Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q79 V83 DI79
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618629 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AnkurGMAT20 wrote:
Bunuel, this one is asked in Official Mock. Please tag it.

Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in [#permalink]
Hi,

In a similar usage of just like, I have a confusion on below sentence:

1. researchers have shown that Neanderthals walked upright just like modern humans

are we comparing the clause 'Neanderthals walked'' where 'walked' is an action verb and not a static verb.

Is the usage correct here?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi,

1. researchers have shown that Neanderthals walked upright just like modern humans

are we comparing the clause 'Neanderthals walked'' where 'walked' is an action verb and not a static verb.

Yes.
"(Just) like xxx" sets up a comparison between the noun "xxx" and the preceding subject. This construction can work for any subject + verb, as long as the intended meaning is that the preceding verb/action applies to both "xxx" and the preceding subject.

In other words,
Yyy does zzz, (just) like xxx —OR— (Just) like xxx, yyy does zzz
means that "yyy" does "zzz" AND that "xxx" ALSO does "zzz".

This usage isn't affected by whether the verb part (which I've written here as "does zzz") is an action or a state. E.g., the above idea can be written either way:
Neanderthals walked upright just like modern humans.
Neanderthals were bipedal like modern humans.

My main complaint about this sentence is that it's a comparison between two observations in different timeframes, so, ideally, it should be written with two verbs in different, individually appropriate tenses—which in turn requires us to replace "like" with "as", since we're now writing a comparison of two whole clauses:
Neanderthals walked upright just as modern humans do.
Neanderthals were bipedal, as are modern humans.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep

Thank you Ron for such a detailed clarification.

I have a few follow-ups to strengthen my understanding.

Is the usage correct? Have I followed you correctly?

1. He had often been ill like a child

2. the student worked as a sketch artist ( 'as' because it describes a role. 'like' can not be used here)

3. Coal burning released as much radioactivity like the three-mile island accident

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi,

Yes.
"(Just) like xxx" sets up a comparison between the noun "xxx" and the preceding subject. This construction can work for any subject + verb, as long as the intended meaning is that the preceding verb/action applies to both "xxx" and the preceding subject.

In other words,
Yyy does zzz, (just) like xxx —OR— (Just) like xxx, yyy does zzz
means that "yyy" does "zzz" AND that "xxx" ALSO does "zzz".

This usage isn't affected by whether the verb part (which I've written here as "does zzz") is an action or a state. E.g., the above idea can be written either way:
Neanderthals walked upright just like modern humans.
Neanderthals were bipedal like modern humans.

My main complaint about this sentence is that it's a comparison between two observations in different timeframes, so, ideally, it should be written with two verbs in different, individually appropriate tenses—which in turn requires us to replace "like" with "as", since we're now writing a comparison of two whole clauses:
Neanderthals walked upright just as modern humans do.
Neanderthals were bipedal, as are modern humans.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
himanshu0123 wrote:
... Is the usage correct? ...

2. the student worked as a sketch artist ( 'as' because it describes a role. 'like' can not be used here)

3. Coal burning released as much radioactivity like the three-mile island accident

Sentence 1: What you are trying to say is not clear. If you mean that he had often been ill when he was a child, then the usage is incorrect.

Sentence 2: correct

Sentence 3: Wrong idiom
The proper phrasing is as much as. The sentence should be 'Coal burning released as much radioactivity as the three-mile island accident (did/had done).'

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

I think what you mean here is that kids get sick quite often, and so getting sick OFTEN is what's "childlike"? If so, then it's better to write the sentence with a comma: He has often been ill, like a child. ...or, with perhaps even more clarity, He has been ill often, like a child.

The problem with NOT using a comma is that the default interpretation assigns the modifier to the closest and smallest available phrase (as is the case for other no-comma modifiers).
In your original sentence, that would just be "been ill". I.e., the way you originally wrote this sentence, it would be understood by default to mean "Quite often, he has been sick like a child"... whatever that means! At very best it's ambiguous.

Quote:

100% correct.

Quote:

Nope. The properly idiomatic phrasing is "as [ADJ/ADV] as ..."
so, here, you'd write "as much radioactivity as..."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts