Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took GMAT...Need some advice please!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just took GMAT...Need some advice please!! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 13:31
:cry:
Hello all,
I just finished taking the month long GMAT Prep course by Kaplan last Monday. On Thursday, I went to review my last Practice CAT(#5) on my on-line syllabus and realized that all my previous scores were changed. They had all been lowered by different amounts. I immediately called Kaplan for an explanation. They told me that the programmers found a "Flaw" in the system and need to update all the scores. Meanwhile, I am taking the test in 2 DAYS!! I feel cheated and manipulated by Kaplan's actions. How can I trust any of the practice scores or anything given to me by Kaplan? They tell me I am at one level, then ruin my confidence 2 days before the test!!! It is now too late to cancel test!! The director at my location(Paramus NJ) told me there was nothing they could do and they would not provide me with a refund($1300). :x :x I was exteremly upset by the situation as I am not fully prepared now to take the REAL GMAT the next day. So I took the test yesterday and scored lower than my orginal baseline score to guarntee my full refund. :oops: This was the only option I had due to time restraints. But now I am worried that when I do take the GMAT again and actually submitt the scores to schools, they will see that I scored a 200 the first time :roll: . Do you think it will appear to them that obvisouly somethig was wrong, or that I really scored a 200??? Kaplan has really made my chances to advancing in my career difficult.
Any advice/feedback would be great!! 8-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 13:54
i would advise you to give gmat again and this time score a 200 . Therafter sue kaplan for a lifetime of lost earning not being able to make it to HBS which you would in other circumstances.
The focus should be on kaplan rather than gmat or mba. One thing at a time.

http://franky4mba.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 14:33
Sue Kaplan?? :roll:

My main concern is the fact that other schools will eventually see that score...correct??
Will it trully hurt me in the long run???
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 15:02
Wow... it is quite a story!!!!

Now, I think you have two options here (besides suing Kaplan).

1. I think it will look suspicious to Adm. com. that you have gotten 200 on the GMAT. You can try to explain the situation in one of the essays; however, since it seems like a VERY BAD decision making on your part, it could even worsen your chances to get into a B-school. One's ability to make a reasonable decision is important to B-schools.

2. you can take the gmat 3 more times, so the adm. com. won't be able to see this score. (they can see only the last three scores).

In any case, good luck!!!! :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 15:11
All I can say is - Do not let your anger over Kaplan cause you to mess up your career. Even if Kaplan pays you back, it will be a pyrrhic victory because an abysmally low score in the GMAT will cause adcoms to wonder about your judgement - "If this guy accepted the score after he did this badly, is he of sound mind?" etc.

I sympathize with you. But there are other ways to get back at Kaplan without messing up your life in the process.

So please try to put this aside and do your best in the test.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 677 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2005, 15:19
Dont worry about kaplan now. Whats past is past. you have to focus on what
lies ahead. You worked hard on your practice tests.

I will make this post a sticky. Just email them saying that you have posted a thread on GMAT Club and the thread will stay here and warn users on how kaplan treated you.

Reputation is everything in business; Kaplan should know that better than anyone else.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2005, 05:57
I realize my mistake....but I could not afford to take test again and still have to pay Kaplan....This way I am only paying $500(GMAT twice), or pay GMAT twice and Kaplan($1800)......I know $$$ shouldn't be a determining factor, but for me it was as I have alot going on....
I wrote in the essay about my dispute w/kaplan....I explained the whole situation....

Thank you for the responses....I need all the feedbackI can get....
I am very discouraged right now :oops: ...especially when on Friday I got denied by Fordham for their PRE-MBA program..... :cry:

Thanks again for the support!!
Current Student
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 01:51
franky4mba wrote:
i would advise you to give gmat again and this time score a 200 . Therafter sue kaplan for a lifetime of lost earning not being able to make it to HBS which you would in other circumstances.

Sorry!! I can't help! Awesome reply dude!!!:D :D :D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 06:00
kingme wrote:
franky4mba wrote:

Sorry!! I can't help! Awesome reply dude!!!:D :D :D

You might want to share your story on the Kaplan board on this forum and see if they can help you tackling this issue. It might be the case of a full refund on your investment.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 706 [0], given: 6

Re: Just took GMAT...Need some advice please!! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 22:46
Expert's post
You do have the option of canceling your score before the score is displayed on the screen when you finish the exam. However, once your score is displayed you cannot un-cancel your score.
It might just show a blank/cancel to the college and you would just retake the exam another day - with the exam cost as a sunk cost.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Just took GMAT...Need some advice please!! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 08:24
This situation all around suks. I hate to be the one saying this but whatever money it costs to make this go away will not really make a difference. Maybe now 2k is a lot of money now but once you get your MBA and start making the big bucks it wont matter all that much.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Re: Just took GMAT...Need some advice please!!   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2012, 08:24