Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Complete the Passagex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [304]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [94]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [88]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [29]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: At a recent conference on environmental threats to the North Sea, most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Argument:
Most participants favoured uniform controls on the quality on effluents in conference on environmental threats to the North Sea. This irrespective of the fact whether or not specific environmental damage could be attributed to a particular source of effluent.

Pre thinking:
Most participants wants the quality control will happen on all effluents irrespective of the fact whether any environmental damage could be attributed to a particular source of effluent. So to avoid excessively restrictive controls only those effluents which cause environmental damage should be controlled.

Analysis of answer Choices:

(A) Any uniform controls that are adopted are likely to be implemented without delay
Incorrect: Irrelevant as talks about delay and not excessively restrictive controls.

(B) Any substance to be made subject to controls can actually cause environmental damage
Correct: this will make sure that only those substances which damage environment will be subjected to control thus preventing control on effluents which are not damaging to environment.

(C) the countries favouring uniform controls are those generating the largest quantities of effluents
Incorrect: Irrelevant .No relation with effluent causing damage and excessively restrictive controls.

(D) all of any given pollutant that is to be controlled actually reaches the North Sea at present
Incorrect: pollutant damaging North Sea is the problem even if not all of it reached the sea.

(E) Environmental damage already inflicted on the North Sea is reversible
Incorrect: Irrelevant. Argument is about managing the effluent to prevent any environmental damage in future.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [7]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: At a recent conference on environmental threats to the North Sea, most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
What must, of course, be shown, in order to mitigate the risk of excessively restrictive controls, is that ____________________

The question makes it clear that most participants are in favour of passing restrictive control measures. Also the premise states "Such controls were overwhelmingly supported without regard to whether or not specific environmental damage could be linked to a particular type of food being used." This statement can be rephrased to mean that it doesn't matters which food type causes which kind of problem, any food which causes any kind of eneviromental damage should be restricted. now the question is concerned about risk of too much of restrictive control , so only that choice which talks about lessening the risk of excessive control should be the answer.

a) Doesn't address the issue which passage asks.

b) Correct . - Rephrased this option says that only the foods which do cause environmental damage should be put under control. foods which don't cause problems should not be. Hence this is the right answer because it asks to completely avoid non-enviroment damaging foods to be put under restriction.

c) is not related with what we are concerned.

d) The tricky answer choice. "all of the chemicals that are ingredients in some of the controlled substances are known to cause environmental damage". we are not concerned with only some of the controlled substances but all of them.

e) This is a pessimistic choice that essentially states that damage already caused cannot be reversed. The premise and question stem is concerned about mitigating the risk of excessive control , not about saying that what has happened has happened. It asks about what can be done and not what cannot be done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I had a unique issue with this question. I assumed that 'What must, of course, be shown' implied that the reader/I needed to find a reason (negative assumption) that will make the countries to avoid excessively resistive controls. B and D are irrelevant with this angle. Hence, I went with C as the closest.

Only after reading the explanation, realized that it is a suggestion (a guideline) for the process so as to avoid excessively resistive controls.. B clearly wins ( probably that's why the 'of course' was included in the question)

I still feel there are two angles (author's and reader's) to understand this question. Not sure why I should choose one over the other.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
(D) is wrong because what is at issue is whether any effluents are actually causing damage to the environment in the first place. (D) is focused on whether ALL of one effluent actually reaching the North Sea. That point is not that important.

Even if only half of an effluent makes it to the North Sea, if that effluent is toxic it is still causing damage and should thus be controlled.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sandipan.mondal wrote:
At a recent conference on environmental threats to the North Sea, most participating countries favored uniform controls on the quality on effluents, whether or not specific environmental damage could be attributed to a particular source of effluent. What must, of course, be shown, in order to avoid excessively restrictive controls, is that______

(A) Any uniform controls that are adopted are likely to be implemented without delay
(B) any substance to be made subject to controls can actually cause environmental damage
(C) the countries favoring uniform controls are those generating the largest quantities of effluents
(D) all of any given pollutant that is to be controlled actually reaches the North Sea at present
(E) environmental damage already inflicted on the North Sea is reversible

This question might seem very elementary, but I have a slight problem with it. The OA is (B). It is logical, but I'm not sure why (B) is really required if the countries are not bothered whether or not specific damage can be attributed to a particular effluent. Shouldn't (D) perhaps be an option?

Now what makes the author say this: "What must, of course, be shown, in order to avoid excessively restrictive controls, is that".

It is because of this:most participating countries favored uniform controls on the quality on effluents, whether or not specific environmental damage could be attributed to a particular source of effluent.

The "whether or not" in the above suggests that the controls could be excessive.

So to avoid the excessive controls we need to show that "any substance to be made subject to controls can actually cause environmental damage" which is choice B.
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [6]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Question is asking us "What will remove drawback "Excessive Restriction" from the plan "Restricting effluents to save north sea"

Argument :
Nation agrees - Block everything (Effluent) from entering north sea, irrespective of the nature (Whether harmful or harmless) of effluents.

Let's take some real life example.
To decrease deaths due to road accident , Stop every vehicle on road. :P , Now if i ask one what is your reaction to this, he/she will say "police intention is good but it may bring trouble to innocent people. Police should stop only heavy/harmful vehicle"

Exactly in same line we need to think. We need to find option, which can remove drawback from plan

POE.
(A) any uniform controls that are adopted are likely to be implemented without delay

That can be deployed, but it will not avoid excessive restriction.

