Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Greetings,

Just joined up and very pleased to see such a wonderful resource available to test-takers.

So last week I downloaded the official GMAT prep software and took the first practice test.
My score: 560 (Q25 ,V43) When I looked over the percentages I thought something had to be wrong. The discrepancy between the two sections was very large (15% - 96%). So i preceded to take the second practice test. Sure enough the scores fell in nearly the exact same range.

I should of known. Sometime while taking the Q section I realized I was getting stumped pretty often and had to resort to guessing frequently.

So here I stand. From browsing the forums I've gotten the impression that my case is a little odd. Most people seem initially to do poorly on the verbal as opposed to quant. I've begun to review adamantly to re-familiarize myself with math. I've found that I've forgotten basics concepts such as: the properties of exponents, formulas, etc I chalk this up a very lackadaisical mindset towards math upon entering college. On the plus side I know what I need to study for.

I was hoping I would be able to get some advice on re-educating myself in math and beginning to tackle the quant section. Perhaps some good strategies/guides/study plans and maybe advice from someone who has been in this situation before??

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 13:17
Welcome to my world! Have you looked into the Manhattan Gmat books? They really are the best at teaching Quant. If you feel you need extra-super-duper help... taking a prep course wouldn't hurt either.

Mindy
http://mbalady.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 13:30
Off late hearing real good reviews on "http://www.totalgmatmath.com/" so check it out .. its much cheaper than MGMAT books and lots of practises also
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 14:23
Expert's post
danny87345 wrote:
Greetings,

Just joined up and very pleased to see such a wonderful resource available to test-takers.

So last week I downloaded the official GMAT prep software and took the first practice test.
My score: 560 (Q25 ,V43) When I looked over the percentages I thought something had to be wrong. The discrepancy between the two sections was very large (15% - 96%). So i preceded to take the second practice test. Sure enough the scores fell in nearly the exact same range.

I should of known. Sometime while taking the Q section I realized I was getting stumped pretty often and had to resort to guessing frequently.

So here I stand. From browsing the forums I've gotten the impression that my case is a little odd. Most people seem initially to do poorly on the verbal as opposed to quant. I've begun to review adamantly to re-familiarize myself with math. I've found that I've forgotten basics concepts such as: the properties of exponents, formulas, etc I chalk this up a very lackadaisical mindset towards math upon entering college. On the plus side I know what I need to study for.

I was hoping I would be able to get some advice on re-educating myself in math and beginning to tackle the quant section. Perhaps some good strategies/guides/study plans and maybe advice from someone who has been in this situation before??

Thanks!

Welcome to GMATClub!
You are indeed a non-typical applicant.

For your needs with Q25, you probably want to start with something simpler such as Kaplan Math Foundations or Kaplan Math Workbook.
Manhattan GMAT Number Properties is recommended by many as well

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 17:03
Consider yourself in a fortunate position. V43 is a great starting point. I recommend Total GMAT Math, because it covers all of the subjects tested on the GMAT Quant section. The MGMAT Number Properties guide is pretty specific, so it holds some extra value as well.

Welcome to GMAT Club and good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 12:40
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been looking in to some of the books mentioned. Looks like I can grab a set of Manhattan GMAT books, 2007 edition and the OG's, which I see are pretty much essentials, for around $65. Are there any differences between the 2007 edition Manhattan GMAT books as opposed to later editions? Does this sound like a decent deal/worth the cash?

I've also looked into Total GMAT math which from the description seems like quite a resource. Compared to the above would it be required as well, preferable, or something to look into to supplement?

Quote:
For your needs with Q25, you probably want to start with something simpler such as Kaplan Math Foundations or Kaplan Math Workbook.

I'll definitely look into these as well. I am currently working off one or two random books I grabbed from the library. I hope I'll be able to get my math level to be sufficient enough to start studying at an intermediate level soon.

Thanks again!
Re: Just took GMAT prep test, Need advice: Odd case   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2009, 12:40