Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took my GMAT. Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.3
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Just took my GMAT. Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 22:01
Hi,
I just took GMAT 660 (Q50, V31).
My background : 3 years Software development work experience in Cisco R&D India.
Undergrad: National Institute of Technology Surathkal (Top 10 Tech schools in India)
CG: 7.6/10 (don't know how to convert into 4.0, think conversion is around 3.2-3.4 not sure)

Started my own venture in college and ran it for a year. A Small Internet collaborative magazine
Interned at a Internet startup in managerial and marketing roles for 2 years(worked part time) during college (does it count?)

Extra curricular:
In charge of CSR activities in our company.Speaking to NGOs and making all employees to participate in the activities.
I maintain a Stock picks on fundamental analysis in a website.

What top schools I can apply with this score. Is it possible to get universities like UVa, cornell, kellog or atleast NUS or 2 tier like Kelly or Mays ?
I don't think I will be able to take GMAT again.I will be busy with work next two months

Please evaluate my profile and make suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just took my GMAT. Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:25
Expert's post
You have what I would classify as "minimal requirements" for your target schools, but standing out may be a challenge. You're coming in on the minimum in both work experience and GMAT and will be below the average in both categories compared to your applicant pool. You need to be thinking about how to position yourself to be memorable to the adcoms. The best way to do this is to tell your personal story. the more personal the story the less likely it will sound like the next guy. Certainly your UG institution as a top 10 will help you stand out but this is not as powerful as it is for US applicants. In other words, the adcoms will give you a nod for having gone to a good school, but this will only get you so far. Did you have success with the startups? Quantifying this success will help substantiate your candidacy since many folks have started companies, but few have actually succeeded. I think your strategy to pick a few reach schools and a few more which are out of the limelight will help boost your results. Of course re-taking the GMAT to achieve a higher verbal score would help. Schools will not like to hear that you did not have time to take it more than once. This might communicate to them that you are not managing your time well--a death knell for b-school.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.3
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Just took my GMAT. Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:53
Hi Bryant, Thanks for your advice. The problem I thought in retaking GMAT, is I took gmat 2 years ago in college for a MSc program, but got only 640.So after that took it again last week. Got 660 (Not much change, but quant increased and verbal decreased from that time) . I am sure I can hit 720 in next time if I study verbal well. But it will be my third time, Is that fine? I thought taking it more than twice gives a bad impression.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just took my GMAT. Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 06:01
Expert's post
No actually three times is an acceptable number especially if one of those was several years ago. Taking it again after a big gap is akin to only taking it once. You can definitely sit again without negative consequence--quite the opposite if you pull off a 720.--well worth it to take again.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews