Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 06:47
I wanted to get the sense from eveyone of just how powerful the HBS brand really is. I read and hear many things such as:

1. HBS can get you any job around the world.
2. Allow you to easily raise capital for a start up venture
3. The ability to easily get girls by just dropping the name. (Small excerpt from articel)

"In the Boston area, Harvard MBAs are considered the best possible catch for young women, and the so-called Harvard effect holds sway over the rest of the world as well. Trading on the HBS aura is known as “dropping the H-bomb,” and the HBSer on the prowl will find it an effective weapon on anyone from cocktail waitresses to Wellesley students to MBAs of lesser schools."

and many more!

What do you guys think? Is the HBS brand that powerful whereby any mention of the name will put you a significant advantage over another.

Can the same be said for Wharton and Stanford?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 07:18
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 07:53
You're right, there are some very shallow people in this world.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 08:33
As a person who group up not too far from Boston, I must say if you drop the HBS bomb in a bar you are more likely to get beat up than to impress a girl and pick her up. In my experiences there are far more negatives than positives in most native massachusetts folks' minds.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 08:38
I think the reason people have such a disdain for it is that attitude people have thinking it's going to get them special treatement...well positive special treatment. Beating someone up is certainly giving them special treatment :-D

I visited a friend of mine in Jan. 07 that had just graduated from Harvard's KSG. If asked how he found his way to Boston from Oklahoma he simply says to go to grad school. He made it a point to not say Harvard. He said too many people judge you with their image of what Harvard people are like.

riverripper wrote:
As a person who group up not too far from Boston, I must say if you drop the HBS bomb in a bar you are more likely to get beat up than to impress a girl and pick her up. In my experiences there are far more negatives than positives in most native massachusetts folks' minds.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

9 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [9] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
I heard one time that a guy hit a deer with his car. The poor thing was wedged in his grill. He did not know what to do so he tried the only thing he could think of......he put his hands on the deer corpse and said "I am a Harvard MBA" and the deer came back to life, fixed the car damage, and ran back into the woods. True story.

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 11:50
brilliant retort! :-D
rca215 wrote:
:facepalm:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 13:27
HBS graduates can slam revolving doors.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 13:34
HBS grads can kick Chuck Norris's ass.

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1551 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 15:26
rca215 wrote:
:facepalm:

:psyduck:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 08:55
raabenb wrote:
I heard one time that a guy hit a deer with his car. The poor thing was wedged in his grill. He did not know what to do so he tried the only thing he could think of......he put his hands on the deer corpse and said "I am a Harvard MBA" and the deer came back to life, fixed the car damage, and ran back into the woods. True story.

funniest thing i've read in years
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 01:30
raabenb wrote:

priceless... +1 kudos. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 03:54
raabenb wrote:

Lol :lol:
Amazing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 04:23
Quote:
"In the Boston area, Harvard MBAs are considered the best possible catch for young women, and the so-called Harvard effect holds sway over the rest of the world as well. Trading on the HBS aura is known as “dropping the H-bomb,” and the HBSer on the prowl will find it an effective weapon on anyone from cocktail waitresses to Wellesley students to MBAs of lesser schools."

Maybe true, maybe not true, but the fact is that his quote is from http://www.asktheharvardmba.com...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 13:04
A guy I knew in High School went to Harvard for undergrad. We were in a bar one day when a really drunk guy walked up to our table and looked at the Harvard guy and said "hey you! did you murder somebody?" and Harvard guy actually opened up his wallet, pulled out his harvard student ID and said "no, i go to harvard."...drunk guy walked away.

A girl I know always talks about how she went to Harvard law. turns out that she went to Boalt (great school btw) but went to Harvard law for a semester. but to this day she tells everyone that she went to Harvard law. she went on a date with a friend of mine and my friend told me when they started talking it went something like this:

Harvard Girl: I can't tell you what I do for a living because you'll be too intimidated
My friend: uh, don't worry, i won't be.
HG: ok, i'm a district attorney.
friend: oh cool.
HG: But i really can't tell you where i went to school or else you'll be really intimidated
friend: uh (rolling his eyes at this point), you really don't have to worry about that...
HG: ok, i went to harvard. are you intimidated?
friend: uh, no.
HG: why not?
friend....on and on...short date.

I think the brand names goes pretty far and works well if you take the "modest" approach where you don't bring it up but wait until someone asks and then say "well, I went to Harvard".

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Last edited by RVD on 05 Aug 2008, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 15:20
^^^ Correct.

BTW, I am officially taking this quote for my profile:

"I heard one time that a guy hit a deer with his car. The poor thing was wedged in his grill. He did not know what to do so he tried the only thing he could think of......he put his hands on the deer corpse and said "I am a Harvard MBA" and the deer came back to life, fixed the car damage, and ran back into the woods. True story."
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:10
Wellesley students?

what do they have to do with any of this?
:lol:
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:21
Calala22 wrote:
Wellesley students?

stereotypical girls in search or MRS degree?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:29
dabots wrote:
Calala22 wrote:
Wellesley students?

stereotypical girls in search or MRS degree?

As opposed to girls... elsewhere?

I thought that stereotype was an exaggeration by other undergrad girls in the area with little to no real proof.
I didn't know it was adopted by grad students as well. That's unfortunate.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:21
It has always amazed me how leftover rumors and stereotypes seem to stick around college campuses. I was never in a frat back in college, but there was one particular that was known as the "rape" frat. A Beta Theta Pi memeber had been accused of rape back in the late '50's/early '60's...and they have been suffering from it ever since! Not that what happened 40 years ago was excusable, but they are still known as Beta Date-a Rape-a, kind of interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure the Wellseley MRS thing is a leftover from the '50's as well.
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2008, 09:21