Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 11:06
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I know a lot of us haven't made our final decisions on where we're matriculating, but I'm trying to a handle on the logistics of attending Kellogg. Anyone plan to bring their car to school? My car is paid off and I can't decide whether I want to bring it with me or sell it. Any thoughts?


I went to Northwestern for undergrad so I can offer some advice on this point. You can pretty much get everything you need in walking distance of campus and the EL will easily get you to other parts of Evanston and into Chicago. The one thing major thing you can't get within walking distance of campus, however, is groceries (there is a Whole Foods but that's really expensive). You can take the EL to the closest grocery store in Evanston, but I don't think dealing with the getting a bunch of groceries onto the EL in 10 degree weather would be too much fun.

The other thing to keep in mind with a car is parking. The nicer apartment buildings have parking but you usually have to pay about $90 a month for a spot. Otherwise you can get a street permit from the city, but sometimes it can be difficult to find street parking. You also won't want to drive your car when you go into Chicago because parking for the day in the city is usually about $30.

Personally, I am selling my car because it's a convertible (not real practical in Chicago) and we want the cash infusion and we're keeping my husband's car. Between the two of us we can get away with only one car with the public transportation but it will be nice to have the car when we need it.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 16:01
blg529 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I know a lot of us haven't made our final decisions on where we're matriculating, but I'm trying to a handle on the logistics of attending Kellogg. Anyone plan to bring their car to school? My car is paid off and I can't decide whether I want to bring it with me or sell it. Any thoughts?


I went to Northwestern for undergrad so I can offer some advice on this point. You can pretty much get everything you need in walking distance of campus and the EL will easily get you to other parts of Evanston and into Chicago. The one thing major thing you can't get within walking distance of campus, however, is groceries (there is a Whole Foods but that's really expensive). You can take the EL to the closest grocery store in Evanston, but I don't think dealing with the getting a bunch of groceries onto the EL in 10 degree weather would be too much fun.

The other thing to keep in mind with a car is parking. The nicer apartment buildings have parking but you usually have to pay about $90 a month for a spot. Otherwise you can get a street permit from the city, but sometimes it can be difficult to find street parking. You also won't want to drive your car when you go into Chicago because parking for the day in the city is usually about $30.

Personally, I am selling my car because it's a convertible (not real practical in Chicago) and we want the cash infusion and we're keeping my husband's car. Between the two of us we can get away with only one car with the public transportation but it will be nice to have the car when we need it.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm thinking about the car thing too. If you have a car, will you need a parking pass both for your off campus apartment and on campus? If so, then we're looking at almost $200/mo in parking. Add that to insurance and gas bills, and it adds up to a lot of cab rides. I'm pretty sure taking a taxi to the grocery store (and maybe to campus if it is raining) would save a bunch of money.

That said, I've always liked the idea of getting together with a few people in the same apartment building and buying a community beater...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 16:56
tjdeluca wrote:
blg529 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I know a lot of us haven't made our final decisions on where we're matriculating, but I'm trying to a handle on the logistics of attending Kellogg. Anyone plan to bring their car to school? My car is paid off and I can't decide whether I want to bring it with me or sell it. Any thoughts?


I went to Northwestern for undergrad so I can offer some advice on this point. You can pretty much get everything you need in walking distance of campus and the EL will easily get you to other parts of Evanston and into Chicago. The one thing major thing you can't get within walking distance of campus, however, is groceries (there is a Whole Foods but that's really expensive). You can take the EL to the closest grocery store in Evanston, but I don't think dealing with the getting a bunch of groceries onto the EL in 10 degree weather would be too much fun.

The other thing to keep in mind with a car is parking. The nicer apartment buildings have parking but you usually have to pay about $90 a month for a spot. Otherwise you can get a street permit from the city, but sometimes it can be difficult to find street parking. You also won't want to drive your car when you go into Chicago because parking for the day in the city is usually about $30.

Personally, I am selling my car because it's a convertible (not real practical in Chicago) and we want the cash infusion and we're keeping my husband's car. Between the two of us we can get away with only one car with the public transportation but it will be nice to have the car when we need it.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm thinking about the car thing too. If you have a car, will you need a parking pass both for your off campus apartment and on campus? If so, then we're looking at almost $200/mo in parking. Add that to insurance and gas bills, and it adds up to a lot of cab rides. I'm pretty sure taking a taxi to the grocery store (and maybe to campus if it is raining) would save a bunch of money.

That said, I've always liked the idea of getting together with a few people in the same apartment building and buying a community beater...


You shouldn't need an on-campus parking spot. There are a TON of apartments in walking distance of campus and the campus itself is about two blocks wide and about a mile long. In part for this reason, there is very little parking on campus so I'm not even sure how feasible it is to get a parking spot on campus as a Kellogg student (it's virtually impossible as an undergrad unless you are a commuter).
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 06:45
I know I wouldn't use my car on a daily basis. I figured I would more than likely drive it on weekends if I wanted to go into Chicago to visit friends or do grocery shopping or take a road trip some place. However, monthly insurance, gas, oil changes, and maintenance can add up. I've just had a car for so long I can't imagine not having one at my disposal.

Do any students rent out houses?
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 13:33
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Do any students rent out houses?


One thing to know about renting houses is that there is a law in Evanston that no more than three unrelated people can live together. When I was in undergrad the law wasn't enforced so 6-10 people would rent out the houses, but they have started to enforce the laws in the past few years. Given how many people used to live together in houses, my guess is that they are probably prohibitively expensive for 2-3 students to rent out. Evanston isn't NY/LA/San Fran, but housing isn't cheap.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 297
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 17:53
tjdeluca wrote:
So do any admits want to start a rock band? I've played guitar for 20 yrs. I'm willing to play on weekends for beer and tips (gotta start getting back into that poor student mindset!)


There are a couple rock bands at Kellogg, so be sure to check them out if you matriculate.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 06:58
Can anyone provide insight on whether or not it's preferable to live in McManus? I wasn't sure if it's preferred over off-campus housing.

Also, in for DAK. My fiance and I are admits. Looking forward to it!
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 20:47
I just booked a double room at the Hilton Orrington from Feb 9 - Feb 12 for DAK. If anyone wants to go in on the room with me, let me know. Happy Holidays!
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 15:45
Re: the parking issue. You wont need to park on campus as long as you live in the normal areas Kellogg students frequently reside. Many apartments/condos include parking, some charge more others its built into the rent so you are paying it no matter what. You can get by without a car, yes Whole Foods is expensive but it is still cheaper to shop there than to have a car with all the associated costs that come with it (payment, gas, insurance, maintenance). Some people do rent houses, mainly families who have multiple kids. There will be some classmates with 4 or 5 kids. However, the vast majority of folks go with condos/apartments.

McManus is a great option for single folks, that way you don't have to rent a place over the summer if you are moving for your internship. It is not as nice as some of the other buildings in town, but what you get for the money makes it the best deal available.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 05:29
Hey guys. I will be coming to DAK - plan to arrive Thursday and Leave Sunday.
I'm planning on booking a room and wondered if you'd like to share?
Work in finance in London. Male 26.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 03:28
Hello all - congratulations to go with a Happy New Year! Considering I'll mostly be signing up, in a bit of a coma at this stage on how I am going to manage funding the next two years. Though I was really planning on attending, it's almost a certainty that I will not be able to make it to DAK. Pity though, I would have loved to have met everyone before classes start.

Skimming through the discussion so far... I'm from outside the US and single. I'd be grateful for suggestions on the practicality of buying a car and on decent places to rent without turning up for class with holes in both of my pockets. Gratitude in advance.
_________________

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent ~ Fundamentals of Chess, 1883

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 52
Location: Costa Rica
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 07:00
Hey guys, congrats on the admit. Does any of you has the "nice problem" of being admitted to Kellogg and Booth? how are you handling the admit weekends? (are you choosing one or are you going to both?)
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 02:20
blg529 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Do any students rent out houses?


One thing to know about renting houses is that there is a law in Evanston that no more than three unrelated people can live together. When I was in undergrad the law wasn't enforced so 6-10 people would rent out the houses, but they have started to enforce the laws in the past few years. Given how many people used to live together in houses, my guess is that they are probably prohibitively expensive for 2-3 students to rent out. Evanston isn't NY/LA/San Fran, but housing isn't cheap.


