Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took the GMAT; 600 36Q, 35V. Retake strategy needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just took the GMAT; 600 36Q, 35V. Retake strategy needed [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 06:04
Hey guys, I've read quite a few awesome stories on this forum, and am hoping in the next few months I can post my own.

I spent the past two months studying roughly 1 hour a night and a few hours on the weekends taking the Kaplan on demand course (I got a great deal on it only $230!) although I admit I did not put my best into it.

Test Score Quant Verbal
Diagnostic 520 31 53
Cat 1 580 42 66
Cat 2 580 34 81
Cat 3 600 46 74
Cat 4 580 42 64
Cat 5 570 34 78
Cat 6 570 40 64
Actual 600 36 35

Background:
24 years old native english speaking male
3.5 GPA from decent quality public university (Clemson University)
I did have my own business through college recycling automobiles with roughly 60k in gross revenue yearly- This was done under the table which I regret since I do not know how to leverage this on a resume.
1.5 years of work experience as a product manager at a fortune 500 electronics company. No real extracurricular work outside of work aside from membership in a local "young professionals" group which does community service.

Goals
Ultimately I want to get into a top 25 school. Cornell, Duke, UNC, Kellogg, and Darden are all schools that I would have an interest in. I would also be interested in something international. I am torn between marketing, finance, or general management.

Regardless, I believe I need at least a 700 to be competitive within one of those programs.

Plan / Questions

I plan on purchasing the complete 5th edition of MGMAT study materials. With this, I plan on taking the next 2 months to spend 2 hours a night on weeknights, and maybe 6 hours each weekend.

Will this be enough time?
Any other recommended materials?
I feel like I have an average background aside from my entrepreneurial college experience- With this, I feel like I am going to need at least a 700. Agree? Disagree?

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Just took the GMAT; 600 36Q, 35V. Retake strategy needed [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 06:23
You're a little on the light side right now for an MBA work-experience wise, but a 700 definitely puts you in a competitive spot for the cream of the crop ACC business schools (Duke, UVA, UNC) and Cornell. Because you have a great GPA, that should alleviate concerns about needing "an alternative transcript", but what is your major in?

With quant, you need to improve there. On the GMAT, everyone in the world can understand how to do a math problem because numbers speak one language and the English used in quant problems isn't that hard. You must get not only the material down but get conceptual tricks that make you more efficient, and help you eliminate the wrong answers. Standardized tests often times is about eliminating wrong answers more than finding the right ones.

The median quant score is around a 39-40, so in order to look competitive for Duke/UVA/UNC/Cornell, you have to have a quant score above 40, and many students here probably have scores higher than 45. As for verbal, you're in better shape, but high 30's and anything above 40 will help increase your chances at a 700 or better.

With your recycling business, you could get an LOR from a client you did a lot of business for which should verify that you did this.

Hope this helps.
Re: Just took the GMAT; 600 36Q, 35V. Retake strategy needed   [#permalink] 08 May 2012, 06:23