Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 14:56
I know that 690 is not a score that should cause embarrassment. I know that it's actually pretty damn good score. However, I just missed my goal of 700 by a hair. I'm very disappointed with that. I feel like I can definitely improve on my Quant. I completely ran out of time I ended up guessing something like the last 10. I ended up with a 44 or 69th percentile. That's the worst score I've gotten in like 5 tests. I got 41 on Verbal or 92nd percentile. That's actually really good for me. I usually get much lower on verbal. I felt like it was relatively easy though. I don't know if I can duplicate this score. Does a 690 look THAT much worse than a 700? Should I consider retaking it? If so, when? I'm really sick of the GMAT right now and want a break.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 15:29
BTW, how about this stupidity? I only selected one school to send the score to. I thought that another screen would pop up for my other choices but it turned out that it I had to have the 5 on that screen. Talk about dropping the ball huh? I'm guessing there's no way that I can get the other 4 for free, huh?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 02:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
GmatNY86 wrote:
I know that 690 is not a score that should cause embarrassment. I know that it's actually pretty damn good score. However, I just missed my goal of 700 by a hair. I'm very disappointed with that. I feel like I can definitely improve on my Quant. I completely ran out of time I ended up guessing something like the last 10. I ended up with a 44 or 69th percentile. That's the worst score I've gotten in like 5 tests. I got 41 on Verbal or 92nd percentile. That's actually really good for me. I usually get much lower on verbal. I felt like it was relatively easy though. I don't know if I can duplicate this score. Does a 690 look THAT much worse than a 700? Should I consider retaking it? If so, when? I'm really sick of the GMAT right now and want a break.


Remember: The GMAT score is simply the "get on or off the table" with adcomms. You either get in the look at again pile or the scrap pile. It can be part of the final differentiating factor, but up front, it's simply the trash or look at pile.

690 is fine for most tier one schools. If you read the admin/ding threads, you will see people with 780s who got rejected from more places he/she was accepted. Focus on your application and your essays.

If you feel that strongly about breaking the 700 mark, go for it. I personally would stick with the 690 and focus to get all my apps in for R2.



GmatNY86 wrote:
BTW, how about this stupidity? I only selected one school to send the score to. I thought that another screen would pop up for my other choices but it turned out that it I had to have the 5 on that screen. Talk about dropping the ball huh? I'm guessing there's no way that I can get the other 4 for free, huh?


You should be able to cash in on the included five (5) schools still:

http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/GMATScor ... chools.htm

Quote:
Ordering Additional Score Reports

If you did not select any GMAT programs to receive your scores on the day of your exam, or if you would like to send your scores to more than the five (5) programs you selected on your test day, you may order Additional Score Reports to be sent to schools online, by phone, by fax, or by mail for a fee. When you order an Additional Score Report to be sent to a school, you will also receive a copy. To order a duplicate candidate copy of your score report (to be sent to you directly), please contact us by phone.


Contact the GMAC if for some reason you can not submit the four remaining score releases. If you recently took the exam (within the last week or two) you should be able to get your five score submissions.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 03:58
mohater wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
I know that 690 is not a score that should cause embarrassment. I know that it's actually pretty damn good score. However, I just missed my goal of 700 by a hair. I'm very disappointed with that. I feel like I can definitely improve on my Quant. I completely ran out of time I ended up guessing something like the last 10. I ended up with a 44 or 69th percentile. That's the worst score I've gotten in like 5 tests. I got 41 on Verbal or 92nd percentile. That's actually really good for me. I usually get much lower on verbal. I felt like it was relatively easy though. I don't know if I can duplicate this score. Does a 690 look THAT much worse than a 700? Should I consider retaking it? If so, when? I'm really sick of the GMAT right now and want a break.


Remember: The GMAT score is simply the "get on or off the table" with adcomms. You either get in the look at again pile or the scrap pile. It can be part of the final differentiating factor, but up front, it's simply the trash or look at pile.

690 is fine for most tier one schools. If you read the admin/ding threads, you will see people with 780s who got rejected from more places he/she was accepted. Focus on your application and your essays.

If you feel that strongly about breaking the 700 mark, go for it. I personally would stick with the 690 and focus to get all my apps in for R2.



GmatNY86 wrote:
BTW, how about this stupidity? I only selected one school to send the score to. I thought that another screen would pop up for my other choices but it turned out that it I had to have the 5 on that screen. Talk about dropping the ball huh? I'm guessing there's no way that I can get the other 4 for free, huh?