Hmm, that's an interesting law. I currently rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house in the Philadelphia area for $1800/month. I can't imagine a house in Evanston costing significantly more. If I could find 2 roommates that could be a cheap option on the rent front. However, utilities for a house can be sky high so that might offset any potential savings. I'm thinking that parking at a house would be free though.
Speaking of shared living spaces, for those of us coming Kellogg (or any school) alone does anyone plan on having a roommate? That's another thing I'm trying to decide. I live alone right now but I'm thinking of looking for a roommate to cut down on costs.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 02:23
meister wrote:
Hello all - congratulations to go with a Happy New Year! Considering I'll mostly be signing up, in a bit of a coma at this stage on how I am going to manage funding the next two years. Though I was really planning on attending, it's almost a certainty that I will not be able to make it to DAK. Pity though, I would have loved to have met everyone before classes start.

Skimming through the discussion so far... I'm from outside the US and single. I'd be grateful for suggestions on the practicality of buying a car and on decent places to rent without turning up for class with holes in both of my pockets. Gratitude in advance.


If you're looking to buy a car I would check craigslist. You should be able to find a decent vehicle that can get you from point A to point B. As for places to rent did you see the housing information on the DAK website. There are video tours of apartments in several popular places where students live.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 02:23
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I just booked a double room at the Hilton Orrington from Feb 9 - Feb 12 for DAK. If anyone wants to go in on the room with me, let me know. Happy Holidays!

Roommate found!
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 36
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 05:41
Anyone attending the Chicago area admissions reception on Thursday 12th?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 22:45
cheetarah1980 wrote:
meister wrote:
Hello all - congratulations to go with a Happy New Year! Considering I'll mostly be signing up, in a bit of a coma at this stage on how I am going to manage funding the next two years. Though I was really planning on attending, it's almost a certainty that I will not be able to make it to DAK. Pity though, I would have loved to have met everyone before classes start.

Skimming through the discussion so far... I'm from outside the US and single. I'd be grateful for suggestions on the practicality of buying a car and on decent places to rent without turning up for class with holes in both of my pockets. Gratitude in advance.


If you're looking to buy a car I would check craigslist. You should be able to find a decent vehicle that can get you from point A to point B. As for places to rent did you see the housing information on the DAK website. There are video tours of apartments in several popular places where students live.


Thanks, just talked to several people who all advise against a car in general. What's the general vibe with all on this forum - McManus or off-campus housing?

Pardon my naivete - what is the current situation with financial aid for international students? Do all offered options require you to have a US citizen/Green Card Holder as a co-signer?

~ meister
_________________

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent ~ Fundamentals of Chess, 1883

Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 75
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 11:16
adrianbr wrote:
Hey guys, congrats on the admit. Does any of you has the "nice problem" of being admitted to Kellogg and Booth? how are you handling the admit weekends? (are you choosing one or are you going to both?)


I am going to try to attend both. However, I'm not sure which one to go to on Friday since for both schools it sounds like Friday is the more substantial of the two (Saturday involves more "B-school life," housing, community, etc).

What are you going to do?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 52
Location: Costa Rica
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 14:04
spivey181 wrote:
adrianbr wrote:
Hey guys, congrats on the admit. Does any of you has the "nice problem" of being admitted to Kellogg and Booth? how are you handling the admit weekends? (are you choosing one or are you going to both?)


I am going to try to attend both. However, I'm not sure which one to go to on Friday since for both schools it sounds like Friday is the more substantial of the two (Saturday involves more "B-school life," housing, community, etc).

What are you going to do?


I'm still not sure, I already have my flight ticket to Chicago and a hotel reservation downtown, however I'm not sure which one to go on Friday and which one to go on Saturday. I'm thinking Booth Friday and Kellogg Saturday...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 04:13
I just gave Kellogg my $2K. Hope to see you all in the fall! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it out there until KWEST.
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2012, 04:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
UNC Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014 washingtondc627 21 12 Dec 2011, 08:25
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Duke Fuqua 2012 - Admitted Applicants: Class of 2014 threestripes 82 05 Dec 2011, 21:53
14 Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread wiseguyMBA 205 04 Jan 2010, 09:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg 2012 - Admitted Applicants Class of 2014

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 74 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.