Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan online test question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 10:34
I took one of the online tests which come with the kaplan premier book...

This was test no. 2. The test only gave me problem solving questions till Q. no 22 or so... no DS... DS appeared almost in a sequence after that with a couple of prob solving Qs. thrown in...

The same thing happened on verbal --- the first 18 questions or so were all SC... then all CR questions came in a sequence till no. 30 and just RC for the last 10!

Is this test designed this way or is something wrong? How is this supposed to be 'practice' for the gmat when the question types are appearing in sequence and not in random order?

I got 2 wrong out of the 37 in Quant (the questions were much, much simpler than any of the other tests I have taken so far) and got a 47... and 13 wrong in verbal (with 6-7 wrong in RC) for a 37... overall 660...

I am not going to ask about the scoring algorithm as that topic has been beaten to death but I do want to know if all kaplan tests will have question types appearing in sequence? Also, what is the difference between the tests that come in the CD with the premier book and the online tests - are they the same?

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 16:35
gmat1011 wrote:
I took one of the online tests which come with the kaplan premier book...

This was test no. 2. The test only gave me problem solving questions till Q. no 22 or so... no DS... DS appeared almost in a sequence after that with a couple of prob solving Qs. thrown in...

The same thing happened on verbal --- the first 18 questions or so were all SC... then all CR questions came in a sequence till no. 30 and just RC for the last 10!

Is this test designed this way or is something wrong? How is this supposed to be 'practice' for the gmat when the question types are appearing in sequence and not in random order?

I got 2 wrong out of the 37 in Quant (the questions were much, much simpler than any of the other tests I have taken so far) and got a 47... and 13 wrong in verbal (with 6-7 wrong in RC) for a 37... overall 660...

I am not going to ask about the scoring algorithm as that topic has been beaten to death but I do want to know if all kaplan tests will have question types appearing in sequence? Also, what is the difference between the tests that come in the CD with the premier book and the online tests - are they the same?

Thanks.

Hi!

I'm not completely familiar with the resources associated with our retail books, but it sounds like you took a linear test, rather than a CAT. What was the actual title of the test? If it wasn't called a "CAT", then it probably wasn't one.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 19:04
thanks Stuart. The book that I have is called: Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Edition Premier: http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-2010-2011- ... 1607142708

I got a CD with the book which I can't find now... The book also comes with access to an online companion (available at kaptest.com).. You are right - the first 2 tests are classified as 'linear' in a different part of the website... 3-6 are CATs...

Not sure if this is the forum to make the request but I found the last RC passage on the test incredibly difficult - got 3 of the 4 wrong --- it was about Virgil's Aeneid -- Q. 38-41. I can't select and paste the text from the passage - but I think its probably the hardest RC passage i have seen to date...
Q. Id: g600277.04 to g600277.01... I can't find it on the forums...

Any specific tips on approaching a question like this one would be greatly appreciated... Though I tried I just couldn't avoid getting glazed eyes after reading through the passage...
Attachments

photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG [ 416.35 KiB | Viewed 1400 times ]

Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 01:03
I'm out of the office until January 4th, but when I'm back I'll take a look at that passage - I don't have access to the material until then, sorry!

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 20:39
Thx stuart!
Much appreciated I will also try to get a screen shot of the whole passage and upload it. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan online test question [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 08:00
Hi Stuart

I have posted the RC passage in the RC section @: virgil-s-aeneid-107132.html#p843540

Would greatly appreciate an approach/strategy for a dense passage such as this one... Hope you can find time once you are back from vacation. Thanks!