Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Just got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peruvian / 30 years / 750 GMAT / Finance background (Retail Banking)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
ohsballer wrote:
greatgame wrote:
I see a lot of Duke(A) folks getting Kellogg admit. This is great news!! Go ahead people join Kellogg.

I am Duke(WL), btw!
:lol:

I know at least 7 people personally who are turning down Fuqua for Kellogg. So things look pretty good for you. :)

make that 8 ;-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.32
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, getting the same feeling, Blaxor. And, we've basically got the same GPA/GMAT. I've got Booth tomorrow and Anderson next week. Fingers crossed.

All I have to say to the admissions committees: I will take your word that I wasn't good enough today. Tomorrow, I will wake up and prove you wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats to all the R2 admits! I highly recommend DAK, whether you're still deciding or you've already made up your mind.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
@nickg1386, those are last year's questions. Kellogg makes some fairly significant changes to essay questions every year and we're guessing this year will be no different. They typically release questions mid-July so they're not actually behind schedule, it's just that all the other schools moved essay question release up this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
The 2013-2014 application essays have been posted:

ESSAY 1
What’s the greatest obstacle you’ve overcome (personally or professionally)?
How has overcoming this obstacle prepared you to achieve success now and in the future? (350 word limit)

ESSAY 2
What have been your most significant leadership experiences? What challenges did you face, and what impact did you have?
This is your opportunity to explain how you Think Bravely. (500 word limit)

ESSAY 3
Part 1: What career/role are you looking to pursue and why? (250 word limit)
Part 2: Why are Kellogg and the MBA essential to achieving these career goals? (250 word limit)
(Please answer Part 2 in terms of your program choice: One-Year, Two-Year, MMM, JD-MBA).

Re-Applicants Only
Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (400 word limit) Please note: re-applicants are required to answer this question in addition to #1-3.

Additional Information (Optional)
If needed, briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.) (No word limit)

We anticipate our application will be available in mid-August. Please continue to check the website for the most up-to-date information.
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
silly question coming up:
The 3rd question has 2 parts with individual word limits. Do we need to answer them separately or it needs to be one long reply ?

Not a silly question at all jumsumtak. This should be one essay that flows from the first part to the next; they have broken it down like that to make sure you answer both questions within your essay, and they're giving guidance that each is of equal weight. Don't use subheadings etc., just write it out as an integrated piece, with an intro, a couple paragraphs, and a conclusion.

EssaySnark

EDITED 9/9/13: We were wrong on this! Sorry to mislead people - we answered this when the questions were released, going off past experience on how other schools have done multipart questions. Once the Kellogg app was released in late August, we realized the mistake but forgot to come back here and update this post.

For Kellogg, Essay 3 is actually two separate pieces. You will upload or copy/paste them in as individual 250-word responses. It's not a single essay as we had stated in this response.

Sorry for the confusion!!!

Originally posted by essaysnark on 22 Jul 2013, 11:23.
Last edited by essaysnark on 09 Sep 2013, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
Anyone else facing trouble in fitting 2 stories in the leadership experiences question? I'm debating whether I should go back to 1 much more detailed story. But, then the question says 'experiences'. sigh!

Hi Jumsumtak,

I think you don't need to incorporate two totally different experiences into the essay. If you have taken two or more leadership actions in one story, you can write deeply about the story and make it "experiences". Last year I did so, and got in.
Send PM
Kudos
hookemhorns612 wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:
If anyone has completed the video component, if would be awesome if they can provide some explanation on the process, i.e. how do the prompts appear, can you watch the video, can you retake the video etc.

I imagine consulting firms are going to have a lot to offer on this topic pretty soon once they've created apps, logged in, and seen the process/every single question.

@westsidah408, you cannot retake the video but there is a quick practice one that you get to do first.
Shameless self-promotion (since hookemhorns612 sorta asked): Our Kellogg essay guide was updated last week to cover the video essay. We also have posts on the EssaySnark blahg about how to prepare for a Skype interview, which is relevant to the video essay too - here's one and here's another (the second is behind the blahg paywall but the first is not).

