Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 17

Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 15:58
Real test is on the 31st.

I got "Above Average" in every category except for Problem Solving, which I got "Average"

There were probably less than 5 questions in total in which I honestly had no idea how to do. In all other cases I went back, and did it again and got it correct.

Which is kind of disappointing. ugh.....

Dammit.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 1

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 01:37
anon1,

The diagnostic test is poorly designed. The large majority of questions are fairly difficult. Did you do these tests for diagnostic purpose(I am presuming that) or just for additional practice because you said your test in on the 31st?

Based on my experience with students, that is a good performance so I won't fret too much about it. Just keep any eye on your results on the Official GMATPrep Practice Tests, don't try to save them for a time closer to the exam.

I think GMAC test writers were lazy when it comes to writing this diagnostic test. I never give this diagnostic test to my students. An ideal diagnostic test would have questions with increasing difficulty, starting with the easiest so I can see where a student is starting to struggle. The Official Guide diagnostic test is way too hard for someone beginning there preparation. And all it does is to demoralize students.

Cheers,
Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Manager
Manager

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 20:39
scoring around 60% on the 700 level questions. ugh

600-700 level around 70-80% and the rest about 90%

aaaaagh.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 21:28
Expert's post
The diag is pretty tough in the OG and it is also hard to correlate to the real test.
Take a GMAT Prep or another CAT since you are just a few days away and only then worry about it.

Good luck on the 31st!

Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 21:53
bb wrote:
The diag is pretty tough in the OG and it is also hard to correlate to the real test.
Take a GMAT Prep or another CAT since you are just a few days away and only then worry about it.

Good luck on the 31st!

Best Regards,
BB.

for that second post I actually meant in the rest of the book (each individual section)

but yeah, there's nothing I can do now. I've done everything I've possibly can these past 3 months, not gonna sweat it.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 11:02
I highly recommend you take a complete break before the day of the exam. Hit the gym do light weights, eat a high protein diet. And stay off books.
And remember children, every question that comes your way at the day of the exam, you will make it your female pet dog. ( bad sentence correction here? )

Thought for the Day
Go with an open mind; not a mind that is full.

all you need is a will.

Manager
Manager

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 21:11
you're saying to not even to do anything gmat related the day before?
what the heck do you do then

im taking it monday 11:15am
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 21

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
you're saying to not even to do anything gmat related the day before?
what the heck do you do then

im taking it monday 11:15am

This is related to any and every exam or performance. Nothing. You do something that helps you release feel good hormones or endorphins.
This is scientifically proven.

You know the great Ronaldo?(I am not talking about Cristianos here), they say he had sex before the match.
You look at the best athletes in the world, they take a break or play a different sport altogether before the a big game. Why else do you think the Indian cricket team would play football?
Yes, to just be happy and mentally prepared.

You could either learn from that or do what most people do - learn through experience(s). (others' or your own).

I scored a 640/620/680/710 on Kaplan mocks(I know nowhere closer - but I wanted to take a GMAT prep too) and I did take one a day before the exam - under pressure scored a 580. I don't know what happened to my spirits and I got a 530 on the actual exam. The only negative I have is that I don't proof read - I still got a 5.5 on the AWAs but that's not the point. I scored an all time low on the verbal. Was my mind wandering off? Was I too tired? WAS I THINKING ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT I WAS YESTERDAY? Probably yes. I should've just relaxed and since I assume you know everything by now, a day shouldn't matter to you.

A day shouldn't matter to you; if you studied or you didn't.

So son, sit back. You have done all what you could. Don't drink or break a leg. Make love or listen to music or just play your favourite outdoor sport. And remember at the day of the exam you are invincible. You will get what you want cos you need it.
Ho Ho Ho.
~Black Santa :-D

all you need is a will.

Manager
Manager

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 07:51
That's a pretty good post CaliNY, I like it.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 21

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
That's a pretty good post CaliNY, I like it.

Thanks. I wrote something long back. I read it every morning. It gives me a push. I will share it with you.

Fight yourself. Everyday. Over power yourself everyday. Beat yourself everyday. Out perform yourself everyday. Count every breath you take. And breathe one more the next day. Push yourself to a limit that is unknown. Jump everyday. Jump, to jump higher everyday. And one day gravity will no longer have its hold on you. When you jump, you will fly.

and yeah, all the best man!

all you need is a will.

Re: Just took the diagnostic test in the Official Guide (OG) 13   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 09:41