Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [5]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Just over 5% of road fatalities in 2009 have been caused by [#permalink]
Kudos
Spovil wrote:
B is the correct answer

Meaning is pretty clear. Let me put forth answer analysis.

- E has fewer just after comma. It modifies the entire clause which is wrong. It should modify only fatalities
- As number of fatalities is countable, fewer than should be used.
- B uses % of fatalities as subject directly without being stated

but the comparison here is between the percentage of fatalities caused by speeding vehicles in 2009 and percentage of fatalities caused by drunk drivers, rather between the number of fatalities. percentage is an uncountable noun so less is i guess more appropriate here.

Experts need your comment in this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Road fatalities [#permalink]
Kudos
rphardu wrote:
bharatemail wrote:
Just over 5% of road fatalities in 2009 have been caused by speeding vehicles – less than those caused by drunk drivers.

A. vehicles – less than those caused
B. vehicles - fewer than have been caused
C. vehicles, which is fewer than those
D. vehicles, a number that is lower than the fatalities
E. vehicles, fewer than the ones caused

In the OA, Do you think that word "that" is missing to have a parallel structure. Please comment ?

Hi bharatemail and sgupta0827,
Option A : Wrong because road fatalities is countable noun and we can not use less for that. Fewer is the correct option.
Option C : Which is modifying preceding noun "Vehicle", so vehicles is fewer than those... = Wrong and moreover vehicles are plural.
Option D : In "a number of X " is plural so can not be followed by "is" but here a number...........modifying vehicles so is wrong.
Option E : Usage of ones (there is nothing like ones, we have one and one's) is incorrect.

So only option B is best in all.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed, please don't forget to give Kudos.

Thanks! I agree with your explanation. Yet somehow B doesn't sound right to my ears. I am not able to spot any error in B, however. Do you know how can we make B sound better? Just wanted to know out of curiosity. I hope it's not too much trouble for you. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
rphardu wrote:
Thanks sgupta0827, Kudos to you for further analyzing answer choices.
It seems that correct structure should be :vehicles - fewer than those/some pronoun have been caused by drunk drivers.
The problem with it is that pronoun can refer to either Vehicles or fatalities.

Thanks rphardu for your prompt response! In this question, I am more concerned about the use "have been" than really about missing pronoun. Isn't "have been" implicit even if we miss it in the appositive?

Isn't "fewer than caused by drunk drivers" enough for this appositive?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Kudos
dimmak wrote:
Ok, I think I now understand the OA. My thoughts on this...

A. vehicles – less than those caused --> WRONG; "those" refers back to "road fatalities", which is a countable noun, although "less" seems to have some kind of parallelism referring to the percentage... is a little bit ambiguous but is better to use "fewer"/b]
B. vehicles - fewer than have been caused --> [b]right

C. vehicles, which is fewer than those --> "which" modifies only vehicles so it is wrong
D. vehicles, a number that is lower than the fatalities --> wrong, a number that is lower is RIGHT, "a number" is singular. What is wrong in this answer is that ...fatalities by... is wrong, we need sthg like "fatalities caused by..."
E. vehicles, fewer than the ones caused --> "the ones" is an unnecesary pronoun and it is wrong, it creates an slight ambiguity

HI a small correction "a number" in option D is plural ."The number" is a singular .here a number is followed by that .so option D can be avoided on this basis.
Hope it helps.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Just over 5% of road fatalities in 2009 have been caused by [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Though the correct answer is B, many have said about the usage of "ones in option E.

Think about what the word "ones" means: you would only use it to refer to specific cases, right?

Silly example: "I eat hundreds of burritos every year, but I particularly enjoy the ones that are stuffed with avocado and carne asada."

"The ones" is NOT a generic pronoun: it refers to a specific subset of burritos. You could translate "the ones" as "the specific burritos" in this case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Send PM
If claimed OA is correct, then I am going to wait for the experts to explain this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [0]
Send PM
sgupta0827 wrote:
rphardu wrote:
It seems that correct structure should be :vehicles - fewer than those/some pronoun have been caused by drunk drivers.

Thanks rphardu for your prompt response! In this question, I am more concerned about the use "have been" than really about missing pronoun. Isn't "have been" implicit even if we miss it in the appositive?

Sorry bro, but for me it does not look like appositive. Appositive are modifier here we have comparision.

Regarding removing of "have been", this concept has been illustrated very well on one of the mgmat post. I will post the link, once at home.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rphardu wrote:
sgupta0827 wrote:
rphardu wrote:

Sorry bro, but for me it does not look like appositive. Appositive are modifier here we have comparision.

