Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just take it? Study? What to do...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Just take it? Study? What to do... [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 19:51
I took Practice Test #1 from GMATPrep last night, as a diagnostic, and felt like I was reading Hebrew for a number of questions on the Quantitative section (I've taken Hebrew, years ago, so it was vaguely familiar, but I had no idea what any of it meant). I graduated from undergrad nine years ago, haven't taken a math class since 1997, so I guess that makes sense. But I didn't feel completely clueless on everything. Verbal was also a stretch, but I felt more confident and on the ones I felt were over my head, I was able to narrow it down to two or three, and then just went with my gut. Long story short, I didn't feel terribly comfortable with it, but my score was a 740, Q47/V45.

I'm not trying to get into a major school. I don't have the means to go full time, and would rather do a part time program at a local university (Eastern Michigan) while continuing to work. Plus while I have a strong undergrad career (albeit in History), I had a horrible year of grad school right after my undergrad and figure that I won't be able to get in anywhere decent with that record anyway. But I digress. Eastern pretty much just requires a 500 on the GMAT to get into the program in which I would like to enroll.

So... if you were in my shoes, would you feel comfortable just taking the GMAT with no further prep, if your diagnostic test was a 740 and you're not looking to get into a tier one school? I was prepared to spend at least two or three months boning up on things, but now I'm worried it may be a waste of time (like it was with my SATs - took the PSAT, got xxxx, took the SAT without prep, got same score, wasn't happy and prepped for another two months... same score a third time).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :) I have no idea what I'm doing here.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just take it? Study? What to do... [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 20:31
with a score that high on a diagnostic exam, you're sure to be in the mid 600s if you take it tomorrow.

however, if there are parts of quant or verbal you felt uncomfortable/uneasy with, i'd certainly reviist some of those to gain a better level of comfort. for example, if the sentence correction made you uneasy (or if you felt like you were guessing some of the q's during it), i'd definitely review a little bit in that area. same goes for math. if you felt that the number properties q's were a little funny, definitely review a little in that area.

but seriously, what a stellar 1st score. people work months (if not years) to score that high. you can literally take it in a couple of days and not have to worry about the score. at your worst, you'd be over 500.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just take it? Study? What to do... [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 01:55
Congrats on your high score. I would take further practice exams to ensure that high score is not an outlier. And with further practice, you can see where your strengths and weaknesses lie.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Just take it? Study? What to do... [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 06:53
congrats on your high score. Its better to take a couple of more tests, to ensure that you are consistent.

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Just take it? Study? What to do... [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 20:25
Thanks for the thoughts. I have a math boot camp scheduled for next month, so I think I'll go ahead and schedule my GMAT in March or April, take another diagnostic test to figure out where my problems are, and then make sure I'm feeling more confident about it.
Re: Just take it? Study? What to do...   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 20:25