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
xinga wrote:
Anyone knows the venue details for Kelloggs' Mumbai event in September?

hi xinga,

this event seems to be full. your best bet would be to email someone in admissions, tell them that you are really interested in learning more about the school and ask whether its still possible to attend.

with that said, just want to make a shameless plug for these events. i think that they are a great way to learn about the school through 1) the eyes of the current student leading the event and 2) alumni who will likely be present at the event.

full disclaimer: i am a current student and am actually hosting one of these ambassador events so in part its a shameless plug, but i also think that its worth taking an hour to learn more about the school. i admit, these things sound cheez, but looking back at my application process, i def. wish i spent more time reaching out to other students/alumni because i learn the most from them.
Send PM
Kudos
ricecake wrote:
hey snark,

I became a subscriber to your blahg over the wknd :) one quick q: do you think it's okay to use the "obstacle" essay to address poor grades? or should I use the "brief" description section for this? my grades is arguably the worst part about my profile at this moment so I figured I could use this to address it. thanks!
Hey ricecake - glad to have you at the blahg! Thanks for joining.

On the Kellogg obstacle essay, not so keen on using low grades for that.

a) was that REALLY the biggest obstacle you've ever faced? (really??)
b) what is it actually telling the adcom about you?

The other thing is that often, low grades are self-inflicted; an 'obstacle' typically means something bad from the outside that happened to you - not always, but often. Check out this post from the blahg about 'setbacks' - very similar to 'obstacles'.

So we feel that you would not be taking best advantage of your essay real estate to use this essay this way. There are some exceptions to it but typically only when the low grades are a result of something else - some horrible personal thing going on at the same life where the grades were a symptom. In that case, talk about the other stuff you had to deal with.

Remember, with an obstacle, you have to show how you overcame it, and the most revealing parts of these essays are where you discuss the actions you took to do so. With a 'low grades' essay, there isn't usually all that much you can say about it - "I worked harder" - it's what everyone with a low grades story stays. It's not often very additive. If your situation is different, then our opinion might change, but generally we don't recommend it.

That being said: Yes you definitely need to address it, but Kellogg has an optional essay that you can use for that.

Hope this helps!
EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Ronin7 wrote:
The recommendation request for Kellogg did not go through to my recommender, although he received the other recommendation request I had sent for another B-school. Has anyone else faced a similar problem?

I had this problem with a couple of my applications, not with Kellogg's. Sometimes different email systems just filter messages in a weird way - if you want to be sure, just email the Kellogg Admission people to directly send the request again. I did this for Harvard and Columbia, and both schools responded right away with a direct request.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys! Just had an interview with an alumni today. So I want to share some experiences with you guys.

It was nice. The alumni was very friendly and we spent over an hour for an interview. She asked my mostly about my past experience base on what was on my resume. So for me , I think you should really prepare what you have written in Resume and must be ready to explain anything. The rest was normal like Why Kellogg and why an MBA now because I just changed my job.

Overall, it was a very nice experience and I got some very good information about Kellogg from her.

Good luck for all you guys who will have an interview soon. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
ricecake wrote:
I decided to do my video essays over the weekend and for all of my videos during my review it starts freezing around the 1:00 mark! :( I have no idea what to do now as I used up all three of my chances. HelP?

Ricecake - I was at the admission office earlier to visit, and there were about 6-7 calls about the exact same problem, so you are not alone. You need to call the office and explain the situation. I think the Adcoms were really understanding, so just call them to explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
the audio keeps going. only the video freezes. hope this helps!

poem wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm about to do video essay. Just want to check, as most of you feedback, the video will freeze up at about 1mins, but the audio is fine. Which means I still can talk until 1.5mins, just that the video/image pause at around 1min, is it so?
If the audio aslo freeze up at 1min, I'm thinking to prepare my answer within 1min only....
Waiting for your reply.
Thanks so much.

Poem

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Application submitted for Round 1. Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Statistics, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
App submitted...awaiting 1 rec letter.

Had connection lost on my first video essay question...the second one was very smooth. Uploaded within 5 seconds as well.

was asked "what is one piece of technology you cannot live without"
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts