Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan CAT practice test and studying advice...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kaplan CAT practice test and studying advice... [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 10:21
Hey Everyone, I've been studying for about 2 months now begining in the middle of April, the first month was light but I've stepped it up since. I'm now a month away from test day. I complete my final classroom Kaplan course this Saturday 7/16. I can tell I'm doing better. I can solve almost any question thrown at me. HOWEVER....

1. I feel like I'm taking _way_ too long and have to guess on so many of the Quant questions in the Kaplan practice exams because of time.
2. On the Kaplan test scores I scored 510 on my diagnostic, 560 on a practice test (non-CAT) and this morning scored 520 on my first Kaplan CAT practice test.

I'm starting to get discouraged but I'm trying to keep my head up after seeing a trend of lower Kaplan practice test scores compared with the same person's actual GMAT scores. Over the next four weeks I'm taking each Thursday off work to study for the whole day. I'm going to start reading the GMAT bible (OG) religiously. I don't know if I can do that all in the next four weeks however. I'm done with all the Kaplan online 'workshops' as well as the classroom sessions so now I can devote that time to study the OG, the Kaplan practice tests, and the Kaplan sample problem banks.

I guess what I'm asking is - 1. Will a month be enough time to increase my speed? 2. Should I attack the OG primarily and focus on Kaplan's stuff secondary? 3. Am I hopeless with those terrible scores on the Kaplan practice tests?

Thanks everyone.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 09:37
1) cant answer.
2) OG is the bible for GMAT - finish it, and finish it well. analyse your answers, questions etc.
3) kaplan scores are generally lower than the actual test results. the general arithmetic says actual gmat = kaplan + ( 80 to 100)..
you are hopeless if you believe so, so look up and move ahead.

read the test experiences of some high scores...you will definitely get some important pointers of what you should and shouldnt do....

i am sure some of our other participants will chip in with their advice too !
all the best !
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 11:36
Thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it. Yesterday after I posted the topic I headed off to the library down the street and burned through 100 PS questions in the OG. I timed myself and was averaging about an hour for every 25 questions. Not where I want to be but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel to get there. I missed between 3 - 5 questions on each set of 25 so I was happy with that as well. I'm sure DS and SC will be a different story but for now I'm pleased. Thanks again for the support and does anyone know how the level of difficulty for each question in the OG is distributed? Is it random? Does the OG contain only 500 - 700 level questions, etc?

Also, I have to say I'm looking forward to this being over regardless of the outcome. Last night after taking one practice exam then six hours of studying my brain literally hurt. I found myself staring at the bottom of my TV screen because it was too much effort to raise my eyes. :shock:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2005, 08:21
dont burn yourself...
because that might just hurt your performance on the gmat.

dont know exactly how OG is arranged - but my guess is that it progressively grows in difficulty...so the last set of questions should be toughest...i know this for certain about the DS section ( cant commit about other sections)

also, i would rather spread out the OG questions in smaller batches than do them 100 at a shot...you wanna get a feel, and learn slowly but steadily....

all of this comes from someone who hasnt experienced the real gmat yet - so take it with a pinch of salt.
  [#permalink] 20 Jul 2005, 08:21