Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just did my GMAT V51, M50, Score 790. Yippee!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just did my GMAT V51, M50, Score 790. Yippee!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 13:29
All,

I haven't been a frequent poster here, but have used this forum mainly for challenging quantitative questions.

Now I feel a little guilty :oops: that I didn't post more often, as I've clearly benefitted from the input of others here, so it only seems fair to try and give something back.

I finished the Math with about 20 minutes to go, and the Verbal with about 18 minutes to go in the test. That had never happened to me in my practice tests :o

My study consisted of about 1 month, pretty unstructured, doing maybe a couple of hours per day. I used the OG, Princeton Review, and Kaplan books and CD's along with the Powerprep.

I did all the CAT practice tests I possibly could, as I think there is nothing quite like simulating test conditions.

My scores were:

Princeton Review
V45 M48 740
V39 M48 700
V38 M49 700
V42 M41 670

Kaplan
V50 M50 780
V45 M50 780 (doesn't sound right, but that's what it says)

Powerprep
V42 M48 730
V47 M50 780

I focused more heavily on the math than the verbal, as I found that once you understand the typical errors in SC (i.e. parallelism, pronoun errors, tense, idioms) it all becomes pretty intuitive, so no further study was really needed. Likewise with CR, and RC, study didn't really seem to help me much. I also found that, Princeton Review, Kaplan etc, had subtle differences from the OG, which were just enough to throw me off, and dent my confidence. That is reflected in my practice scores. I simply didn't agree with their logic at times, which I found frustrating. But rest assured, that's not an issue with the OG. Their questions seem better researched in my opinion.

So my advice on verbal would be to focus on the OG, (I did the last 50 questions from each section) and not worry too much about the other guides as they can also cause some confusion if you are not careful. I found the test to be very similar to the OG.

As for the math section: Princeton, Kaplan etc, along with this forum were really useful. By really focusing on more difficult questions, such as complex algebra, probability etc. by the time the test came the questions all seemed pretty easy in comparison. The difficult questions also teach you vital skills like when to backsolve by plugging in, and when to solve algebraically, which I think is super important, in saving time.

I realize I got a pretty good score, so some of you may be thinking that my prep is not very relevant to your study. Granted, I am a native english speaker which has some definite advantages, with recognition of idioms and reading speed, but in other areas it's almost a disadvantage in my opinion, as you have never really learned sentence structure. But I want to stress is that I really struggled at times with some of the math questions on this board, and was constantly in awe of how clever several of the posters here were. So DON'T PANIC if you find them difficult.

Now I'm off to buy a new laptop as a reward for doing the GMAT. I'll try and check back and answer any questions you have.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 13:53
Simply amazing!! No words left.
I have been visiting forums and reading GMAT experiences of people for almost 2 years now. But till now,I never read a score reading 780+ . Not to say that people dont get 790/800..just that nobody posted his/her 790/800 GMAT experience.
One point of caution though. As I said once, reading these experiences might push some of us to intrepret the experience of the poster in a way we want it to be. That's something which can be dangerous. This gentleman is most probably very gifted. Most of us have to achieve excellence in a hard way..so it's always better to not to underestimate the exam even if few people can kill it without much ado.
Once again three big cheers from the gmatclub community for this stupendous achievement.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 13:59
Congrats boyd. You only needed that +1 in quant and you would have got a perfect GMAT! I mean 51 is verbal is just astounding! This is the highest GMAT score I heard of on GMAT club, the former one being honghu's 780. Good luck with everything else boyd! :woohoo

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 14:40
Oh my we are having quite a ride in the club lately it looks like. ;) Congratulations!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 14:50
Yeah dude...DAM*! But I'm not surprised...I can't say I have ever seen such high Kaplan scores! Good job man!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 15:16
That's a huge score. Congrats for this inspiring success !
It is the first time I witness a 51 in verbal ! :pray:
Intern
Intern

Thanks all [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 16:14
Thank you all very much for the good wishes. It's particularly nice to get replies from Paul and Honghu, both of whom have been incredibly helpful to us all with so many great posts. But I also don't want to single out individuals as so many people contribute here. The great thing about forums like this is that we all share in the success of each other. I truly could not have achieved this alone.

I can't help but wonder which questions I got wrong now. No doubt they were some of the easier ones :lol: . I always seem to get the easiest ones wrong because I don't read the question or something!!

BTW. Congratulations on your fantastic score HongHu. I certainly don't want to "steal your thunder", as I think for you being a non native english speaker, your score is unbelievable.

Slightly off topic, but I was originally just going to apply to a business school here in Oregon (U of O) where I'm currently living. However it's not a great school in terms of rankings. Do you think my GMAT score would help me get into a better school? My undergraduate GPA is not great. Probably around 3.0 :oops: (I was a very lazy student 12 years ago), and I've always thought that would stop me getting into a good school.