Regarding removing of "have been", this concept has been illustrated very well on one of the mgmat post. I will post the link, once at home.

Sorry for so much trouble. The reason I am calling this appositive is that it is connected by a big dash(--). Since it is connected by a big dash, it can not be a main clause. It doesn't look like a subordinate clause either. Comparison by itself is not a segment fragment as far as I understand. It has to be something, so I think it's an appositive. Grammar experts can help us here.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
sgupta0827 wrote:
Sorry for so much trouble. The reason I am calling this appositive is that it is connected by a big dash(--). Since it is connected by a big dash, it can not be a main clause. It doesn't look like a subordinate clause either. Comparison by itself is not a segment fragment as far as I understand. It has to be something, so I think it's an appositive. Grammar experts can help us here.

I am no expert in Grammar. Here's what I think.

Although "--" can be used to list things, here it is not used as an appositive. It is just trying to give us additional information about the fatalities-- in this case comparative analysis.

I think "-fewer than the fatalities that have been caused", in spite of being wordy, would more clearly express what it intended to.

Author:
What's the source?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fluke wrote:
sgupta0827 wrote:

I am no expert in Grammar. Here's what I think.

Although "--" can be used to list things, here it is not used as an appositive. It is just trying to give us additional information about the fatalities-- in this case comparative analysis.

I think "-fewer than the fatalities that have been caused", in spite of being wordy, would more clearly express what it intended to.

Author:
What's the source?

This answers my question of "have been". So far I was thinking that the sentence fragment is used as an appositive. That's why I was doubting the use of "have been". If it is only used to fill the information, sentence should stand alone by itself. Hence, the verb "have been" is required. Simply having "Caused" would be a comma splice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Hi Fluke

I came across this question during one of tests in "e-gmat course". I am still confused why pronoun is not used in the latter portion of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
rphardu wrote:
bharatemail wrote:
Just over 5% of road fatalities in 2009 have been caused by speeding vehicles – less than those caused by drunk drivers.

A. vehicles – less than those caused
B. vehicles - fewer than have been caused
C. vehicles, which is fewer than those
D. vehicles, a number that is lower than the fatalities
E. vehicles, fewer than the ones caused

In the OA, Do you think that word "that" is missing to have a parallel structure. Please comment ?

Hi bharatemail and sgupta0827,
Option A : Wrong because road fatalities is countable noun and we can not use less for that. Fewer is the correct option.
Option C : Which is modifying preceding noun "Vehicle", so vehicles is fewer than those... = Wrong and moreover vehicles are plural.
Option D : In "a number of X " is plural so can not be followed by "is" but here a number...........modifying vehicles so is wrong.
Option E : Usage of ones (there is nothing like ones, we have one and one's) is incorrect.

So only option B is best in all.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed, please don't forget to give Kudos.

Sorry to disagree, but the expression “ones“ exists.

There are many kinds of sweets; I really like the chocolate ones.
Or The ones with chocolate frosting have cream fillings.
Or Are these the ones you want?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
B is the correct answer

Meaning is pretty clear. Let me put forth answer analysis.

- E has fewer just after comma. It modifies the entire clause which is wrong. It should modify only fatalities
- As number of fatalities is countable, fewer than should be used.
- B uses % of fatalities as subject directly without being stated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect? rphardu said that "ones" doesn't exist, while "cledgard" said that it does exist. So I would request experts to intervene and post their answer and explanation on this. B somehow doesn't sound right to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
could someone please explain why is E incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Ok, I think I now understand the OA. My thoughts on this...

A. vehicles – less than those caused --> WRONG; "those" refers back to "road fatalities", which is a countable noun, although "less" seems to have some kind of parallelism referring to the percentage... is a little bit ambiguous but is better to use "fewer"/b]
B. vehicles - fewer than have been caused --> [b]right

C. vehicles, which is fewer than those --> "which" modifies only vehicles so it is wrong
D. vehicles, a number that is lower than the fatalities --> wrong, a number that is lower is RIGHT, "a number" is singular. What is wrong in this answer is that ...fatalities by... is wrong, we need sthg like "fatalities caused by..."
E. vehicles, fewer than the ones caused --> "the ones" is an unnecesary pronoun and it is wrong, it creates an slight ambiguity
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
For me, is there any error in the usage of the comma in Option E?
It seems that 'fewer' describes vehicles..
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts