Just like he got closer to having all of his possessions packed, Hans found it harder to keep his apartment organized because of the increasing number of moving boxes stacked everywhere. - "like" followed by clause is wrong

IMO "just as" is redundant here..
So my choice is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [2]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos