Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.84
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 19:45
Hi guys,

I would appreciate some advice. If I liked marketing and wanted to go into that career initially (brand management, marketing consulting, internal strategy for retail/CPG, etc) what would be the pros and cons of doing Kellogg Full Time vs. Part Time?

Here is what I have so far:

Pros for Full Time:
- Less time pressure/stress (no full time job + MBA classes)
- Full MBA experience (greater networking, recruiting, student life)

Pros for Part Time:
- Keep earning money (less opportunity cost, less stress, less debt)
- Extra 2-3 years work experience upon graduation

Does anybody know if there is a distinction between the Kellogg Full Time and Part Time degree during recruiting (assuming PT was given access, which I think does happen)? What about 2-3 years (and further) into the future?

Thanks!
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 68

Re: Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:01
lhomme, I would strongly suggest applying for the full-time program if you want to switch careers. Extra work experience won't matter if it's not relevant to the industry you're targeting.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 19:49
You left out the most important aspect of the full-time program. The internship! That really is a great way to switch careers or even determine if brand management is what you're passionate about. Most people I know who have done MBAs from top schools part-time (Booth, Kellogg, etc.) wish they had gone full time since part-time is so difficult from a work-life balance standpoint and your experience is not as rich as a full time experience. Oh and as far as recruiting goes, typically part-time students aren't recruited alongside the full-time students because technically the part-time students have jobs already!

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.84
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 09:30
I spent some time talking with people in the part-time program and I've come to the same conclusion - I would benefit from the internship and full time extracurriculars. Thanks guys!
Re: Kellogg Full Time vs. Kellogg Part Time   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2011, 09:30