Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just wrote the GMAT today! 750 (Q49 V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just wrote the GMAT today! 750 (Q49 V42) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 18:28
Hi all,

I scored a 750 today on the GMAT! What a relief! Here is my preparation strategy ... I have to admit, the order of material that I used is not what many others have used. But it worked for me ...

PREPARATION STRATEGY

1. Princeton Review (Cracking the GMAT, Verbal Workout for the GMAT, Math Workout for the GMAT)

I found the Princeton Review to be a good introduction to the strategies of the GMAT. The questions are not that challenging, but the strategies are good, especially the templates for AWA.

2. Kaplan GMAT 800

The questions in this book are very challenging. I went through the whole book, and went back to revisit my mistakes closer to the GMAT test.

3. Official Guide

I went through the entire book and tried all the questions! This was very good practice.

4. Kaplan GMAT

I only briefly flipped through this and tried some questions.

5. GMATclub Challenges

The questions on the challenges are really challenging! They were very good preparation material.

6. ETS Tests

I completed the 9 ETS tests available on MBA.com.

7. CAT tests

During the couple weeks before my test date, I did full-length CAT tests from the Princeton Review, Kaplan and Powerprep. These were very useful because I got used to the timing.

TEST DAY

1. The night before the test

I worked out at the gym, had a nice dinner, talked with my boyfriend on the phone for two hours and had a full 8 hours of sleep.

2. Day of the test

My test was in the afternoon at 1 pm. I woke up early and did one AWA (Analysis of an Argument) to get my mind working. Then I went for a nice brunch, and arrived at the test centre at 11:30 am. This gave me time to check out the test centre, review some notes and just sit around.

3. Test centre

The test centre I went to did not follow their own instructions. We were specifically instructed not to enter the test centre until administration came out to the food court to get us. I waited around until 12:45 pm and still no one came out. I went inside without being called.

4. Before the test

I had to fill out a form and copy out a sentence saying that I wasn't supposed to share specifics of the test with anyone else. The copying part actually helped calm me down a bit.

5. During the test

I was only allowed to bring my earplugs, ID and locker key. The room was very small with many people typing, getting up, opening and closing the door etc. My earplugs were very useful because I almost heard nothing. (I was wearing my mom's industrial-strength earplugs)

I found the 5 minute breaks between sections to be too short. I only had enough time to sign out, get a drink of water and do some stretches.

6. The Test

AWA
The AWA sections were quite easy because I had a pre-made template that I learnt from the Princeton Review. The analysis of an issue was simple for me because it was about science and technology, and I have an engineering background.

MATH
The math section was alot simpler than Kaplan, Princeton or GMAT Club challenge questions. I found them even easier than the Official Guide. There were one or two questions that were exact questions found in the Official Guide. The last two questions were quite difficult, and I had to guess because I was running out of time.

VERBAL
The verbal section was harder than I anticipated. I found myself rushing and guessing at some questions. I just had enough time to complete the verbal section. The reading comprehension section was much simpler than many of the passages in the Official Guide. I was anticipating a lot of comparison questions in SC, but I was given a lot of convoluted SC questions, with many that were all underlined. CR questions were more difficult than the Official Guide. I found that I had to re-read the questions several times - I never had to do that during my practice CAT tests.

7. The End

At the end of the test, I had to answer a survey, which I found to be quite frustrating because I only wanted to see my score, but there were question after question .....

When my final score showed up, I had a big smile on my face. All that effort paid off ...

If anyone has any questions or want more details on my preparation strategy, feel free to leave me a message.

CAT TEST RESULTS

Princeton
(1) Free online test: 700
(2) 730
(3) 730
(4) 710
(5) 720

Kaplan
(1) 670 (diagnostic test)
(2) 570
(3) 630
(4) 600
(5) 610
(6) Kaplan website free test: 800

Powerprep
(1) Test code 25: 730
(2) 760
(3) 770

Real GMAT
750 (Q49 V42)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 18:44
Congrats!!!! And all the best with your apps!!!

:woohoo

-Vikram

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 19:26
Congratulations!!! Thats an awesome score. Its inspiring as well since my practice scores are similar to urs. I'm halfway through my prep and I've taken the Kaplan diag (670) and 1st Kaplan cd test (570). How much more prep would you say I require to be able to score as well as you did on the real test?

Once again, congratulations!!!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 11:49
Hi yb,

I would really get the Official Guide/PowerPrep and work on those questions ... the questions on the real GMAT is very similar to the questions in the OG ...

And Kaplan 800 was also very useful ... the questions were very difficult. But once you master these questions, the real GMAT questions will be easy!

Good luck!

PC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 17:16
your score is to be admired, :band :beer congratulations and good luck with the apps
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 06:16
"talked with my boyfriend on the phone for two hours"

I've been on these forums for a while and I've never seen a girl score that high.. Congrats!

At least I hope you're one :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 11:13
MBAorBUST wrote:

I've been on these forums for a while and I've never seen a girl score that high.. Congrats!

Hey... what am I, chopped liver? :P

Congrats on your excellent score, Porkchop!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 15:28
No offense, of course :-D , we love accomplished women!

coffeeloverfreak wrote:
MBAorBUST wrote:

Hey... what am I, chopped liver? :P

Congrats on your excellent score, Porkchop!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 21:01
Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing the experience & good luck with apps process!
Intern
Intern

Thanks! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 16:53
Thanks for all your congrats!
Thanks!   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2005, 16:53