Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 124
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 19

Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 04:55
Hi all,
I have a question.
i just took a kaplan exam, i had 15 geometry questions. most of them were from High difficulty (which is probably 700+).
How many geometry questions are there in a real GMAT exam?
i also had like 6 propability questions..
I ended up the test as "below 85%" quant. what can i conclude from that saying?
I started well with 12 correct questions and then had 2 correct 2 inorrect in avreage...

Have a strange feeling about this test...
thanks
Roy
_________________

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)


IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 07:23
Don't worry, roygush, you really can't conclude much from a Kaplan test.

You can expect roughly five geometry questions on an actual GMAT exam, give or take a few. You'll probably see only one or two probability questions on a typical GMAT, though it's possible to escape without seeing any at all, and you might get three or more on a really strange day. But six? Probably not.

If you got the first 12 right and missed half of the questions from that point forward, you had a really strong test--if you do the same thing on an actual GMAT, your score should be excellent. Just focus on learning as much as you can from the questions you missed on the Kaplan test, and take the score with a grain of salt.
_________________

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 124
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 19

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 07:28
GMATNinja wrote:
Don't worry, roygush, you really can't conclude much from a Kaplan test.

You can expect roughly five geometry questions on an actual GMAT exam, give or take a few. You'll probably see only one or two probability questions on a typical GMAT, though it's possible to escape without seeing any at all, and you might get three or more on a really strange day. But six? Probably not.

If you got the first 12 right and missed half of the questions from that point forward, you had a really strong test--if you do the same thing on an actual GMAT, your score should be excellent. Just focus on learning as much as you can from the questions you missed on the Kaplan test, and take the score with a grain of salt.


ninja,
thank you for your honest reply.

what do you think about the MGMAT tests? are they better than Kaplan's?
_________________

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)


IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2289
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1972 [0], given: 669

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 08:20
Expert's post
roygush wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Don't worry, roygush, you really can't conclude much from a Kaplan test.

You can expect roughly five geometry questions on an actual GMAT exam, give or take a few. You'll probably see only one or two probability questions on a typical GMAT, though it's possible to escape without seeing any at all, and you might get three or more on a really strange day. But six? Probably not.

If you got the first 12 right and missed half of the questions from that point forward, you had a really strong test--if you do the same thing on an actual GMAT, your score should be excellent. Just focus on learning as much as you can from the questions you missed on the Kaplan test, and take the score with a grain of salt.


ninja,
thank you for your honest reply.

what do you think about the MGMAT tests? are they better than Kaplan's?



try to learn from each question provided by each prep company. do the best.

who is better or worse among prep company should not be your concern. though kaplan has a good cat, maybe mgmat cat is the closest to the real test ;)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 124
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 19

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 11:54
carcass wrote:
roygush wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Don't worry, roygush, you really can't conclude much from a Kaplan test.

You can expect roughly five geometry questions on an actual GMAT exam, give or take a few. You'll probably see only one or two probability questions on a typical GMAT, though it's possible to escape without seeing any at all, and you might get three or more on a really strange day. But six? Probably not.

If you got the first 12 right and missed half of the questions from that point forward, you had a really strong test--if you do the same thing on an actual GMAT, your score should be excellent. Just focus on learning as much as you can from the questions you missed on the Kaplan test, and take the score with a grain of salt.


ninja,
thank you for your honest reply.

what do you think about the MGMAT tests? are they better than Kaplan's?



try to learn from each question provided by each prep company. do the best.

who is better or worse among prep company should not be your concern. though kaplan has a good cat, maybe mgmat cat is the closest to the real test ;)


You are right :)
I was just feeling weird the whole exam.
thanks
_________________

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)


IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Posts: 166
Location: San Francisco, California
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 1

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 20:03
In my experience with actual GMAT tests, I see total of four geometry question, and I am putting plane geometry and coordinate geometry under the Geometry category. The distribution between Coordinate and Plan geometry has been all over. One test I had three coordinate geometry and one plane geometry, in another they were all plane geometry and none on coordinate geometry. Please consider this information based on my individual experience. I wish my students remembered more about their tests so I had more solid data on this information.

So 15 geometry questions on an actual GMAT test will never happen. On the actual GMAT, the test writers have to ensure that they have questions from a sufficiently diverse set of topics. Otherwise, someone who was very strong in Geometry, and very little else would get a skewed high score.

Cheers,
Dabral
_________________

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Re: Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2012, 20:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
There are 15 questions in a test paper in which the question kingb 2 11 Nov 2012, 10:26
Kaplan online test question gmat1011 5 20 Dec 2010, 10:34
Kaplan CAT Tests RC Questions RonaY 0 18 Jul 2010, 14:57
Experts publish their posts in the topic Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests occamsrazor 8 14 Jul 2010, 16:00
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 15 bb 20 06 Jun 2009, 21:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kaplan tests are weird? had 15 geometry questions in a test

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.