Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Jul 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [3] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
ritzoo wrote:

When you say "Background" is it resume-only? Cause Kellogg does not read essays before they interview you..

Actually that's not true. When Kellogg hands you an interview waiver it means that they are going to read your application before they have a chance to interview you. Basically when they don't have enough people in the area to conduct face to face interviews like they prefer they will hand out an interview waiver and start reading your application so that they don't waste more time.

Once they read the essays if they feel you are an interesting candidate they'll invite you to a phone/web interview.

Hope this helps.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:03
This post received
KUDOS
llapin wrote:
Happy decision week, all! Wishing everyone the ability to get some sleep this week despite the nerves/anticipation.

This wait is killing me inside. The most productive thing I have done all day is make a cup of coffee. (I used a Keurig Machine)
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't think I could get even less productive. But here I am, a super stressed blob that consumes comfort-foods and contributes nothing good to society.

I kinda want to vomit, but that might be the meatball sub i ate.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 2

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
I can't help telling myself to get prepared for the bad result, imagining the moment when I check my email where a ding-mail from Kellogg has already laid there, peaceful and cold. Life experience taught me it's wise to keep pessimistic for all the outcomes out of control. But still, wish the best luck to everyone tonight!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q V0
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 81 [3] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
ACCEPTED!!!!! Received the call about an hour ago! No update definitely means you're in!!!!

This is the sweetest ending EVER to my GMAT story and proof that people with stratospheric GMATs aren't the only ones that get in! I had a 680 GMAT and got the call. So... if you have a "lower" GMAT, don't knock yourselves down, instead focus that energy on enhancing your application and have faith in yourselves!!!!
2 KUDOS received
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 63

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
Kellogg Essay Questions are out:

2013 Application Essay Questions
Discuss moments or influences in your personal life that have defined who you are today. (500 word limit)

What have been your most significant leadership experiences? What challenges did you face, and what impact did you have? This is your opportunity to explain how you Think Bravely (personally and/or professionally). (500 word limit)

Imagine yourself at your Kellogg graduation. What career will you be preparing to enter, and how have the MBA and Kellogg helped you get there? (Please answer in terms of your program choice: One-Year, Two-Year, MMM, JD-MBA) (500 word limit)

What one interesting or fun fact would you want your future Kellogg classmates to know about you? (25 words or less)

MMM Applicants Only
How have you redefined yourself, your business environment and your community through the pursuit of design and innovation? (400 word limit)

For MMM applicants only: This is an optional essay that will be evaluated for the Rasmussen scholarship.

Re-Applicants Only
Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (400 word limit)

Please note: re-applicants are required to answer this question in addition to #1-4.

Additional Information (Optional)
If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.) (No word limit)

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [2] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
xinga wrote:
Hi All

I just received an interview waiver mail from the Kelloggs Adcom due to the high number of applicants from the area.

Profile: 30/m/india (mumbai, to be specific) engineering background
W/E: 7 yrs sales and marketing
GMAT: 740

I am not sure if this should be considered as a positive or negative development...???

Also, can I request the Adcom for an interview in any of the surrounding countries for an interview as I am okay to travel?

Xinga - I am re posting something I wrote a week or so ago. Hope this will help

To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invites in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver -> Dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
prabshan wrote:
Folks,

As I plan to apply for R2, would like to know if there's a list of things I need to be ready with before I hit the submit button for PART -1, and another list of things for PART -2.
Please let me know ASAP, otherwise I might ruin my chances :(

Hey prabshan,

For Part 1 you need to have these things ready:
  • Resume
  • Employment History
  • Extracurriculars Details
  • Achievements

I would also suggest you visit the Kellogg website to cross check. it's important you don't miss out on anything significant. also creating a login ID and password and actually opening up the application form and going through all the parts will tell you exactly what you need.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '14 (A)

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 12

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

Coming back to the forum after a long time. Just wanted to wish you guys good luck ! Look forward to welcoming and meeting you guys soon !

Shekmba
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 9

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
This is not fun.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.81

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
A friend in Illinois just called me... what a tease
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
omnivorous wrote:
Bendo321 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:
Guys, I was waitlisted last year and chose to waive interview this year. As the decision day is approaching, I am really starting to fidget... Last year, adcom called some US applicants before the decision date and the international calls are evenly distributed amongst the week after the decision date. So I speculate the pattern will probably be the same this year.

