Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 18:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Just took the GMAT after hearing about the recent changes and figuring that it might be wise to take the test before I need it. My preparation was pretty limited. Learned about Data Sufficiency and read the basics of the test format. I'm usually a good test taker, so was hoping for the best.

Result:
Quant: 32 (31st percentile)
Verbal: 45 (99th percentile)
Total: 640 (74th percentile)

I was cruising on math, but wasn't watching my time. Ended up guessing on basically the last 10 questions. Not sure how badly this affected my score, but maybe would have got a 40 with better time management. Not very surprised to have done well on Verbal as it's my native language and I read every day. So, I'm feeling pretty bad as I was hoping for at least 700.

Can anyone help me devise a study plan? I'm willing to spend a couple months. I just purchased MGMAT guides (the ones w/o the new section) as well as the 3 "official" guides (also no new section). My guess though is that most of the study plans out there won't be very tailored for me as I seem to be okay on verbal but terrible on math (at least when it comes to quality given the time constraints). My goal is 99th percentile. Just want to be able to add 99th percentile GMAT to my resume. I think that's a 760.

Thank you very much!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.39
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 18:49
Try my debrief, I had no problems with verbal and concentrated 95% on quant studying. Would really recommend the GMAT Club tests and repetition, repetition, repetition.

770-q49-v47-6-0-awa-on-my-first-try-debrief-132303.html

See my debrief below:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q49-v47-6-0-awa-on-my-first-try-debrief-132303.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 19:19
Thanks man. You're exactly the type of person I'm asking. Particularly like your advice to put a lot of emphasis on just doing practice problems from GMAT Club Tests and other sources (as well as looking at why you missed them). Seeing as how I already have MGMAT on the way, I'll probably do something similar to what you did while replacing Knewton with MGMAT. Again, though, I'm not sure how to effectively "focus" on Quant.

Also worried about how to study for Integrated Reasoning. Does that section influence your score?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 20:09
I would'nt recommend doing the GMAT Club tests right away . The problems there are a little bit more difficult . You should attempt the GMAT Club once you are scoring about 45+ in quant . I'd suggest that you start off with the basics , like the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math book. Once you are done with that you can move onto the MGMAT set of 8 strategy guides. Once you are start to score higher , then you can start doing the GMAT Club tests .
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.39
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 17:34
Great advice from Georgepaul and david&co. If you are having problems with the basics, definitely utilize a knewton or a mgmat like you're planning to establish those and then move on to the GMAT Club tests.

Error log is an excellent idea. Depending on your background in quant, it may be very clear which areas you should concentrate. Then you can plan accordingly.

The great thing is, you consistently do well in verbal. As I am sure you've seen, the impact of a higher verbal score is weighted heavier on the overall score than the impact of a higher quant score due to the tendencies of gmat test takers. Thus, you do have an excellent starting point to maximize your final GMAT to your potential.

I just would like to emphasize the importance of repetition. I was having problems with some areas and the basics, such as probability and rate/time questions. I ended up just launching into tests and gmat club quizzes. Seeing those problem types over and over helped click in my mind. So although I would start with the basics, if that is not effective for you try launching in fully and just doing tons of problems; it may help you like it helped me.

See my debrief below:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q49-v47-6-0-awa-on-my-first-try-debrief-132303.html

Re: Just took test...99th %ile Verbal...31st %ile Quant   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 17:34