You should be able to cash in on the included five (5) schools still:

http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/GMATScor ... chools.htm

Quote:
Ordering Additional Score Reports

If you did not select any GMAT programs to receive your scores on the day of your exam, or if you would like to send your scores to more than the five (5) programs you selected on your test day, you may order Additional Score Reports to be sent to schools online, by phone, by fax, or by mail for a fee. When you order an Additional Score Report to be sent to a school, you will also receive a copy. To order a duplicate candidate copy of your score report (to be sent to you directly), please contact us by phone.


Contact the GMAC if for some reason you can not submit the four remaining score releases. If you recently took the exam (within the last week or two) you should be able to get your five score submissions.


Thanks for your help on both counts, friend. I don't think I feel that strongly about a 700 if it doesn't give that much of an advantage over a 690. Although, I do wonder how my relatively low Quant score (44) will be looked if I go for an MBA in finance. Regarding contacting the GMAC, it's not that I couldn't, it's just that I misunderstood how to. Worth a shot. BTW, I'm having trouble with my 5th choice. From the other forums I got that NYU, Columbia, and University of Chicago have good finance programs, those (as well as Indiana- have family there and know someone that went there) are my top 4 choices. What other schools are good for finance (or accounting)?
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 05:28
GmatNY86 wrote:
...
BTW, I'm having trouble with my 5th choice. From the other forums I got that NYU, Columbia, and University of Chicago have good finance programs, those (as well as Indiana- have family there and know someone that went there) are my top 4 choices. What other schools are good for finance (or accounting)?


Finance schools are the BIG names (and what most people gun for).

HBS, Wharton, Booth, NYU, UCLA, etc.

Some of the big Accounting Schools:
Illinois, Indiana, Brigham Young, Texas, Rochester, Iowa, or Notre Dame, etc.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 05:35
mohater wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
...
BTW, I'm having trouble with my 5th choice. From the other forums I got that NYU, Columbia, and University of Chicago have good finance programs, those (as well as Indiana- have family there and know someone that went there) are my top 4 choices. What other schools are good for finance (or accounting)?


Finance schools are the BIG names (and what most people gun for).

HBS, Wharton, Booth, NYU, UCLA, etc.

Some of the big Accounting Schools:
Illinois, Indiana, Brigham Young, Texas, Rochester, Iowa, or Notre Dame, etc.


Thanks. I want to go for something a little lower. I think that Columbia and Chicago are my reach picks. How about Duke? That's a bit lower tier. Ross is Marketing, right? I think that HBS and Wharton are out of my league (then again so are Booth and Columbia probably, I don't think they're far behind those schools if at all).
GMAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 08:06
GmatNY86 wrote:
Thanks. I want to go for something a little lower. I think that Columbia and Chicago are my reach picks. How about Duke? That's a bit lower tier. Ross is Marketing, right? I think that HBS and Wharton are out of my league (then again so are Booth and Columbia probably, I don't think they're far behind those schools if at all).


Ross isn't a big marketing school. Ross undergrad is big for finance and consulting. MBA is strategy, consulting and some finance. Start up/venture is growing at Toss as well.

This thread will probably give you some more info you're looking for:
the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html#p617871
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11989
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7299 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 20:23
Expert's post
GmatNY86 wrote:
I know that 690 is not a score that should cause embarrassment. I know that it's actually pretty damn good score. However, I just missed my goal of 700 by a hair. I'm very disappointed with that. I feel like I can definitely improve on my Quant. I completely ran out of time I ended up guessing something like the last 10. I ended up with a 44 or 69th percentile. That's the worst score I've gotten in like 5 tests. I got 41 on Verbal or 92nd percentile. That's actually really good for me. I usually get much lower on verbal. I felt like it was relatively easy though. I don't know if I can duplicate this score. Does a 690 look THAT much worse than a 700? Should I consider retaking it? If so, when? I'm really sick of the GMAT right now and want a break.


Congratulations!!!
A coulple of quick questions:
1. what was your final Kaplan score before the GMAT?
2. what are you impressions of the Kaplan class? (would help a lot if you can post a new thread about your Kaplan experience)


Now about your question - don't waste your time. You have a great score that is just slightly below the average for any school in the universe. The only possible reasons to retake would be a scholarship based on GMAT score or if you were applying to a finance-heavy school (Q44).
See this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html
Everyone always feels that they could have done better on the GMAT when they walk out.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 21:01
mohater wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
Thanks. I want to go for something a little lower. I think that Columbia and Chicago are my reach picks. How about Duke? That's a bit lower tier. Ross is Marketing, right? I think that HBS and Wharton are out of my league (then again so are Booth and Columbia probably, I don't think they're far behind those schools if at all).


Ross isn't a big marketing school. Ross undergrad is big for finance and consulting. MBA is strategy, consulting and some finance. Start up/venture is growing at Toss as well.

