Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

just back. scored 690-first attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
just back. scored 690-first attempt [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 09:05
Hi Guys,
just back from the centre. I scored 690- first attempt. I am happy and disappointed to some extent. I scored only 35 in Verbal whereas I was constantly scoring 99 percentile with Manhattan Gmat CAT. It was hard long preparation .Happy to be over with it. It was difficult to devoted time to studies with the full time job.
Verbal was too hard.
It was good to be on this forum and read all the messages here.
Thanks to all you guys.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 09:31
What is ur Quant score?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 17:51
congrats on your great score, can you brief us on your verbal perparation ?
Thanks
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 01:05
My Quant score is 48. verbal 35.
I met with almost 4-5 probability questions. I knew then that I was doing good in Quant. But verbal score is disappointing. I think that the Manhattan Gmat CAT do not have a high level of Verbal Q or i wouldn't have scored 99percentile with them. The verbal q's in the test were tough or I found them to be tough. One or two more q's right and i could have joined the 700 club.
I knew that i have good maths skills but my background is occupational therapy and law. I hadn't touched mathematics for almost 14 years until I started preparing for GMAT 2-3 months ago.
It is difficult to say what the best prep is for verbal. i am disappointed with manhattan gmat guys for artificially inflating my verbal scores. Even with kaplan i was scoring 650 in the Cat's.
When I started my prep, I aimed for 700, but towards the end, I had this feeling that even a score of 750 is reachable.

In the end I am largely happy and little disappointed . I have this feeling I could have crossed this 700 border as I was so close.

One question for you guys. How good is this score for top colleges?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 01:17
excelgmat wrote:
My Quant score is 48. verbal 35.
I met with almost 4-5 probability questions. I knew then that I was doing good in Quant. But verbal score is disappointing. I think that the Manhattan Gmat CAT do not have a high level of Verbal Q or i wouldn't have scored 99percentile with them. The verbal q's in the test were tough or I found them to be tough. One or two more q's right and i could have joined the 700 club.
I knew that i have good maths skills but my background is occupational therapy and law. I hadn't touched mathematics for almost 14 years until I started preparing for GMAT 2-3 months ago.
It is difficult to say what the best prep is for verbal. i am disappointed with manhattan gmat guys for artificially inflating my verbal scores. Even with kaplan i was scoring 650 in the Cat's.
When I started my prep, I aimed for 700, but towards the end, I had this feeling that even a score of 750 is reachable.

In the end I am largely happy and little disappointed . I have this feeling I could have crossed this 700 border as I was so close.

One question for you guys. How good is this score for top colleges?

Your score is very good. I do not think Manhattan inflates your score... Those books actually helped me to significantly increase my skills in SC...

But anyway, no need for regrets for you, you arrived at your destination :)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 04:17
Congrats on a good score...A non-math background and scoring well in math is really substantial...690 is a competitive score...Focus on your essays and with a unique background that you have you have your brownie points already in there :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 21:34
Good score mate. You need to be in a perfect mind state to score high in verbal, so it is ok. i also bombed mine. :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 03:59
Hi! I also scored 690 on my first attempt last 22nd of December. Congratulations!

I got a Q47 and V37.

ExcelGMAT, can I ask you what schools are you planning to apply?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 11:24
Thanks guys for writing back. So many of you have complemented me for this score. I have this funny feeling that this score is good but not great. I,m not trying to be a pig here but believe me I think 750 score is achievable.
I want to share few of my experiences. First of all, It was motivating to read all the posts here and know about different experiences.
Secondly, I had no idea what score I could acheive especially when i started preparing. I knew one thing that I can manage maths because I scored 96% in High school.
With parents who were practically indifferent and uninterested in my life and probably among the worst in the top 10 rankings, and who have a traumatic influence on my childhood, I took admission into occupational therapy. I should have started my career on the right path such as a Medical School-my first choice or Engg. School. Anyway no regrets now.

I wanted to prove something to myself in GMAT. I wanted to score high and very high but had no goals initially as I knew that I am out of touch with Quant especially. Though a non-native English Speaker, I have a good spoken English. I like Hollywood and I used to talk to woods to practise spoken English- Nobody knew it until now. But I knew that the level of English in GMAT is very high.
V-P Eng. asked me re my prep for Verbal.
Well, I really started from basics. I took online course with GMAX and I found it to be very useful with Sentence Correction and Quant as the instructor teaches you the basics and in some areas in Quant, I found that he taught a good alternative way. You can take GMAX online course. Actually, I might sell mine in the near future.
For good Critical REasoning and good Reading Comp., read read and read. REad Scientific American-read articles on Paleontology, archaelogy, astronomy, black holes, exaptation, read anything that you won't read otherwise, read the economist-read business articles. For sentence correction, mgmat book is good, og is the best for sc.
Also, for reading comp., you will have to find your own way. Towards the end of my prep, I had no difficulty with reading comp. My way is to go through all the passage in the beginning, take small notes and attack the q's. My speed was less than 2 min per question on reading comp. I was able to do 4 q's in 6 min and 6 q's in 9 min.. I would usually spend 2-3 min . reading the passage-depending on the difficulty, and then may be half a minute to 1 minute answering the q's . Feel free to go back to the passage if you have to. I had the confidence that I can make up for the lost time.
I must admit though that I was loosing it completely in the middle of the verbal section. So, i did some breathing exercises and brought myself back on track. If i were to give again, I would practise maintaining concentration for almost 4 hrs. Practice meditation, pray to your god, breathe and breathe. The reason that not many people do not score very well on Verbal is because of poor concentration towards the end. Practice any amount of stamina building , your body is going to be deprived of essential amino acids during the end. That is why I believe that GMat verbal or quant is not only about your knowledge of key concepts but also about your mind. So train your mind. To crack REading comp don't attack various book but instead attack reading habits. Increase your reading speed without compromising on comprehension.
So, understand the pattern of reasoning in critical reasoning, get that mind and eye that can spot the difference betn right and wrong. the most important advice I found was that"For every wrong answer you make 2 mistakes i.e. not identifying the right choice and picking a wring choice."

For Quant I did some Challenge Q's here. I also did kaplan, og-11, gmax online.
MGMAT cat's.
kaplan cat's.
In the end my prep was way short of what I wanted to do. I did not have enough time especially with a full time job. I could not complete all the prep material such as project GMAT, Gmat 800, more challenge q's etc.
I could not get the time even to do powerprep. I kept putting it off until the last week and .......... and in the end I didn't do it.
I must admit that if you believe in yourself and if you believe in god you can score 750 or more. It is achievable. Also have fun with GMAT . Enjoy it. I enjoyed every moment of my prep for Gmat. I shut down my social life, parted away from my wife for almost 2 months. She went home with our small baby and I studied here.
I plan to appear for GMat again in the near future just to score 770 because i know that i can do it.
I will write more as I remember.
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 07:45
i predict kaplan gmat 800 alone will improve your verbal score..

yeah..everyone always talks of 700+..

all the best with your retake !
  [#permalink] 12 Jan 2007, 07:45