Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just starting TOEFL prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 01:41
Hi all,

I am just starting my TOEFL prep and trying to get an idea how much time do I need.
I am fluent in English (both speaking and writing).
I just took GMAT and got 80 percentile for Verbal.

So, what is your estimate, how much time I need to prepare for TOEFL?
What books do you recommend?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 02:04
Hello,

Please take some time to read the stickies in this forum, where you will find a lot of information about how to prepare the exam.
You can start for this one: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-toefl-100641.html

rid

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 02:14
Thanks.
I did not notice how much information is there... Sorry.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help about Toefl [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 23:38
Dear friends,
I am writing this message regarding Toefl iBT, and i am sure after reading this message u would like to guide me properly.
I have been taking toefl iBT in 2010 and all the times i have been getting almost same marks.

Reading 18
listening 19
Speaking 24
Writing 26
But i need 23 in reading and 25 in listening. Unfortunately during reading session i cant concentrate for a long time. Five long passages and 14 questions each make it more difficult. As far as the listening is concerned ,the lectures and the dialogues are presented in a simple way but the questions are very tricky. It is funny to say sometimes they ask why professor does this... why he burbs, why he breaths etc.lol
This test has been made more memory and less logicable. Even most of the native speakes cant get advance level in this exam. Plz i request u to help me, to make my reading and listening better. I am so frustrated i want to replace it with IELTS.
Raja.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 00:02
the only thing I'd suggest you is to read and listen English as much as you can. For example, buy The Economist and read it entirely, or rent movies in English. You need to improve your concentration skills, not only for the TOEFL but for the next (GMAT? GRE?).

You are getting high scores in the usually harder sections of the TOEFL, and low scores in the easier ones :shock:

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 00:52
Thank you rid82 for your valuable suggestion. Actually i am a veterinarian from India and residing in USA for last two years. I need toefl iBT for my ECFVG programme. Believe me i have taken the toefl iBT three times and all the times almost same marks. I am trying to improve my listening and reading skills. Would u suggest some reading and listening material ( Books, audio cds). so that i could directly purchase them instead of spending money on some rubbish stuff?
Regards,
Raja.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 22

Re: Help about Toefl [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Raja2 wrote:
Dear friends,
I am writing this message regarding Toefl iBT, and i am sure after reading this message u would like to guide me properly.
I have been taking toefl iBT in 2010 and all the times i have been getting almost same marks.

Reading 18
listening 19
Speaking 24
Writing 26
But i need 23 in reading and 25 in listening. Unfortunately during reading session i cant concentrate for a long time. Five long passages and 14 questions each make it more difficult. As far as the listening is concerned ,the lectures and the dialogues are presented in a simple way but the questions are very tricky. It is funny to say sometimes they ask why professor does this... why he burbs, why he breaths etc.lol
This test has been made more memory and less logicable. Even most of the native speakes cant get advance level in this exam. Plz i request u to help me, to make my reading and listening better. I am so frustrated i want to replace it with IELTS.
Raja.

Hi Raja,

Its really an unique problem that is very difficult to assess without actually knowing you in person. I can give you a tip which helped me in my preparations. Pick up the newspaper everyday and go through the editorial section, specially on topics which do not interest you. That way not only will your reading and comprehension skills increase, but I feel it would help you with your patience too which I feel has played a big part in your previous TOEFL attempt. Since you are a doc, I am sure you have huge amounts of patience already! Just utilize it in the first 2 sections of the test.

All the Best!

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

Re: Help about Toefl   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2011, 03:11