Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 18:52
I wanted to send a letter of support from an alumni, but I guess that's explicitly addressed on the FAQ's
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 02:00
For those who interviewed on-campus, did you attend the info session? Was it worth it? How many were in attendance?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 09:29
1of2 wrote:
For those who interviewed on-campus, did you attend the info session? Was it worth it? How many were in attendance?

I attended a building tour and info session; the tour was ~5-6 people and held by a current student. The info session was about the same number of people and involved a current student and an admissions person. The session was essentially a casual Q&A with the both of them.

I made it in September so it was a great time to ask application questions, especially about the video portion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 11:45
1of2 wrote:

I visited campus, though not during the interview. I don't know how far you have to travel, but it's always good to visit. Keep in mind that they explicitly state that it will not help us waitlisters.

Info Session: This was not that useful from my perspective. If you have already applied, you know what you need to know already. Talking to alumni is probably just as useful. Any specific questions can be asked by email. There were ~20 people.

Tour: This was pretty good. I am a bit of a sucker for the programs with nice new buildings. While Kellogg has a new building set to open in 2016, we would miss it. The facilities are pretty worn out, but I was surprised how much I liked it. It is functional (i.e. has everything you would want/need). But, maybe more importantly there was a clear center of the building where people gather. It gave me a better understanding of why people think Kellogg scores higher on community. It was a comfortable place for me.

Lunch with students: Good chance to ask current students questions. Again, this can be done remotely.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 11:47
MBAallDAY wrote:
I wanted to send a letter of support from an alumni, but I guess that's explicitly addressed on the FAQ's

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've had a few alums make this offer and I basically had to turn them down. If you think of a way to get around the rule appropriately, let us know.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 12:58
jbsimon wrote:
1of2 wrote:

I visited campus, though not during the interview. I don't know how far you have to travel, but it's always good to visit. Keep in mind that they explicitly state that it will not help us waitlisters.

Info Session: This was not that useful from my perspective. If you have already applied, you know what you need to know already. Talking to alumni is probably just as useful. Any specific questions can be asked by email. There were ~20 people.

Tour: This was pretty good. I am a bit of a sucker for the programs with nice new buildings. While Kellogg has a new building set to open in 2016, we would miss it. The facilities are pretty worn out, but I was surprised how much I liked it. It is functional (i.e. has everything you would want/need). But, maybe more importantly there was a clear center of the building where people gather. It gave me a better understanding of why people think Kellogg scores higher on community. It was a comfortable place for me.

Lunch with students: Good chance to ask current students questions. Again, this can be done remotely.

As I already applied and will be on-campus for the open interview, do adcoms notice if someone misses an info session? I am only planning to do the tour, visit a class, interview, and go back to the airport to fly out. I plan to chat up random students as well during my visit.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 13:05
1of2 wrote:
jbsimon wrote:
1of2 wrote:

As I already applied and will be on-campus for the open interview, do adcoms notice if someone misses an info session? I am only planning to do the tour, visit a class, interview, and go back to the airport to fly out. I plan to chat up random students as well during my visit.

Highly doubt they will notice. They weren't taking attendance. Once you check-in, you are there. It is common for people to catch flights or have other activities planned.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 5

Re: Kellogg 2014 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Gianfranco2014 wrote:
pencil me in guys.

Also, has anyone been WL by Kellogg before? If so, can you share your experience? Do you just sit and wait for your name to be called? Of course I assume you could be proactive and try to talk to adcom or improve your app .. but for the looks of it they just want you to wait. Any info would come in handy. Thx

I would recommend that you all take a look at the wait list thread from last year- there's some good information in there (I was one of those wait listed and it was a good help). That being said, I don't know what the procedure is this year and how it may differ, so I'm not sure what to advise… I know that last year after speaking with your WL manager you have the option of sending in updates that could improve your candidacy. But again, don't know if that's the case this year.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 21

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 02:28
My waitlist manager got back to me by email saying the adcom doesn't need any further information at this point. Has anyone been asked to provide specific information so far?
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 11:53
When I spoke with my WL manager, there was a specific part of my application they wanted more info on, and she also told me they could receive any updates I had. This all had to be done in writing (via email) to make it official.
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 16:21
tds2006 wrote:
When I spoke with my WL manager, there was a specific part of my application they wanted more info on, and she also told me they could receive any updates I had. This all had to be done in writing (via email) to make it official.

what did they ask you to provide if you dont mind me asking?
Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 48

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 08:58
My waitlist manager was out of the office for a long time, but I have a call scheduled with him soon. If I get any interesting feedback, I'll come back to share.

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 09:01
tds2006 wrote:

How long is your update letter going to be? Are you going to have a more bulletted list or a more formal essay?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 07:12
Just had a scan through some waitlists, seems that Kellogg's WL is comparatively larger in size than other schools. Anyone agree/disagree?
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 753 [0], given: 800

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 08:05
Expert's post
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.

The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Registration Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/531329318
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

1 KUDOS received
Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 48

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
I had a very interesting conversation with my wait list manager. He asked me for more information about my career goals and how an MBA fits in--if you've read my blog, you'll generally know what he's talking about. I knew that my long term goals would be unexpected for many business schools, but I didn't think that they wouldn't understand it (?) I did my best to explain further.

He also said I should ping him two weeks before any upcoming deposit deadlines I have for other schools. I got the impression that they are going to stall as long as they can (to be able to review more applicants in the meantime, I assume) and then make a quick decision about my candidacy when they have to. He did not say this out loud, of course--I'm reading between the lines here.

He also recommended that I submit all my updates in one email instead of going piecemeal. That was interesting since I've been waitlisted at Yale, too, and they seem to have the opposite preference. But since Kellogg doesn't take any additional recs, I'm not sure if I'll have much to submit, anyway.

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

CBS Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 03:49
j0ey wrote:
Just had a scan through some waitlists, seems that Kellogg's WL is comparatively larger in size than other schools. Anyone agree/disagree?

I will agree with that. From what I have heard Kellogg keeps a very big WL. Because they are afraid of the Yield just my 0.02$ though. there are no real numbers.

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.59

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 09:02
This wait is difficult and it is not even Feb yet! I think it is the fact that it could be Feb, it could be Aug, or it could not be in the cards...
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 11:33
MBAallDAY wrote:
tds2006 wrote:

How long is your update letter going to be? Are you going to have a more bulletted list or a more formal essay?

I think it was about 700 words. I wrote a more formal essay (they asked for clarification/fleshing out of career goals and how I hoped to reach them).
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2160

Kudos [?]: 7598 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 12:38
Expert's post

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 12:38