Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just throwing this out there, but...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

Re: Just throwing this out there, but... [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
I was at a Kellogg event last night. The speaker said that Kellogg is going to continue lending money directly to students until the issue is resolved. There are two options - american co-signer or non-american co-signer. She said they are both very competitive loan programs.

They are also looking for an external lender, but until they find one, there will be loans from the university to all students who need them.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Just throwing this out there, but... [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 20:40
Saw this at http://web.mit.edu/sfs/loans/sloan_loans.html

Quote:
Important news for Sloan International Students 2009-10

The Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is pleased to announce that arrangements are in place for a loan program for international students who enroll in MIT Sloan’s professional masters programs. This new international loan program will complement Federal loan programs available to domestic students. As in previous years, loans will be available to students, up to the cost of attendance in MIT Sloan’s professional masters programs.

We are extremely grateful to our MIT colleagues who have partnered with us to address this important need within our community. MIT Sloan is committed to both the economic and geographic diversity of our student population, as well as to providing funding opportunities for all students who exhibit need. Loan program details will be forthcoming.

I can't understand whether this means a cosigner is involved.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Just throwing this out there, but... [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 21:03
Honestly, I think the days of internationals getting loans without co-signers are long gone. The real question is whether you can get a loan with another international or need to get a US co-signer.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Just throwing this out there, but... [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 08:31
solaris1 wrote:
I saw somewhere that Stern just put out an RFP looking for a new lender, so it's clear they're not looking to dip into their endowment to cover a program such as this. Even if schools find a new lender, you can bet the interest rates are going to be exorbitant - like prime plus 300 bps or something like that (as opposed to prime minus 150 for current students).

You have been staring at the sun too long - I am pretty certain I pay over Prime for an International loan (no cosign). It is just the nature of the beast - I think they take 25bp off the charge when I make 24 on time payments. Generous souls that they are. My aim, as I will be working for a bank, is a rapid refinancing...

Anyway - the Stern lender issue. Stern was always going to be looking for a new lender this year, so we will see how that works out. I wouldn't take it as a sign that there is no alternative plan (my guess would be that there is, though I do not know), but the outside option would be preferential.

I think the Harvard "we have scholarships" shout is the one of the biggest red herrings ever.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Just throwing this out there, but... [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:09
3underscore wrote:
You have been staring at the sun too long

Ahem. "As low as" prime minus 150 was the rate advertised for Stern MBA students until earlier this summer. Possibly for domestic students only? The private loans are based on credit history anyway, you obviously pay a bit more if you get one without a co-signer and established US credit history.

However, you are right in that those days seem long gone. Prime plus 100 seems to be the best rate I've found post-summer. Who knows what fall 2009 has in store.
Re: Just throwing this out there, but...   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2008, 09:09