Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took my GMAT and got a pretty depressing 610!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Just took my GMAT and got a pretty depressing 610!!!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 15:27
Hi All,
Seems like I have had to retype this message almost 3 times now. I just took my GMAT today and made a terrible 610 (Q47, V27). I am still trying to figure out why I did so badly on the verbal section. I wasn't particularly more stressed than I usually am, although that doesn't say much.

I took the 2month long Kaplan course. I did kindof poorly on most of my Kaplan CAT exams scoring between 570-610. I usually do poorly in the Quant section, but do reasonably well in the Verbal section. So I spent quite a bit of time studying for the Quant section.

When I took my GMAT prep on Tuesday last week, I got a 620 (34Q, 47V), which is reflective of my other Kaplan performances, which is a weak Quant score and a reasonably good Verbal score. But strangely my last GMAT prep that I took on thursday had a score of 600 (47Q, 27V). And today that is how I scored in my real GMAT. I did poorly in the Verbal section, which is usually my strength.

I am still trying to figure out what I did wrong in the Verbal section to get such a poor score. I am also wondering if I should retake the GMAT again. Ofcourse, if I want to get into UC Berkeley's part-time MBA program, which is what I was hoping for, then most certainly I will have to retake my GMAT. But at what cost? I have 2 kids and I have spent every minute of the last 2 weeks studying, instead of spending any quality time with them. I feel like I am stealing family time to get a better GMAT score.

Since I work full-time, I was unable to study more than 10-15 hours per week. I even took the last 2 weeks off to study for my GMAT. Not sure if retaking the GMAT is worth all the hassle.

Maybe I should just take my low 610 score and see if I can get into Santa Clara University (which is still ranked #12) for the part-time MBA? Or should I retake the GMAT, try to get a better score and aim for UC Berkeley?

I am sure a lot of folks on this club have retaken the GMAT. What are your thoughts? What were your concerns? Any ideas, tips, suggestions for improvement if and when I retake my GMAT?

I didn't really use any material other than Kaplan and some practice paper test from the http://www.mba.com website. Should I buy the OG and prepare for the GMAT and retry again in another month?

Thanks,
targetfocus.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 22:51
I would vote for retake for two reasons.

1. The score doesn't seem to reflect your prep scores. (Some mad thing must've happened. :shock: )

2. Why settles for less now? You've come to this far. For your dream school, you might as well give one more shot.

I took it last August and got 610(44q,29v). I am retaking it because I don't like 'what ifs...'. I would like to suggest that you analyze your weakness and plan accordingly. People here, many of whom are experts in GMAT, can help you find your weakness.

Wish best luck for you and your family! :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 23:35
Retake.

Weird that your V went from 27-47(!!!!)-27

seems strange.

but, you can do better, for sure.

Find your weaknesses, and study those.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 06:54
Hi target,

I read your post from last week and wondered what your score would be after so much stress! I don't think you got such a bad score and your verbal score seems not to reflect your verbal abilities! So something must have gone wrong. Few on this forum, me included, were really surprised to get such low verbal scores on the real test. I don't know the reason, may be too much overconfidence?

I would advise nyou to retake it and use that month(or more if you can afford it) to work on the OG11 and other official materials(powerprep, gmat prep, paper tests, reviews). I believe you are very close from your target!
  [#permalink] 19 Nov 2006, 06:54