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 16:28
Boyd any questions about your "academic deficiencies" are clubbered by your phenomenal GMAT score....and besides 12 years is a long time to remove yourself from those grades...personally i think the GMAT score will speak volumes to your academic ability! GO FOR IT MAN!!!!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Intern
Intern

Greenandwise, your confidence has given me a boost [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 16:34
Thanks for the encouragement.

Damn. Life was so simple and uncomplicated when I didn't have any options!!!!

I have some thinking to do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 16:35
Congrats Boyd...... U have done it.....

Both U and Hong hu have an excellent score. Hats off to both of you.

Keep it up and best of luck with your applications.
Intern
Intern

Message for CrackGMAT750 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 16:45
First of all, thanks for your comments. I just wanted to say that I agree with you 100% and hope I didn't belittle the GMAT exam in my earlier mail. Maybe in my post-test-euphoria, I overdid it a little :-D

That being said, I was genuinely surprised during the test. Maybe a lot had to do with the fact that some of the questions on this forum, and in Kaplan weren't so much difficult to solve, as difficult to understand for me. The official GMAT questions, while difficult, are very well written, and for me personally, that made a big difference.

I also want to be stressr that I did work hard for the test. Ironicall, the U of O, only requires 600 minimum GMAT, so several friends of mine couldn't understand why I took a month to study for the test, but I found the GMAT a really important confidence booster after so many years out of college. It was a means for me to proove to myself that I have what it takes.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 18:38
Boyd:
I don't have any words to describe your success. I've seen only once in some other forum, when someone else scored 790. OOOOOOOOOH!!
The score of 51 in Verbal is simply phenomenal and the underlining fact is that you had 18 minutes left in the exam.
Just hats off to you. I would strongly advise you to go for the top notch universities.

Aryan.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 18:55
Oh boy, what is going on.... last week 780 and this week 790.

Congratulations!!! and good luck with your admissions.

You may post your question regarding admissions, in Accepted.com sub-forum on this site.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 19:00
Amazing ... I think you must be really smart, sharp to achieve a 790.

Your Kaplan scores make me dizzy.
All the best. I think you should aim for top ten schools - It rains a lot in Oregon anyway :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 19:34
Just an awesome score 790!, only in dreams for me I guess, specially 51 in verbal, u shud teach us how to crack GMAT verbal, I am just speachless ! Congrats
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 19:48
Boyd,

Before starting your MBA, if you want to open a coaching class for GMAT, I will fly to Oregon to attend it.

Amit
--------------------------------
A Journey towards my goals
--------------------------------

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2005, 05:57
Oh! Boy! - sorry Boyd!. Where did the 10 go? Write to ETS and I think you'll get the remaining 10 points.

I think you should party like hell. I never knew such near perfect scores were even possible.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2005, 09:46
congratulations Boyd......Good luck with your applications... You should apply to a better school.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2005, 13:04
This is an amazing score Boyd..... vowwwww!!!!!!!!! and in a months time.
Enjoy and have fun..............
Intern
Intern

To answer some questions: [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2005, 15:26
Well the consensus seems to be to apply for a better school, so it sounds like that may be a sensible course of action for me.

A few people asked about my background. I did my undergraduate degree in the New Zealand in, of all things, Agricultural Science. But since graduating in 1993 have done a little of everything. My last job, which I just left, was as a Logistics Manager for a small importing company here in Oregon. Prior to that I worked for Compaq in the UK as a Business Analyst, and Nokia in Spain as a Project Manager. My work experience is pretty irregular as during my 20's I used every opportunity I could to see the world, by working and traveling. As a result I spent almost 4 out of the last 12 years, backpacking my way through more than 100 different countries. Great experience, but not what many employers are looking for :lol:

I'm also a competitive cyclist, and typically spend around 15 hours per week training. That may seem completely off topic, but I truly believe that sport really helps with focus. I'm curious if others among you find the same thing.

It's funny that a few people asked about 'those 10 points', as I couldn't help think the same thing. Stupid, but I guess it's human nature to never be 100% satisfied.

I wished I could provide some more constructive feedback on Verbal, but all I can repeat, is that having been through the OG, and understood the common SC errors, it just seemed to 'click' into place with the correct option almost popping out at me I found. I never really bothered in CR, as they always seemed fairly obvious to me, but I did focus a little in RC, on main point, and inference questions, as I found that initially I made the mistake of being either too broad or too narrow in my thinking with these types of questions.

I also found when they mention a statement from "line 12" for instance, read at least 10 lines before and after that line, as it's often a trick to catch out "the Joe Blogs" among us. But I think Princeton etc. say the same thing so I'm preaching to the choir here.

One thing which is probably sounds completely silly, I swear 80% of my answers were either A or E. It got to the point where I was a little paranoid that I was getting them all wrong, and joked to myself during the test that I could have just stuck E for everything and saved myself all that study!! I wouldn't recommend that technique to anyone here :-D , but thought it was worth mentioning as it was so apparent during the test.

Amitd,

I don't know whether you were serious or not about wanting help, but if so send me a PM, and we can discuss.
To answer some questions:   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2005, 15:26