(B) any substance to be made subject to controls can actually cause environmental damage

Yes, if they don't damage and still if nation blocks then it will be consider as excessive restriction. (Same as we thought above) - Make sense - Keep it aside.

(C) the countries favoring uniform controls are those generating the largest quantities of effluents

That is Ok, Nations need to save north sea, irrespective of the share of pollution of each nation - Out of scope

we need to think what will impact once plan is implemented - out of scope

(E) environmental damage already inflicted on the North Sea is reversible

if it is reversible, then probably we dont this restriction. So it does not answer the question in plate.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM

Here is an official explanation from OG.

How can excessively restrictive controls be avoided? To prevent pollutants from entering the North Sea, countries decide to control the quality of effluents. They need to control only those effluents that cause environmental damage. There is no need to restrict harmless effluents.

A The immediacy of adopting controls does not prevent the controls from being overly restrictive.

B Correct. This statement properly identifies the fact that controls on harmless effluents would be excessively restrictive and so should be avoided.

C Avoiding unnecessary restrictions involves analyzing the quality of the effluents, not the composition of the countries favoring the restrictions.

D It is not necessary to prove that all of a pollutant reaches the North Sea. It is necessary to prove only that some of it does.

E is out of scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The word "all" should be a red flag. What if only MOST or SOME of a given pollutant actually reaches the North Sea? Would controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not. Furthermore, if an effluent is known to be an environmental threat, it might make sense to implement controls to ensure it doesn't harm the North Sea in the future. Eliminate (D).

Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo
Would you please confirm my interpretation?
GMATNinja wrote:
The word "all" should be a red flag. What if only MOST or SOME of a given pollutant actually reaches the North Sea?

Do you mean you negate choice D?
because some of a given pollutant actually reaches to the North Sea, So does it equally say some of a given pollutant actually does NOT reaches the North Sea?

Then consider that whether argument fall apart if negate D,
as you mentioned above:
GMATNinja wrote:
Would controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not.

Did i miss something?

I think it is hard for me to consider whether controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not.
Rather, it will be easier for me to onsider whether controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it does reach the North Sea? -- the answer is NOT exceed, because loss control, or not strict control, some polutant reaches the orth Sea,
so negative D will loss control, the opposite of exceed control,
Then D is correct,
Here is my reasoning, I know i am incorrect, but i don't know where, please point out.

Genuinely want your help, Please~~~

thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The word "all" should be a red flag. What if only MOST or SOME of a given pollutant actually reaches the North Sea? Would controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not. Furthermore, if an effluent is known to be an environmental threat, it might make sense to implement controls to ensure it doesn't harm the North Sea in the future. Eliminate (D).

Hi GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo
Would you please confirm my interpretation?
GMATNinja wrote:
The word "all" should be a red flag. What if only MOST or SOME of a given pollutant actually reaches the North Sea?

Do you mean you negate choice D?
because some of a given pollutant actually reaches to the North Sea, So does it equally say some of a given pollutant actually does NOT reaches the North Sea?

Then consider that whether argument fall apart if negate D,
as you mentioned above:
GMATNinja wrote:
Would controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not.

Did i miss something?

I think it is hard for me to consider whether controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it doesn't reach the North Sea? Of course not.
Rather, it will be easier for me to onsider whether controlling that substance be excessively restrictive just because SOME of it does reach the North Sea? -- the answer is NOT exceed, because loss control, or not strict control, some polutant reaches the orth Sea,
so negative D will loss control, the opposite of exceed control,
Then D is correct,
Here is my reasoning, I know i am incorrect, but i don't know where, please point out.

Genuinely want your help, Please~~~

thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

zoezhuyan, please understand that we experts receive numerous requests for help each day, and, while we do our best to respond in a timely manner, we cannot get to everyone -- so I apologize for not being able to answer absolutely every question you've asked lately. Check out this thoughtful post by mikemcgarry for another perspective.

As for this question, I'm afraid I don't quite understand your reasoning, but let me try to help anyway....

Let's say that a factory generates a waste product called Chemical X. Chemical X is very bad for the environment. If (D) were the answer, then any controls on Chemical X would be excessively restricted UNLESS 100% of the Chemical X actually reaches the North Sea.

In that case, what if 90% of the Chemical X reaches the North Sea? If we go with choice (D), then controlling Chemical X would be "excessively restrictive." But that doesn't make sense... if 90% of Chemical X reaches the North Sea and that chemical is very bad for the environment, then controlling that substance would be reasonable, not excessively restrictive.

In other words, if (D) were the answer, we could have the following logic:

• 99% of the Chemical X produced by the factory reaches the North Sea.
  • We try to implement controls on Chemical X.
  • The factory says, "Well, SOME of the Chemical X (i.e. the 1%) doesn't actually reach the North Sea, so the controls are excessive!"

We do NOT need to show that ALL of the waste actually reaches the North Sea. As long as an amount significant enough to harm the environment reaches the North Sea, then the controls are justifiable.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.16
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am unable to fully comprehend the language of option B. I get confused by following 2 meanings:
a) Any substance which has to be made, if subjected to controls, will cause damage
OR
b) All substances to be made that are subject to controls, cause damage.
Please grammatically comprehend the option B
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos