Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan vs Veritas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Kaplan vs Veritas [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 21:10
I'm taking CATs for both and am wondering which is more accurate, or which score I should pay attention to more. The Quant for the Veritas test seemed more difficult, but then again, it's not exactly my strong suite (and judging by my scores, none of the sections are :( )

First test with Kaplan: 580 (35 Q 38V)
Second test with Kaplan: 560 (39Q 27V)

First test with Veritas: 610 (36Q 33V)

I know. I have a lot of work ahead of me with less than 7 weeks left till test day.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: Kaplan vs Veritas [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 11:43
Expert's post
Don't pay attention to either score. Focus on learning from your mistakes on both tests. The only thing that matters is what you actually get on the real thing. Everything else is just a best guess estimator.

If you'd like you can also gauge yourself with this practice test we offer online: www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/practice-test

At the end of the day, what matters is your thought process - how you are able to approach the same question -- or similar types of questions -- in an effective/efficient manner so that you choose the right one quickly and move on.

You may want to study the OG book thoroughly. In the process, take a look at the video explanations we provide to accompany your studies: www.gmatpill.com/official-guide

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan vs Veritas [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 08:27
As far as your baseline, your abilities are somewhere around a 580 right now (average of your three scores). In the future, GMATPrep CATs are the most accurate measure of your abilities and when using third party CATs, try to stick with the same set. MGMAT are great because you can get six for about $15.

And that is a good point from GMAT Pill - the important thing is to prep effectively for 2-3 weeks now and then retake a CAT to measure your improvement.

What is your goal score?

If you want guidance on self-studying, please look up my book GMAT Clarity on Amazon. It teaches you how to score your highest preparing for the GMAT without a course. It walks you through getting the best prep materials and planning a perfect course to fit your needs and free time.

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Kaplan vs Veritas [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 20:54
ThomasHall wrote:
As far as your baseline, your abilities are somewhere around a 580 right now (average of your three scores). In the future, GMATPrep CATs are the most accurate measure of your abilities and when using third party CATs, try to stick with the same set. MGMAT are great because you can get six for about $15.

And that is a good point from GMAT Pill - the important thing is to prep effectively for 2-3 weeks now and then retake a CAT to measure your improvement.

What is your goal score?

If you want guidance on self-studying, please look up my book GMAT Clarity on Amazon. It teaches you how to score your highest preparing for the GMAT without a course. It walks you through getting the best prep materials and planning a perfect course to fit your needs and free time.

I was planning on taking the first GMATPrep CAT this weekend to get a better gauge of where I'm at. Or should I wait a week? My test is scheduled for June 14th, so time's flying by.

For MGMAT Prep, I can't seem to find any strategy guide $15 that also has the CATs. http://www.manhattangmat.com/store.cfm Am I looking in the right section? I see the Strategy Guides which are $26. And I see an offer of 6 CATs for $50. Is that worth it, or should I stick with what I have? (5 Kaplan CATs of which 2 I've taken, 12 Veritas tests of which I've taken 1 which had errors with the test itself, 2 GMATPrep tests).

I'm shooting for a 680. Don't know how realistic that is in such a short time
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan vs Veritas [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 21:01
Definitely wait at least a week to take your next full CAT.

Amazon has cheaper MGMAT books than MGMAT's website. That being said, you are probably fine with the Veritas tests.

Going up 100 points in 45 prep days? Its certainly possible. That will take around 150 hours of prep if you prep very efficiently. That comes out to an average of over three hours of prep a day, which is a lot for most students.

I strongly recommend you pick up GMAT Clarity (its only $40) or enroll with a course or find a tutor. Improving that quickly on your own is very unlikely.

Thomas Hall

Re: Kaplan vs Veritas   [#permalink] 01 May 2014, 21:01