Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 07:59
Hey Folks,

The last few days have been extremely great for me, received admits from two of the schools I had applied to (Kelley and Oxford). I really like both the schools and I am pretty sure that both schools will provide me a good foundation to attain my goals. Here is my dilemma and I would really appreciate any help in clearing out this dilemma of mine.

Oxford MBA vs Kelley MBA ($$): Which one to choose?
I am from a Software Engineering back ground and want to move into Product management post MBA and in a longer run want to start my own entrepreneurial venture.

Oxford MBA:
Pros:
- 1 year MBA more cost beneficial.
- International exposure.
- Strong reputation in Asia and Europe.
Cons:
- Young school.
- New visa rules for internationals in UK are a big change and not in a positive direction for international students. This is a big downer for me.

Kelley MBA:
Pros:
- Less cost also as they have given me some money.
- Strong reputation in the entrepreneurial area.
- Large Alumni network compared to Oxford.
- Concept of academies is really amazing.

Cons:
- Recruitment has not been so good for international students.
- 2 year course more loss of income.

I am an Asian who has been living and working in USA for 7 years now. In a long run would like to settle down in USA.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 08:57
I would go with Kelley. The situation in UK is very bad. I graduated from LSE with a post graduate degree in Economics, but could not get a full time offer despite interviewing with a few top IBs. The recession is very much a reality in the UK. Though the brand value of the Oxford MBA sounds huge, but the tough economic conditions pose a tough challenge even for top MBAs (even for LBS and Judge).

My 2 cents.

Congratulations for the admits! I have an offer from McCombs. I am also worried about the recruitment at McCombs (I am an international student).
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 09:03
if you want to stay in the US this becomes very easy....kelly all the way. See you there (most likely)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 10:05
There is information and analysis about visas in UK here :
uk-work-visa-abolished-for-internationals-108300.html

Things are not really as bad as they seem. Good luck with your decision. I dont know about the other UK schools but LBS has done well despite the recession and if anything placed better than peer US schools. Recruiting has been a lot better this year.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 13:53
ingoditrust,

let me see if i can help u make ur decision. i wud probably say Oxford for the following reasons:

1. You mentioned you are interested in entrepreneurship. Oxford (SBS) has one of the most entrepreneurial focussed MBA. The Skoll Foundation works out of SBS and is renowned for entrepreneurship in general and social entrepreneurship in particular

2. The Oxford experience is something which you can get only in Oxford (and Cambridge). No other university will give you the chance to rub shoulders with PhDs, scientists, inventors, literature students, archealogists, etc.

3. Oxford has many inventors and scientists with patents who do not necessarily have the business mind. It is a perfect mix for entrepreneurial MBAs. Come to oxford, study for the MBA, see if you can pick up some interesting invention, make a business out of it.

4. With regards to Kelley. People in USA may have heard of it, but no one outside would have. Now, if you consider Oxford, every tom, dick and harry in the world has heard about it.

5. Visa rules are something which always keep changing in every country. Some year, they are favourable, some year they are not.

6. Since you have 7 years of work experience, think hard about a 2 year MBA program. Will it give you value for money vis-a-vis a 1 year MBA?

I am probably being biased for Oxford, but that is because I have heard about Oxford and know about it. However, I have not heard about Kelley and hence won't know the other side of the story.

all the best
Re: Kelley MBA vs Oxford MBA   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 13:53