Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just bombed the GMATS!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just bombed the GMATS!!! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 12:54
After 3 months of heavily prep, including formal Princeton Review classes and lots of practice tests, I ONLY got a 510!!! It was lower than any of the PR or Power Prep practices tests (peck score around 650). BTW, I was trying for a 700.

I am so demoralized. Does anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions for improvement? I am thinking about giving up. I felt like I gave it 100% and total failed.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 19:03
Dear ACF,

I am in your same boat, even though I have yet to take the test. What can I say? To me this is the toughest type of exam in the world. Every problem on the GMAT is a battle, and every problem is a new problem, with new traps and tricks to unfold. I probably would prepare faster for a quantum physics exam than for this. At least I would know what's on the test!

Take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one struggling. I have been at the OG and GMAT Club for two months now, and still don't even feel comfortable enough to take the PP. Although I don't know much about your prep style or the hours per day that you studied, I am sure that pressure must have had something to do with your performance. Had you taken the GMAT before?

I took the paper GMAT many years ago and performed very poorly. I did, however, come out of the exam having an idea of what I had done wrong. For instance, I knew that, despite my strong liberal arts background, I should have spent more time practicing verbal. What do you think happened? Was it the time factor?

With a solid 650 PP, anxiety must have affected you. Don't give up and keep trying. I probably have few chances of getting my target score by August. However, if I do not make it, I will apply next year and continue to do battle. And just think --I am shooting for middle of the road!

Share with us what you thought of the test. Trust me, there are more people in your shoes than there are those who have beaten 700. It's just that the ones who get 700 typically write about it.

Hang in there. Perhaps wait a week or two, go watch the new Star Wars movie, and then pick up the new OG, if it is available.

Cheers,

sastal

P.S. There has to be a better way than the GMAT. Unfortunately not in my lifetime.
Intern
Intern

I don't know what went wrong [#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 09:45
Hi Sastal,

Thank you very much for the response and for the encouragement. The most frustrating part is that I don’t understand what went wrong. It was my first time taking the GMATs, but I felt relaxed and I managed to finish all the questions on time. There were a few questions that I can’t figure out, particular on the math. I knew I didn’t score a 700, but thought I was close to a 650. I was completely shocked when I saw my score.

Overall, the test was much harder than the PR practice tests. I don’t think I can recommend Princeton Review -- the content seems too easy.

I think I did most of the problems from the latest OG. I am going to do the Kaplan assessment and practice plan from the book and CD. After, I am going to go back to problems in OG. Hopefully, the new OG will be out soon. Does anybody have any thoughts or experiences with Kaplan? I feel like I understand all of the content, but I guess I just need a lot more practice.

Best of luck to you – let me know how you make out. I agree there has to be a better way to assess business leadership potential than, “the primary purpose of the passage is toâ€
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 20:31
Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Do you feel like you screwed up on the questions in the beginning?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2005, 18:51
Dont give up. I preped like a madman b4 my first test and I got a 530. Make sure to take the kaplan tests with the essays. Study the OG. MAke sure you completely understand EVERY math concept in the test. I did all this and just scored a 740. you can too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2005, 08:26
Never give up, man. It might just be a bad day for you.

If you are not in the mood to study because of the score, try to take a break. Don't push yourself too hard, you have to adjust to it balance.

As for prep material, personally I think Kaplan is better than PR. But most importantly is participation on this site.

If you can give out the break down of your score, we might have some other suggestions.

Good luck
  [#permalink] 07 Jun 2005, 08:26