Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alum
Send PM
Re: just scored 640 (debrief and depression) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey dont beat yourself on this.
Just focus on quant for a couple of weeks and dont lose track of verbal. While you are doing all these, you can maintain a comprehensive error log.
Check for gmatprep PS and DS questions. Solve them and get your concepts clear.
I think you have giant rooms for a better score a month from now
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i just dont have the confidence that doing more quant problems on gmatprep is enough to boost my score. I feel like I have been doing quant problems for five months and addressing my weak areas. maybe i am doing something incorrectly in my preparation. I review my problems by seeing what mistake I made and then later attempting the problem. Any ideas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I had a very similar experience to you on the quantitative side the first time I took the GMAT.

I was in the 700 range on practice tests and pulled a 630 on my first GMAT. Don't remember what the Quantitative score was but it was bad.

The 2nd time I took the test I drastically changed my approach. The first time I spent far to much time on questions that were above me skill level. It sounds like you might have made a similar mistake. This caused me to rush on questions I probably could of solved correctly with more time....and caused a little bit of panic as well.

What I did during my 2nd test once the questions got a bit too hard was to look at the question and quickly assess if I could come up with a correct answer within 2-3 minutes. If I wasn't sure I immediately took an educated guess and moved on. This allowed me to have plenty of time for the questions I could solve and also created more of a sense of calm because of the extra time. Spending 5 mins and getting a wrong answer is drastically worse then spending 30 seconds on a wrong answer.

I think you should try this approach on practice tests and see if it works for you. I actually studied much less for my 2nd test (mostly on # properties) and got a 740/ 47Q.

Keep your head up and stay positive. One test doesn't make or break anyone.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Bullsds for taking the time to respond. Can you help me with the details of your retake approach? I think your response has made the most sense to me so far in terms of hat may have went wrong. However, I have no idea where to start now for test 2.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Happy to help. My 2nd time taking test I spent much more time studying concepts and less on practice problems. This just seemed to work better for me in terms of retaining principles.

This site has a pretty good summary section, particularly on # properties which I think is the most important part to have mastered.

(not letting me post link, will PM)

In my humble opinion I don't think your time would be well spent doing taking a bunch more practice tests. It seems like the knowledge is already there you just need a better test taking strategy/lack of jitters. I don't think its too uncommon for people to be overwhelmed their first time taking the test and have that determinately impact their score.

I would work on having a better feeling for your quantitative strengths and weaknesses and know the types of problems you can solve confidently, and more importantly the ones you cannot. Use your time on your strengths, not your weaknesses.

I think its also important to try to schedule a test for a time when you are relaxed....like a Monday morning when you are well rested. For me personally I didn't cram the days before.....I took it easy and relaxed and took a last practice test the day before in the mid afternoon. That evening I went over the results and spent half hour reviewing mistakes. After that I said a prayer and went to bed.

My last piece of advice would be to try to remove some of the pressure. Obv this is easier said then done....but I think it's important to remind yourself that while the test feels like the most important thing in the world in the large scheme of things its rather trivial. No matter what your health, friends, family and livelihood will still be there tomorrow no matter the result.

Hope this helps & gl.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
My last piece of advice would be to try to remove some of the pressure. Obv this is easier said then done....but I think it's important to remind yourself that while the test feels like the most important thing in the world in the large scheme of things its rather trivial. No matter what your health, friends, family and livelihood will still be there tomorrow no matter the result.

I like this :)
which site are you talking about btw?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts