Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just Took My First Diagnostic Test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just Took My First Diagnostic Test [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 20:42
So, as the title says, I just took my first GMAT diagnostic test using the Princeton Review software. I just had a couple questions regarding how accurate it is, where to go from here, what to expect, etc.

I just graduated in December and start working full-time in April. I don't plan on applying to schools for probably 3-4 years and have no real time-frame on when to take the test, but I was curious and the score lasts five years anyway so now's a good time as any. I took the Princeton Review test with absolutely no prep, no knowledge of strategies or anything and scored a 650. I got a 47Q and 34V (I think). I'm a native English speaker and consider myself a decent writer and everything, so I imagine that my verbal could be improved with some practice. In other words, I think it's uncharacteristically low for me, but what do I know?

Anyway, if I study a 3-5 hours a week for 6 months-1 year or so, by how much can I reasonably expect to improve? I've seen 50-150 tossed around.

Is my study plan of 3-5 hours a week for an extended period of time an ok strategy? I work full-time (60ish hrs/week). Or should I hold off a little bit and just do like 2-3 months of more serious study?

Ultimately, my goal is to score 730+, but I would be fine with 700. Is this realistic?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm sure I'll be exploring this site for a while. It's a great resource.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 990 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Just Took My First Diagnostic Test [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 21:19
Expert's post
mouch wrote:
So, as the title says, I just took my first GMAT diagnostic test using the Princeton Review software. I just had a couple questions regarding how accurate it is, where to go from here, what to expect, etc.

I just graduated in December and start working full-time in April. I don't plan on applying to schools for probably 3-4 years and have no real time-frame on when to take the test, but I was curious and the score lasts five years anyway so now's a good time as any. I took the Princeton Review test with absolutely no prep, no knowledge of strategies or anything and scored a 650. I got a 47Q and 34V (I think). I'm a native English speaker and consider myself a decent writer and everything, so I imagine that my verbal could be improved with some practice. In other words, I think it's uncharacteristically low for me, but what do I know?

Anyway, if I study a 3-5 hours a week for 6 months-1 year or so, by how much can I reasonably expect to improve? I've seen 50-150 tossed around.

Is my study plan of 3-5 hours a week for an extended period of time an ok strategy? I work full-time (60ish hrs/week). Or should I hold off a little bit and just do like 2-3 months of more serious study?

Ultimately, my goal is to score 730+, but I would be fine with 700. Is this realistic?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm sure I'll be exploring this site for a while. It's a great resource.

Hi mouch,

If you have got 650 without any preparation, then you should feel good about it. It is good score to start with; your initial levels of quant and verbal scores are good. If you ask me about the accuracy of Princeton test then to be on a conservative side you can consider it around 600 - 620, Still a good initial score. Form your score I can say that your basics in quant and verbal are more or less clear. Go through one round of study material and practice a lot of questions.

If you have a lot of time, probably a year or then your strategy would be fine till the last 2 - 3 months. In the last 2 - 3 months before the actual GMAT you must practice consistently in order to keep the momentum up. You can reduce this period to 1 month based on your comfort level, but consistent practice before the test, you must.

All the best,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: Just Took My First Diagnostic Test [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:47
Expert's post
A 650 without any prep is great start.

I'd try to reduce the amount of time you study to < 2 months. You don't want to spend too much of your time on this 1 exam. A few hrs a week dragged out over a year can be painful - and you may also end up doing very inefficient studying.

So try to spend larger chunks of time - particularly on weekends - so you can minimize your study time. Better to get it done and over with than to drag it out - especially when you seem to be off to a good start.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Just Took My First Diagnostic Test   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 12:47