I don't understand..... "The week after the decision date"???
so the international applicants found out they were accepted by mail? or only on the decision date itself online?

Some international applicants were notified by phone on the decision day, while some received status change but no phone calls on the first day...

I don't recall that last year. True, gmatclub is a very small microcosm of the larger applicant pool but I don't remember anyone (domestic or international) reporting any acceptance calls nor emails on the decision day. International students were definitely called about their admits on the first day admit phone calls started (I know this because one of my friends received her call day 1). Before any international student starts worrying that the first day is their only chance to get called, know that international students were called on the subsequent days that admits were called. On this board people reported getting calls over a 3-4 day period last year and then most decisions reported after that and until the decision day were denials and waitlists.

Kellogg does try to call as many students as possible but if they cannot reach you (often due to time differences) they will send you a congratulatory email to inform you of being admitted. For admits the status change to your online app usually comes 1-2 days after you're notification. Good luck everyone.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 9

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Bigblue1010 wrote:
In the chat, someone said the following:

"I went to an on-campus interview session at Kellogg and they said decisions will be out on the deadline this year."

Can anyone else confirm this or has anyone else contacted to admissions office to verify?

Please, please, please do not contact admissions to ask them if they will send out decisions before the deadline. They will render decisions when they render them. They've promised to do it by a specific date. If they do it before that day, GREAT! If not, then let it be.

I know you guys all want to know something already but please do not bother the admissions office about it.

Transparency is missing from the admissions office. A simple admissions blog, like virtually every other school has, would solve this.

The direct quote from the application status website is: "Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round." As I said before, this is misleading, if not an outright lie. I think it is slightly disrespectful to the applicants, but I suppose my opinion doesn't matter.

I agree not to call them (and haven't done so myself), but the majority of this unneeded stress is being brought on by the school itself.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
anonymous2012 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Please, please, please do not contact admissions to ask them if they will send out decisions before the deadline. They will render decisions when they render them. They've promised to do it by a specific date. If they do it before that day, GREAT! If not, then let it be.

I know you guys all want to know something already but please do not bother the admissions office about it.

Transparency is missing from the admissions office. A simple admissions blog, like virtually every other school has, would solve this.

The direct quote from the application status website is: "Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round." As I said before, this is misleading, if not an outright lie. I think it is slightly disrespectful to the applicants, but I suppose my opinion doesn't matter.

I agree not to call them (and haven't done so myself), but the majority of this unneeded stress is being brought on by the school itself.

Duly noted. Trust me, I know exactly how you all feel. I actually spent hours one Saturday reading every post in the previous year's Kellogg applicant thread. I wanted to see who got in, when they got in, and what they said when they got in. My stomach was in knots and I spent about three straight weeks on the verge of puking. So trust me I get it.
Yes, Kellogg's admissions office could be much clearer on when you will have an answer. My point is that you WILL get an answer so don't allow the stress to make you that person who pesters the admissions office and/or unleashes his/her crazy on everyone else. When you put crazy together it doesn't add, it grows exponentially and none of you need to be more stressed than you already are. Hope that makes sense. I do wish you all the best of luck and hope there is good news to report soon.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 23

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
I like how for the past several days, it has consistently gotten ghostly quiet at around 12:30PST/3:30EST. As if the whole thread is holding its breath. Good luck all, what happens happens...we'll be okay.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
ADMIT!!!!!!
MMM program here I come :)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 13

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
In! Great news! Got the call, but from a 629 area code.

It was from the admissions officer who had reviewed my applications, so he even knew details from my story, etc. He said we'll get the Admitted Students login in a package in the mail in about a week, and will get more info by email tonight.

He also said my status won't be updated for a while.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
query007 wrote:
cofre wrote:
I was just like that an hour ago. Hang in there. It looks like no news is good news. Good luck!

mbeezy wrote:
Still waiting... no email beforehand... *sigh* Fingers crossed the trend holds true!!!

If I do get dinged at the end of the day, "no news is good news" will be my least favorite sentence :) :)

If you get accepted, I will go down in the history of the forum as the legendary character who coined the phrase with respect to the December 17th, 2012 events. I expect no less than a sculpture with my name of it in the middle of campus.

That is all.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
In! Now it's decision time...

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
RDeezy wrote:
Got an interview!

Nice! are you a time traveler or applying to round 2?
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 13:46