Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelley v/s Olin ($$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Kelley v/s Olin ($$) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 10:24
Hi Everyone,

I have been admitted to Kelley with no financial aid and to Olin with a 40,000$ scholarship. I am an international student from India looking to pursue a career in Marketing (I already have some prior experience in Sales & Marketing). My 2nd choice after Marketing would be General Management. Definitely looking for a job in the US post MBA at least for a few years!

Really confused between the 2 as I have received mixed opinions from people so far regarding opportunities in Marketing at Olin. On one hand, I have been told that opportunities in Marketing for internationals at Olin are very few and it is better for Finance and General Management. On the other hand, I have heard that a lot of roles offered at Olin are broadly Marketing oriented whereas it is difficult to get into Gen Management roles at Olin.

Given my situation, which one is a better school to attend. Scholarship does matter to me but not more than a better shot at a good full time opportunity. Kindly suggest. Opinions/feedback/advice needed!

Thanks!
Current Student
Shashank: Sharma
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Kelley v/s Olin ($$) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 10:37
I think the following post by a student currently enrolled at Olin might interest you:

"Quite frankly, the workload is super heavy in first semester in most of the b-schools, and Olin is no exception. You'll have continuous assignments, quizzes, exams, seminars etc and there are time when you'll have to make difficult choices too. But, I think thats the part of the b-school experience. You are going to be super busy after school and will have to make trade-offs every now and then.
Having said that, one thing that everyone puts most emphasis on is networking. There are tons of opportunities to network with Alums, industry speakers, second years and other WashU students. You'd probably be surprised to know that we (international students) got to meet alums before even the official GO! program started.
You are right in stating that Olin's reputation (and placements too) is primarily in finance. Marketing, consulting and Supply chain are respected but arguably not as great in terms of placements. Again- thing to note here is, the first job opportunity at campus (that we learnt about within 15 days of program start) was for marketing.
Also- Olin is a HUGE brand name in St Louis region.

One frustrating thing however is, because the undergrad program is so well reputed nationally (is considered along with the likes of Yale, Princeton etc), there are times when Super Elite companies (Ones that you'd kill to work with) come to campus only to recruit undergrads and that makes you feel like $hit. "
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Kelley v/s Olin ($$) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
As someone who's recruiting for marketing, I'll say this:

The majority of the firms that recruit for marketing are CPG, and I've seen that there's a disturbingly low number of these firms willing to sponsor international students. For example Colgate-Palmolive seems to be one of the few. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the school places in Marketing (with the exception of Kellogg since practically every marketing focused company and then some recruits there), it's if the companies doing the recruiting are willing to hire internationals. I'd do some research on which companies hire internationals and cross-check that list to see who goes to Olin and/or Kelley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Kelley v/s Olin ($$)   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2013, 14:30