Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE:Supply Chain Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Has anyone done the video bit yet, would really appreciate seeing the type of questions they ask. Is it likely to be personal information questions as in the essays
or would it be something more general, like your opinion on some global situation?

And for the three trials , can you do 1,2 and 3 and then go and pick the best one or is it more hit or stand (how exciting..).

Cheers
~N
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Looking for some candid perspective here on my chances of admission in Kellogg's 1Y program. My biggest weakpoint is my GMAT score: 650 (V: 42, Q: 37). That said, I feel I have a very strong profile otherwise (but who doesn't I suppose?!), including:
-5 years experience (upon matriculation) in digital marketing at a fortune 200 company
-Undergrad GPA of 3.6 at a top undergrad business school (public)
-Extensive extra-curricular and volunteer work, including pro-bono consulting and marketing for a non-profit

I'm also confident that my essays and letters of recommendation will be very strong; I've put a lot of thought and effort into researching, crafting my story, and editing. While I know it's all about the "holistic package" I'm trying to cut to the chase and understand if this GMAT is just too low for Kellogg's 1Y. I see some promise in the fact that a 650 does fall in the very bottom of Kellogg's 80% range, but I recognize this is well below the average so applying with this score comes with risk.

I'm torn between applying R1 with this current score, or making one last final push to bump up my GMAT and then apply in R2. I'm guessing most of you will recommend retaking and applying R2, which is what I'm leaning to, but I really do want to understand if I have ANY chance with current score and if the effort of retaking will pay off. Realistically, I think retaking it could bump my score another 10-40 points to a 660 or 690. It does seem a 650 --> 680 is a pretty significant jump. But I'm an awful standardized test taker (especially with quant), always have been, and I know that a third go at the GMAT is really going to take a lot out of me, both personally and professionally. So if retaking, I want to be reassured that the final effort would make a difference.

A couple other points to note: I am a 26 y/o white male. If applying R1, I would leverage the optional essay to openly address the low GMAT, but mention my extensive exposure to data and analytics in my day-to-day work, which would hopefully reinforce my comfort and competency with quant while offsetting my GMAT performance.

I appreciate your candid advice and perspective!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Just wanted to send a message saying I will be applying Round 1 as well. Applied to a few schools last year but not Kellogg so looking forward to applying with you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
silly question coming up:
The 3rd question has 2 parts with individual word limits. Do we need to answer them separately or it needs to be one long reply ?

Not a silly question at all jumsumtak. This should be one essay that flows from the first part to the next; they have broken it down like that to make sure you answer both questions within your essay, and they're giving guidance that each is of equal weight. Don't use subheadings etc., just write it out as an integrated piece, with an intro, a couple paragraphs, and a conclusion.

EssaySnark

In the application, there are two separate boxes for question three with a strict 250 maximum word count for each box. Can we write one big essay and put it in a word document, or is this actually two separate questions?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Jamon wrote:
essaysnark wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
silly question coming up:
The 3rd question has 2 parts with individual word limits. Do we need to answer them separately or it needs to be one long reply ?

Not a silly question at all jumsumtak. This should be one essay that flows from the first part to the next; they have broken it down like that to make sure you answer both questions within your essay, and they're giving guidance that each is of equal weight. Don't use subheadings etc., just write it out as an integrated piece, with an intro, a couple paragraphs, and a conclusion.

EssaySnark

In the application, there are two separate boxes for question three with a strict 250 maximum word count for each box. Can we write one big essay and put it in a word document, or is this actually two separate questions?
Wow we need to go back and fix that answer - our previous information was incorrect and was posted before Kellogg opened up their application a few weeks ago.

This actually is TWO QUESTIONS just like jumsumtak originally asked about. You cannot post it as one document; it needs to be uploaded or copy/pasted separately, 250 words each. (This is different than how other schools have done, and still do, multipart questions - it varies by school - apologies for misdirecting people previously.)

