Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just like the background in art history need by an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 15:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:50) correct 12% (01:09) wrong based on 199 sessions
Just like the background in art history need by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the nautical archaeologist needs specialized knowledge of the history of ship design in order to understand shipwrecks.

A) Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the
B) Just as an archaeologist who needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, a
C) Just as an archaeologist needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, so a
D) Like the archaeologist who evaluates finds of ancient art and requires a background in art history, so the
E) As evaluating finds of ancient art requires an archaeologist who has the background in art history, so the

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought B, but the OE is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background in art history by an archaeologist [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 16:30
I thought C and then checked spoiler

Problem with B - First , there is no need for Who
Second , there should be a comma before "Who"

Always tag your question

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background in art history by an archaeologist [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Just like the background in art history need by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the nautical archaeologist needs specialized knowledge of the history of ship design in order to understand shipwrecks.

A) Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the
B) Just as an archaeologist who needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, a
C) Just as an archaeologist needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, so a
D) Like the archaeologist who evaluates finds of ancient art and requires a background in art history, so the
E) As evaluating finds of ancient art requires an archaeologist who has the background in art history, so the

B) Just as an archaeologist who needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, a -Parallelism error

OA - C

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Background in art history by an archaeologist [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 20:05
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

C has correct idiom just as... so

E would have been more apt because it avoids just, since just is always wordy, but it breaks parallelism
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 23:48
With choice C, shouldn't it be like .... so does a ...

I picked B because C was lacking the "does" but I'm guessing does can be abbreviated in this instance?

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks,
Diana
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
How about D? I thought "Like" is used to describe a noun.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
Please check the word "evaluates" in D, changes the meaning intended.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 75

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:46

As we can see the BOLD letters mismatch with their BOLD mates, option (C) has the best usage of "just as...so"
needs a background is placed paralleled with needs specialized .

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 454 [4] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

The passive construction, 'needed by...' is wordy.

We do not want to use the relative pronoun 'who', which in this case, limits the scope of archaeologists. We want to make sure that we are comparing 'archaeologist needs' to 'nautical archaeologist needs', thereby maintaining parallelism.

The proper idiomatic construction, 'just as...so' is combined with the proper parallelism: 'archaeologist needs'...'nautical archaeologist needs'. The Answer

Improper idiomatic construction.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 01:36

A) Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the incorrect for multiple reasons
1. Lacks parallelism 2. passive construction 3. Just like is bad,bad,bad

B) Just as an archaeologist who needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, a who is unneccessary
C) Just as an archaeologist needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, so a correct idiom just as...so, maintains parallelism
D) Like the archaeologist who evaluates finds of ancient art and requires a background in art history, so the incorrect idiom
E) As evaluating finds of ancient art requires an archaeologist who has the background in art history, so the meaning issue

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
I also can go to C

E is gramatical and logic but, compared to C, it is not so parallel. Meaning in C is better.

I doubt this is from gmatprep. gmatprep sc never ask us to find a reason to eliminate E.

pls, post the screenshot of this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 85

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 14:00
tanviet wrote:
I also can go to C

E is gramatical and logic but, compared to C, it is not so parallel. Meaning in C is better.

I doubt this is from gmatprep. gmatprep sc never ask us to find a reason to eliminate E.

pls, post the screenshot of this question.

I can ensure you that this is a SC from GMATPREP .. E is breaking parallelism

C is correct because it uses the correct idiom : Just as .. So ... and the portions are perfectly parallel ..

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 238

CAT Tests
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 04:09
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

C is the correct answer.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 16:08
Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the nautical archaeologist needs specialized knowledge of the history of ship design in order to understand shipwrecks.

First look: idiom(just as, so), parallelism, like versus as

A) Just like the background in art history needed by an archaeologist in order to evaluate finds of ancient art, the Wrong - "just like" is not an idiom; "like" as a preposition carries nouns follow (never clauses); verb tense "needed is not parallel with "needs"; "so" needed to complete idiom ("just as, so")

B) Just as an archaeologist who needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, a Wrong - "Just as" in first clause must have "so" in second clause; relative pronoun "who" is not parallel with second clause

C) Just as an archaeologist needs a background in art history to evaluate finds of ancient art, so a Correct

D) Like the archaeologist who evaluates finds of ancient art and requires a background in art history, so the Wrong - "like" and "so" are not idiomatic; "like" as a preposition carries nouns follow (never clauses); "who" is not parallel with second clause

E) As evaluating finds of ancient art requires an archaeologist who has the background in art history, so the Wrong - clauses are not parallel, so the idiom (as x, so y) does not work

IMO C

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 01:37
the pattern of choice E is grammatical. but E contain the illogic comparision

evaluating required as the archeologist needs

is not logic comparision

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 82

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 04:27
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

On the basis of meaning I chose C..

bt wat i think like shud b used to compare noun?Experts?? evey choice that contain like is either wordy or illogical comparison.

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just like the background in art history need by an [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 01:43
ChrisLele wrote:

The passive construction, 'needed by...' is wordy.

We do not want to use the relative pronoun 'who', which in this case, limits the scope of archaeologists. We want to make sure that we are comparing 'archaeologist needs' to 'nautical archaeologist needs', thereby maintaining parallelism.

The proper idiomatic construction, 'just as...so' is combined with the proper parallelism: 'archaeologist needs'...'nautical archaeologist needs'. The Answer

I came across this post and saw many questions that i had regarding the use of like and as.

Let me add my two cents to this. Maybe it will help. :)

Like is used to compare "things" or nouns. e.g. Paul is a champion in the district just like his sister Ann was four years ago.

As is used to compare phrases e.g. Just as Paul's team is the best in the district, Ann's team is the best in the country.

In the question above choice C maintains this // parallel structure using "just as a.. needs a" and "so a.... needs a "

"as" here is used compare both phrases.

I hope this helps :-D

~the only way we learn is by trying~
Re: Just like the background in art history need by an   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2014, 01:43