Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

I am taking my GMAT on August 13th but I have been studying on and off for about a year. I feel I am pretty close to the 700 level. I just wanted to say that this is a great board - in my opinion the best on the net. I wanted to give a review on what I have done as my time with GMAT comes to a close. I took the Kaplan review last August through October (2008). While it does help with the basics, I feel like it will not get your ready for the upper 700's. It did take my score from a 560 to a 650 but the last 50 to a 100 I have had to do by other resources. Kaplan did however get me in the mode of the GMAT, and made me accountable for studying and got me in the groove so to speak. But my feeling is, if you really want this you will do whatever it takes anyway.

The skinny: If you want to just score up to the mid 600's then pay the $1300 and get it. However, I feel like you dont need to. If you are hell bent on buying one of these courses I feel that Manhatten would serve you better, this coming from buying their practice tests as well as their SC book. You would be better served on quant to buy the practice tests for $75 from this site - they will really bust your ego! But they will get you ready! THEY ARE THE BEST RESOURCE OUT THERE - besides maybe the OG. For verbal, the tests on here are also good. For CR the best thing I have found is the Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning bible. If you can master this book, CR will be a breeze. For SC, the Manhatten SC book is the bible.

P.S. I have also purchased the OG Companion......I will write a review on that later and let you know.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8384 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 18:50
Expert's post
Thank you for your kind words about our tests and your testimonial on Kaplan - I will add you to the list of Reviewers here: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html
If I can capture the gist - you felt it did a good job getting your score up 50-100 points but you thought Manhattan would have been a better ROI.

Anything specific you can share about the class? What did you like? Anything that irritated you? How was the teacher?

P.S. Can't wait on the OG Companion review. It is a bit expensive...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
BB,

Thank you for letting me post on this, and my apologies - I have a crazy job so I am kind of slow to respond. Yes, I think the Manhatten program may be better, but honestly that is just from getting their books - so I guess in a way their publications are much better. I guess I just made a generalization that their class was better because their books rock, so I apologize. The problem I had is that I live in rural western North Carolina and Kaplan was the closest at 1.5 hours away (Knoxville, TN) and Manhatten was in Atlanta or Charlotte (3 hours away). Kaplan did tell us that they could raise our score up to 90 points - which they did and they graciously fullfilled all their end of the bargain. The customer service in Knoxville was also great. My teacher was also very good - and he had scored fairly high on the GMAT himself. The best thing about the class was they gave you homework which made you accountable and made you study. I also, made some good friends in there - one great friend who is in Duke's EMBA program now. Personally though, I get the feeling that the course is meant for folks who want around a 600 and want to get into a non top 25 school. It will give you a great base to start with. However, (and I think about this everytime I do these crazy ass problems) to get into the top schools you have to do a little more. bb, Kaplan offers a 800 class for people who have scored 650 or above but they are only offered in large metro areas like Atlanta, LA, NY, etc. I however I could not do this, because I'm a hick! You can spend a lot less money on things like these tests on here, as well as the books mentioned above and do just as well IMHO.

I have SCOURED these boards and here is basically the magic formula:

Quant:
OG
The OG purple and green books were good too, just more practice.
GMAT Club tests - The hammer, the best.
Manhatten number properties

verbal:
OG
SC - Manhatten SC Guide
CR - Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible, the Manhatten GMAT CR Guide is good too - but if you can master the LSAT book - your good to go.
RC - The Kaplan premier online program was good for this, but basically any book that will give you reading practice - Manhatten RC book is good also.

Also, I bought the Kaplan 800 book but the math was not near hard enough - the verbal was pretty good.

I hope this helps and thanks bb.

P.S. As soon as I get into the OG companion I will let you know.....

Last edited by benpack03 on 02 Jun 2009, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 13:38
I also forgot to add, you can also spend about $400 to $500 on the above - maybe, instead of the $1300 for Kaplan.

Last edited by benpack03 on 03 Jun 2009, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8384 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 21:06
Expert's post
Thank you very much for sharing and for the formula too!
I have already added your post to the thread to help future generations to pick their class
gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan Review [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 03:31
bb,

Thank you for letting me contribute to this great site. It has helped me out a lot, so its good to give back.

When I get the GMATFix OG Companion and run through it, I will write a review.

Thanks again,

Ben
Re: Kaplan Review   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2009, 03:31