This thread will probably give you some more info you're looking for:
the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html#p617871


Thanks man for your help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 21:20
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
I know that 690 is not a score that should cause embarrassment. I know that it's actually pretty damn good score. However, I just missed my goal of 700 by a hair. I'm very disappointed with that. I feel like I can definitely improve on my Quant. I completely ran out of time I ended up guessing something like the last 10. I ended up with a 44 or 69th percentile. That's the worst score I've gotten in like 5 tests. I got 41 on Verbal or 92nd percentile. That's actually really good for me. I usually get much lower on verbal. I felt like it was relatively easy though. I don't know if I can duplicate this score. Does a 690 look THAT much worse than a 700? Should I consider retaking it? If so, when? I'm really sick of the GMAT right now and want a break.


Congratulations!!!
A coulple of quick questions:
1. what was your final Kaplan score before the GMAT?
2. what are you impressions of the Kaplan class? (would help a lot if you can post a new thread about your Kaplan experience)


Now about your question - don't waste your time. You have a great score that is just slightly below the average for any school in the universe. The only possible reasons to retake would be a scholarship based on GMAT score or if you were applying to a finance-heavy school (Q44).
See this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html
Everyone always feels that they could have done better on the GMAT when they walk out.


Thanks for the congrats.

1) My final Kaplan score was a 650. Though I did have a 710. Kaplan's grading system is screwy if the splits here really reflect the actual GMAT score. I had a Q48 and V45 and only got a 710 on my secodn to last test. I saw someone here who had a Q47 and V44 and got something like 740.

2) I'll share tomorrow when it's not 1AM, lol.

Regarding, finance heavy schools. I was planning on going into finance and try for NYU. Then again I have a friend that got a 710 and had her Quant in the 60s percentile (verbal was 99th percentile though). What bothers me is that I've been getting at least 75th percentile in quant for the last 4 tests. I think I overestimated when I wrote 5. My last 4 quant percentiles were: 88th (49), 75th, 84th (48), and 75th (I don't remember what the scaled score was for 75th percentile probably 46 since I got a 47 for 79th earlier in my studies). I don't think it was a lack of knowledge this time, it was my pacing. While nerves may have not hurt my concentration I think they hurt in that I tried too hard to get questions right or something and ended up with no time left. My verbal was close to that 92nd percentile only twice in all of my tests (both times I got 98th percentile (45), go figure) I got in the 60s otherwise usually. I feel like I got really lucky with easy reading comps giving me a lot of points there and leaving me with a lot of time. So I think that while I may improve my quant I may hurt my verbal. Maybe I'll end up with a lower score.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11989
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7299 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 21:53
Expert's post
Sounds like you are still picking between moving on and retaking.

I'd say the only downside of retaking is spending time on the GMAT. Even if you get 610 on the next attempt, that will not impact your admissions since you have 690 already, so the main drawback is time invested into retake - do you realistically have it?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 14:52
bb wrote:
Sounds like you are still picking between moving on and retaking.

I'd say the only downside of retaking is spending time on the GMAT. Even if you get 610 on the next attempt, that will not impact your admissions since you have 690 already, so the main drawback is time invested into retake - do you realistically have it?


I have it. However, do I want to go through all of that again? No. At least not right now. I don't think that's a good reason , though. lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 15:02
bb, so if I want to go to a finance heavy school are you saying that I should retake it? Or do you mean that that's the only way it would make even the slightest sense (well that and a scholarship)?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11989
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7299 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 15:57
Expert's post
GmatNY86 wrote:
bb, so if I want to go to a finance heavy school are you saying that I should retake it? Or do you mean that that's the only way it would make even the slightest sense (well that and a scholarship)?


Those would be the only potential factors to get it on your radar, but otherwise, I would not even waste time thinking about it.

I also PM'ed this guy: gmat-690-when-should-i-retake-63101.html just in case to see where he was now (that's back from 2008).
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 16:05
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
bb, so if I want to go to a finance heavy school are you saying that I should retake it? Or do you mean that that's the only way it would make even the slightest sense (well that and a scholarship)?


Those would be the only potential factors to get it on your radar, but otherwise, I would not even waste time thinking about it.

I also PM'ed this guy: gmat-690-when-should-i-retake-63101.html just in case to see where he was now (that's back from 2008).


One difference is that my quant has been decent to good for last few tests. 75th perentile isn't great, but I think it might've gotten me a 700 this time. I also hit 84th and 88th percentile. I hit 79th a while back. Once again though my verbal hasn't been very good there's no guarantees that even if I get a good quant score that my score would improve.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 12:30
First off, congrats on the great score! I was actually in the same boat, scored a 690 the first time and felt I could have done better. I took a break from studying and realized I wanted to take it again, so I cracked the GMAT books and 7 months later I went in and scored a 710. Not a huge difference, but breaking the 700 barrier I think will make a big difference.

