Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 10:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

56% (02:15) correct 44% (01:14) wrong based on 13 sessions
468. Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he also won the loyalty of its citizens: the invading Danes were well aware of this weakness and used it to their advantage in 893.
(A) Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he a
(B) The fact that King Alfred had occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he had
(C) Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he
(D) The fact that King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean that he
(E) Just because King Alfred had occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 11:41
^ C ^

At first i thought that "the fact that" would be the correct usage but in B "had occupied" is wrong. In D there is "it" after the comma and it is redundant.

In A the subject is missing.

In E " had occupied" is wrong.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 19:49
I'll go for B.
I think starting sentence with ' The Fact ' sounds more apt than using
' Just because '.
That leaves B and D. D is wrong for the reason given by selene.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 09:28
OA is B.

Does this mean that "just because" is not idiomatic????
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 04:46
May be 'Just because' is not idiomatic. B looks better.
I also believe that 'had' is not wrong in B.
If we convert this sentence in present tense then we say:

The fact that King Alfred has occupied and fortified London does not mean that he has won the loyalty of its citizens.

Similary, In the past tense:

The fact that King Alfred had occupied and fortified London did not mean that he had won the loyalty of its citizens.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 38

Re: SC - King Alfred [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
"Just because" and "just like" are not idiomatic.

"Just as... so..." is idiomatic.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - King Alfred [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 13:14
Why we use Past perfect? There is no need to indicate that one event occurred before another.
Actually B looks better (the fact .... did not mean), but I excluded it because of wrong (as I thought) tense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - King Alfred [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 03:13
alexpiers wrote:
Why we use Past perfect? There is no need to indicate that one event occurred before another.
Actually B looks better (the fact .... did not mean), but I excluded it because of wrong (as I thought) tense.

Exactly!
But, among all the options, B was better.
I certainly agree that the use of past perfect was not necessary.(Especially, when there are explicit details of years in the statement)
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 08:57
Imo is b
1.- we should use had occupied, since one event ocurred before another. Then we only have choices b and e.
2.- choice E in incorrect, as there is no clear subject before the coma.
Therefore B is the answer

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:22
not sure..went with C, but B looks better..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:51
Its B. also

for the following three choices
(C) Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he
(D) The fact that King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean that he
(E) Just because King Alfred had occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he

where is the antecedent for "it"?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: McDonough '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:52
Actually past participle looks rational since there is a second part of the sentence.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 08:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2014, 08:28