Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just took the GMAT -720. Beware Manhattan Prep practice test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Just took the GMAT -720. Beware Manhattan Prep practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Just took the GMAT for the first time. Final score was 720 Q 47, V 41

I studied for about a month and a half before taking the test. I didn't study as much as I would have hoped but felt like it was better to just take the test and see how it went and then asses if I needed to retake.

I started out with the general Kaplan GMAT book and I took the in book test. The score I got was estimate to correlate to between a 680-700 on a real GMAT. My verbal section on this test was actually a perfect score, my quant not so much. Based on this I decided not to study for the verbal section and focus all my efforts on the Quant section. I knew have only a month or so to study was going to be tight so I figured it was better to focus on my weaknesses.

I realized my biggest problem was just being very very rusty on my math concepts and being very slow on things like multiplication, fractions, division, etc.

I spent about 2 weeks working through that book. I tried to make one flash card for each topic. So I had a card on Primes, a card for Circles, a card for Integers, etc. I kept them with me at all times and updated them and made notes as I learned new things. When working through the practice sets, I pretended these facts were already "in my brain" so I was allowed to pull them out and use the facts on them to solve problems. Ones that I didn't look at a lot get slowly put aside and the ones I was looking at a lot I made sure to carry with me so I could study during my commute etc. Eventually I didn't need to use the cards because I had learned almost everything on them.

Once I had worked through the Kaplan book I had a pretty good idea of what my weaknesses were and I bought the following books:

Kaplan Math Workbook
Manhattan GMAT Word Problems
Manhattan GMAT Number Properties
Official GMAT guide

I worked through the first three books using the same method as above. Once I felt good about my knowledge base, I started working through the offical GMAT guide. Sadly, I ran out of time and only made i through the first 100 problems or so.

I took two practice tests (both from GMAT prep)

1. Took before starting studying: 630 (34 Q, 41 V)
2. Took the week before I took the GMAT: 650 (40Q, 38V)

Clearly, I did much better on the actual GMAT than on the practice tests. I think the Manhattan prep tests are much harder (probably to tell their prep materials).

Anyway, I think had I not practiced with these harder tests I would have done much better for a few reasons:

1. I spent WAYYY to much time working on problems that were much harder than anything I saw on the GMAT
2. Getting a practice score of 650 the week before the GMAT really hurt my confidence and I spent at least a day just feeling sad and not getting much studying done
3. My timing on the actual GMAT was way off. In all my practice tests I always ran out of time, so I learned to just guess on problems if I wasn't close after about 1.5 minutes. This kind of backfired on the actual test and I ended up with about 10 minutes left over which would have been nice to use for some of the questions I skipped.

The actual GMAT went fine. I was hoping for a higher score, but at the same time was thinking I could end up with 650 based on my practice tests. So I was pretty happy with the 720.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Just took the GMAT -720. Beware Manhattan Prep practice test [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 09:50
Thank you for this. I just took my first full practice test on MGMAT and was a little disappointed with a 640 (44/34). Now I'm realized that score might be closer to 660+. Also, I too spent waay to much time on tough math questions on the CAT. I had to speed read+guess the last 5 or so questions. 5 weeks till G-Day.
Re: Just took the GMAT -720. Beware Manhattan Prep practice test   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2013, 09:50