If you feel you can do better on Quant, I would recommend taking it again, but set a goal for yourself and set a date now. I found that I was very un-motivated until I actually scheduled the date and paid the $250. :)

Look at the pros and cons:

Pros - Most top schools let you choose your best score to use, so if you do worse, then at least you have a 690 to fall back on. Also, you get a second chance to send all scores to 5 schools (since all scores are reported the second time around), so that'll make up for not sending the 690 out the first time. Lastly, if you do break 700, it will show schools that you are determined to improve and compete to get into a great program.

Cons - more GMAT studying :(

Best of luck whatever you do! I know what you mean by being done with GMAT studying!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 15:31
evensder wrote:
First off, congrats on the great score! I was actually in the same boat, scored a 690 the first time and felt I could have done better. I took a break from studying and realized I wanted to take it again, so I cracked the GMAT books and 7 months later I went in and scored a 710. Not a huge difference, but breaking the 700 barrier I think will make a big difference.

If you feel you can do better on Quant, I would recommend taking it again, but set a goal for yourself and set a date now. I found that I was very un-motivated until I actually scheduled the date and paid the $250. :)

Look at the pros and cons:

Pros - Most top schools let you choose your best score to use, so if you do worse, then at least you have a 690 to fall back on. Also, you get a second chance to send all scores to 5 schools (since all scores are reported the second time around), so that'll make up for not sending the 690 out the first time. Lastly, if you do break 700, it will show schools that you are determined to improve and compete to get into a great program.

Cons - more GMAT studying :(

Best of luck whatever you do! I know what you mean by being done with GMAT studying!


Thanks. My only problem is, while optimistically I feel like I can improve the quant, I don't know about the verbal. I did well twice in verbal in practice. Outside of those 2 tests I haven't been doing that great in verbal. It may not matter though, if I get a lower score.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 18:46
Wow, this post is so timely. Thanks, GmatNY86! :-D I just recently took the GMAT and I scored a 680 (Q42 V40), so I've been going through the "re-take debate" as well. I took a VeritasPrep class and topped out around 710 on my last couple Veritas Simulator tests. I never got above 44 on either section, so even with a re-take, I'm looking to gain a max of 30 points. I was also aiming for that 700 but can't decide if the whole ordeal is worth another go, especially with Round2 apps looming. I come from what I THINK is a somewhat non-traditional background (??) -- undergrad degree was in Journalism and have worked in Web marketing for the past few years since grad -- so I felt like I needed this score to show I could keep pace in school (esp. quant). I work as a Web analyst now, but that doesn't seem sufficient.

I'll be curious to hear if you decide to re-take the test.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 22:40
It's one year later, and a new GMAT taker (me) is in the same situation. I took the GMAT last Thursday and got 690 (V41, Q43). In terms of percentile, it's 92% for verbal and 65% for quant.

So I am wondering what the 690 scorers ended up deciding on doing. I am not sure if I can repeat my verbal score either because it is definitely on the higher end of all my practice test scores. As for quants, I ran out of time at the end so I ended up clicking thru the last 5 questions and accidentally left the last question blank when the time was up.

I plan to apply this year so time is an important factor for me. If I retake the GMAT in a month (1st day I can retake the test is on 10/18), I will have to take time out to study versus spending the time to write the essays. Also, my #1 choice is MIT Sloan, the Round 1 deadline for Sloan is 10/26. If I retake the GMAT, that will leave me little to no time to prepare for my essays. I am looking at other Finance schools as well (HBS, Booth, etc). Does having a low quant score affect my chances with the top-tier Finance schools?

Also, I do need a high GMAT score because I have a lower-than-average GPA. But on the other hand, I already work in the financial industry so my quant skill has been "tested" in a way. I can't decide. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:22
to take the test again awould be penny wise , pound foolish...
Re: Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake?   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 08:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Just got back from writing the GMAT, 690 (42Q/42V) rewrite? haqsha23 4 28 Aug 2013, 12:59
GMAT 690 Retake? kyshah 1 15 Jun 2013, 20:46
1 GMAT retake: 650 to 690 lawgirl 5 02 Nov 2010, 07:32
just got a 690 :( sharadverma 1 22 Jun 2006, 12:22
Experts publish their posts in the topic 690 GMAT - retake gmat1976 3 11 Sep 2004, 21:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Just got a 690 on the GMAT, retake?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.