Thanks for asking about this Jamon!! We're going to go edit that original post now.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Okay, all understood. Thanks for the clarification!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
just a quick silly question -Does Kellogg require any specific essay formatting. I can't seem to find any suggestions on their requirement section.

Cheers
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
@meerkat4, nope, none of the schools require any specific resume format - just present a cleanly-formatted, professional one-pager and you'll be good to go!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Hello guys,

For this essay: What have been your most significant leadership experiences? What challenges did you face, and what impact did you have? This is your opportunity to explain how you Think Bravely , do you think it is okay if I focus only on one (big) leadership example? Or should I rather use 2 stories?

The thing is, I am facing some issues to summarize enough the 2 experiences I am thinking about and keep them that relevant - that's why I would appreciate your point of views :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Couldn't you compress the context and squeeze in two stories. It could be just my way of thinking but I would think , unless your one story has that much relevant depth, that you would be better off with two stories that highlight your leadership experiences in slightly different contexts. Then again, it's your story so you know best.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
meerkat4 wrote:
Couldn't you compress the context and squeeze in two stories. It could be just my way of thinking but I would think , unless your one story has that much relevant depth, that you would be better off with two stories that highlight your leadership experiences in slightly different contexts. Then again, it's your story so you know best.

Thanks for your answer and advise. I actually tried but had some troubles to do it. Perhaps I should just try again in a couple of days ;)

I would say the two stories are equivalently interesting except that one is pretty "old" (it has 4 years) , perhaps I should eliminate tho one.. hard decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,

Tense and exciting times,eh?

Anyone from here who attended the Kellogg Admissions event in Mumbai on the 10th ?
VP
VP
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
@meerkat4, nope, none of the schools require any specific resume format - just present a cleanly-formatted, professional one-pager and you'll be good to go!

I think the post asked about the essay formatting.

@meerkat4 - if there is nothing mentioned, just present a standard font ( Times, Arial, Georgia, Calibri) in a 11/12 point font size with a 1.25/1.5 line spacing and normal/moderate margins. This should do.
VP
VP
Send PM
Bytran wrote:
meerkat4 wrote:

Thanks for your answer and advise. I actually tried but had some troubles to do it. Perhaps I should just try again in a couple of days ;)

I would say the two stories are equivalently interesting except that one is pretty "old" (it has 4 years) , perhaps I should eliminate tho one.. hard decision!

I voiced a similar concern a few days back on this (or Sloan) thread. It is really hard to fit in 2 stories in 500 words. In fact, out of all the essays, I have written most number of drafts for this one. So, you're not alone - if that helps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello,
How are you guys planning to finance the Kellogg MBA. May I know.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Apologies if this has already been answered. When submitting my GMAT score, is it sufficient to email the adcom my "Official Score Report - Test Taker Copy" or do I need to request an "Additional Score Report" on the GMAT website?

Per Kellogg's website:
Quote:
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
All applicants are required to submit a valid GMAT/GRE score. (JD-MBA applicants must submit a GMAT score, not a GRE score.) GMAT/GRE scores are valid for five years. The complete application must be submitted prior to the expiration date of the GMAT/GRE score. Information about the GMAT is available here and information about the GRE is available here.

Submission of additional test scores after submission of the application will be accepted, but there is no guarantee the new score will be evaluated at the time the file is reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Official score reports can be emailed to mbaapplicant@kellogg.northwestern.edu.

Please note, an application with no GMAT/GRE score will be considered incomplete until an official score is received. The Kellogg School will record the highest score but encourages applicants to report additional scores if the test is taken more than once.

Candidates must request that scores be sent to Kellogg. Allow three weeks for Kellogg to receive the scores.
• The GMAT code for the Kellogg Full-Time MBA Program is 6WZ-3J-89.
• The GRE code for the Kellogg Full-Time MBA Program is 7921.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Reapplying to Kellogg this year. Its my dream school and I gave up a top-20 B-School admit for it. I hope to click this year!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts