Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg Essay 3 - Assessment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kellogg Essay 3 - Assessment [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2006, 06:26
Hi Paul,

1. Should I mention in Kellogg Essay 3 - Assessment Essay that I raised my GMAT from 550 to 680? I don't emphasize 680, but the effort I reduced the gap worths mentioning?
2. I consider adding some minor negative trait to "assessment essay". By highlighting some minor weakness, I will add a feeling of a "honest guy". I can add my weakness such as Verbal/ Speaking. How adcoms see these?

Thanks.

Last edited by GMATcram on 17 Dec 2006, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2006, 06:41
Yeah I think thats a +ve achievement!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg Essay 3 - Assessment [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2006, 17:07
GMATcram wrote:
Hi Paul,

1. Should I mention in Kellogg Essay 3 - Assessment Essay that I raised my GMAT from 550 to 680? I don't emphasize 680, but the effort I reduced the gap worths mentioning?
2. I consider adding some minor negative trait to "assessment essay". By highlighting some minor weakness, I will add a feeling of a "honest guy". I can add my weakness such as Verbal/ Speaking. How adcoms see these?

Thanks.

GMATcram,

The jump in your score is probably not worth highlighting for two reasons: it underscores the fact that you once got a 550, which isn't very good. Your 680, while good, is not quite at the level where you can feel fully confident that you're competitive with the rest of their class, so mentioning the 550 only draws attention to this fact. The jump does show your determination and hard work, I imagine, but it might also invite the question: is the 550 the measure of your "true" aptitude before all the "GMAT cramming." Do you see where I'm going? It's a dicey thing.

I don't know your profile so I can't advise you what your weakness is, but I'm guessing you certainly have one or two (most people do). I wouldn't try to get clever about naming a "harmless" weakness; I would name the *true* weakness--which they will see whether you name it or not--and then add some damage control material to mitigate it--show them why it's not as bad as they might think.

Hope this helps.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2006, 22:53
Good point. Don't think you're a smarta$$ and can just hide your major weaknesses by highlighting one minor one. :) Be hones with yourself, look at your profile, find what really needs improvement, and explain the adcoms how you gonna do that.