Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Columbia, Kelley, Stern, McCombs, Owen, Mendoza
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 11:47
I'm in the process of making my final decision on where to go in the fall and I would appreciate everyone's insight. I will be majoring in finance and trying to go into Investment Management post-MBA. I will most likely be targeting the Chicago job market. Given that info, here are my options (in no particular order):

1. Mendoza (Notre Dame) - $25,000/yr scholarship
2. Kelley (Indiana) - $20,000/yr scholarship and ~$17,500/yr as a GA ($11,000 tuition credit and the rest in cash)
3. Owen (Vanderbilt) - Dean's Scholar - $44,000/yr scholarship along with direct interaction with the dean, special recruiting events, and other benefits
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, WashU, Carlson, McCombs (R2int)
WE 1: 3 years Accounting
WE 2: 4 years Fin Analyst

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 12:11
Those are some appealing options. I think I would pick Owen by just a bit over Kelley. The three schools are relatively similar in prestige/ranking, but Owen is known to be strong in investment management. Kelley & Mendoza have an advantage, by proximity and recruiting connections, for getting a position in Chicago, but I think you could also get there from Vanderbilt.

Good luck with your choice!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Columbia, Kelley, Stern, McCombs, Owen, Mendoza

Re: Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 14:40
Thanks for your reply.

I've actually decided to turn down the offer from Owen for a number of reasons. I don't think it is the best fit for me from a cultural or geographic standpoint. At this point I am making a decision between Notre Dame and Indiana. The Indiana GA offer is hard to pass up, but Notre Dame really feels like it fits my personality a little bit better. It's a toss up right now and I'm hoping to have cleared things up after attending the Welcome Weekend events at both programs in the coming weeks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 18:49
Hi brown2404. I came across this thread and wanted to ask a question or two. I am an international student and if my plan to take my MBA in the US this fall pushes through, my choices boil down to Owen and Mendoza.

You mentioned about cultural/geog fit as one of the reasons for turning down Owen. May I ask you to elaborate on this? What particular impressions did you have about the school's culture? more supportive?competitive? I must admit that I am also having thoughts re the seemingly much much higher cost of living in Nashville (vs. South Bend)
Re: Kelley vs. Mendoza vs. Owen   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2011, 18:49