Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan Q Bank Question Difficulty Level

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Kaplan Q Bank Question Difficulty Level [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:41
Hello, I wanted to know how the difficulty levels in the Q Bank correlate to actual GMAT question difficulty. For instance, do the hard questions in quants represent questions in the Q45 and above? So far the quant questions that I've done in the hard category don't seem too challenging so I was just wondering what the correlation is? Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan Q Bank Question Difficulty Level [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 20:25
Expert's post
macjas wrote:
Hello, I wanted to know how the difficulty levels in the Q Bank correlate to actual GMAT question difficulty. For instance, do the hard questions in quants represent questions in the Q45 and above? So far the quant questions that I've done in the hard category don't seem too challenging so I was just wondering what the correlation is? Thanks!

Hi macjas,

Unfortunately, it's hard to judge exact difficulties, and we're constantly gathering statistical data to refine out accuracy. That said, we don't have hard-and-fast guidelines for what is "high" difficulty--we make a rough estimate based on the concepts tesed and the proportion of students that get it right.

Hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kaplan Q Bank Question Difficulty Level [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 21:05
Hey Eli,

Thanks for the prompt response. The Q Banks are still IMO good practice: very helpful for building stamina and pace and just overall practice for those need to do a lot of problems. I tend to make a lot of silly quant mistakes and I've been out of school for five years now. Practising many quant problems, even the easy ones, helps me improve my speed and accuracy. One thing though, I wish Kaplan had put some more time into categorizing the problems. For instance, it would have been nice to have categories such as Inequalities, Absolute Values, Percent, Ratios etc. instead of the Algebra and Arithmetic which are very broad categories. Another suggestion is that the user should be allowed to see which questions on a quiz are easy/medium/hard. For example when I create mixed difficulty quizzes, the review/analysis only tells me how many of each type were in the quiz and my percentage accuracy. I would be good to see which questions fall in which difficulty level.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan Q Bank Question Difficulty Level [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 17:36
Expert's post
macjas wrote:
Hey Eli,

Thanks for the prompt response. The Q Banks are still IMO good practice: very helpful for building stamina and pace and just overall practice for those need to do a lot of problems. I tend to make a lot of silly quant mistakes and I've been out of school for five years now. Practising many quant problems, even the easy ones, helps me improve my speed and accuracy. One thing though, I wish Kaplan had put some more time into categorizing the problems. For instance, it would have been nice to have categories such as Inequalities, Absolute Values, Percent, Ratios etc. instead of the Algebra and Arithmetic which are very broad categories. Another suggestion is that the user should be allowed to see which questions on a quiz are easy/medium/hard. For example when I create mixed difficulty quizzes, the review/analysis only tells me how many of each type were in the quiz and my percentage accuracy. I would be good to see which questions fall in which difficulty level.
Thanks for the feedback. The new test is giving Kaplan an opportunity to look again at every aspect of our materials to make sure they're the best for our students, so I'll be sure to pass on your suggestions!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews