Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just Finished U/Grad - Go Right Off To B-School???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Just Finished U/Grad - Go Right Off To B-School??? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 05:19
Need some help here…Our Daughter graduated from a top 15 ranked Univ in May. She traveled around Alaska for 3 months – came home took the GMAT and scored a “760”. Her original plan was to get a job – but she is now thinking about applying to “top 10” b-schools. She feels that she might be accepted by one or two schools due to her high under- grad GPA and good GMAT score.
Couple of things – she has no professional work background (yet) and there is the minor matter of how to pay for b-school.

Does anyone on this board have any advice for a nervous Dad???
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just Finished U/Grad - Go Right Off To B-School??? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
Don't worry (yet) about sticker prices! If your daughter is admitted, you never know what scholarships come out, and she could end up paying 100% or 0% of the price.

On a practical note, if your daughter were accepted to a T10 school, she would most likely compete in job recruiting as if she was an undergrad. Instead of interviewing for MBA-level associate consulting positions, she would interview for an undergrad-level analyst position instead (which comes with a decent salary, but half of the MBA one.) Almost every job listing on the Ross board requires work experience, 2 years being the smallest I've seen, 4 years being the most common.

Considering she has a great GPA/GMAT already, perhaps she could start applying for some jobs in business. Consulting is one in particular that doesn't care too much about her major.

I don't know if she's open to law given her interests or the state of it, but as a matter of comparison, a very high undergrad paired with a high LSAT would definitely grant her admission to many elite law schools where she would not be fighting an uphill battle relative to her classmates. So yeah, compare various graduate programs, because the MBA is not favorable for super-recent grads.

A great piece of advice passed on to me: the MBA is one of the easiest degrees in the world that will facilitate a complete career change. Don't burn this get-of-jail-free card before you've even started playing the game.

Good luck to your daughter!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Just Finished U/Grad - Go Right Off To B-School???   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2012, 07:23