Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan CATs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 18:12
Almost my entire preparation for GMAT has been based on the Kaplan quizzes, workshops, and CATs. The GMAT OG somehow just magically appeared in the mail the other day, I didn't order it. Maybe KAPLAN ordered it for me.

I was planning on making the last 2 weeks of studying based mostly on the Kaplan quizbank, because it is highly customizable, and have been spending about 1.5 hours a night doing 30 questions and reviewing them meticulously. I'm getting about 80-90% correct on everything in the easy/medium range. I haven't broken into hardcore 10 question sets of difficult yet, as I'm trying to explore the vast range of potential question types.

My scores on Kaplan tests ranged all over from mid 500s in the beginning to consistent mid to high 600s and once a 760 (I recognized a lot of questions from prior CATs - LAME!)

Do you think the quizbank approach is a good strategy with some addtl CATs thrown in? 30 questions a night isn't taking me very long, if I have the time, do you recommend more? I'm taking the real GMAT on Jan 29th.

Oh, also I got 680 and 660 on the GMATPrep CATs - if I take them again, will I get a lot of repeats?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 01:58
Just a word of advice...altough "okay" for practicing, avoid Kaplan if you have other material. Every one here treats OG as a bible and Kaplan as a cheap tabloid.

The Kaplan CAT actually destroyed my christmas since I did one on christmas eve, before i went on holiday, and i scored only 590, which according to many people who have done Kaplan CATs is a non indicative score. I am scoring 650-700 in the MGMAT CATs. I haven't yet tried the GMATPrep CATs. Saving them.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 07:53
You should be in good shape with 'Oh, also I got 680 and 660 on the GMATPrep CATs '...

I'm also aiming for a GMAT date around the same time.

I had been preparing with Kaplan stuff until I took their CATs. I fell I just dropped my self from a high mountain with scores ranging from 520-550.

After reading a few posts at this forum, I got a feeling to not treat Kaplan CATS scores as mere reflection of your true score.

GOOD LUCK
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 20:00
Kaplan doesn't even tell people who take its GMAT course that the OG exists, so I doubt they sent it to you. Maybe you have a GMAT godfairy!!! LOL.

Don't retake the Kaplan tests. They're not that good to begin with. Do the GMATPrep tests. Those you can uninstall and reinstall and mostly get new questions. Also the PR tests are very good, far better than Kaplan.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 06:18
They just recently started to give the OG11 with enrollment.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 06:45
Really? That's good. I guess they finally got wind of it! LOL.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 05:54
mochajava wrote:
Kaplan doesn't even tell people who take its GMAT course that the OG exists, so I doubt they sent it to you. Maybe you have a GMAT godfairy!!! LOL.

Don't retake the Kaplan tests. They're not that good to begin with. Do the GMATPrep tests. Those you can uninstall and reinstall and mostly get new questions. Also the PR tests are very good, far better than Kaplan.

Took the gmatprep1 again on Sunday, nailed it with a 760, my highest "legitimate" score yet.
My weaknesses are definitely number property DS questions - anyone have any advice on best sources for practice questions?

I've blown through the first 50 OG questions, they don't seem that hard - do they increase with difficulty the further in you go? I'm so used to practicing on the PC, the book method feels unnatural.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CATs [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 10:35
I was frustrated too, after taking 2 of the 4 tests that accompany the Kaplan book. I have also read negative reviews about these too.

But given that I can only practice the two GMATPrep and the 6 Kaplan Tests, I think I would still use the Kaplans. Otherwise I would be left with just 2 of the GMATPreps.

I have not explored the possibility of more tests, can any one point me to right directions for more tests?

Thnx
Re: Kaplan CATs   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2008, 10:35