Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3336
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:16
Expert's post
Yep. Totally agree. I've seen this happen loads of times, and the Adcom office people are usually very kind and understanding about this.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Posts: 285
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 07:02
Ok thank you both for the reply - I was freaked out to say the least. Will call in the next day or so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 336
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:39
Hey guys, do the kellogg recommendations need to be necessarily submitted by the 16th oct deadline? Any idea if they give any extension? I am not too sure my recommendation provider would finish by the deadline!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 10:44
vibhav wrote:
Hey guys, do the kellogg recommendations need to be necessarily submitted by the 16th oct deadline? Any idea if they give any extension? I am not too sure my recommendation provider would finish by the deadline!



You should call them and ask them. Usually universities are very accommodating if they get your supporting documentation within a couple of days.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying to enroll in 2013
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 62
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 12:25
On essays 1 and 2 are most people writing about multiple "moment or influences" and "experiences" or concentrating on one? Difficult to get two points accross in 500 words
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 12:47
mtk232 wrote:
On essays 1 and 2 are most people writing about multiple "moment or influences" and "experiences" or concentrating on one? Difficult to get two points accross in 500 words


Thats the challenge :) wrote 2 in each essay. Given the use of plurals, dont write just one.
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Round 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Location: United States (MN)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 13:04
str1der wrote:
mtk232 wrote:
On essays 1 and 2 are most people writing about multiple "moment or influences" and "experiences" or concentrating on one? Difficult to get two points accross in 500 words


Thats the challenge :) wrote 2 in each essay. Given the use of plurals, dont write just one.


I am only writing about one moment, but two experiences. I specifically asked a member of the Adcom this question and was told I could write about one or more, it is up to you.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 56
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 15:05
I am in Palo Alto and have not gotten an interview invitation yet. I think they say up to six weeks so no need to stress about it quite yet.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 19:33
str1der wrote:
mtk232 wrote:
On essays 1 and 2 are most people writing about multiple "moment or influences" and "experiences" or concentrating on one? Difficult to get two points accross in 500 words


Thats the challenge :) wrote 2 in each essay. Given the use of plurals, dont write just one.

Same here - I wrote 2 each in essay 1 and 2.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 19:56
theK wrote:
str1der wrote:
mtk232 wrote:
On essays 1 and 2 are most people writing about multiple "moment or influences" and "experiences" or concentrating on one? Difficult to get two points accross in 500 words


Thats the challenge :) wrote 2 in each essay. Given the use of plurals, dont write just one.

Same here - I wrote 2 each in essay 1 and 2.

Two here as well.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 18:29
Has anyone interviewed on campus yet this year? I'm going on Monday and am curious whether it will be with a member of the adcom or a 2nd year student, the email confirmation says "member of admissions, either staff or student".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Round 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Location: United States (MN)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 07:48
Hi,

I have a request for the mods: Can we get the Kellogg 1Y MBA stats in this thread with the 2Y? I saw we had them in the 2012 thread, and am interested to see them.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 11:10
Just had an interview with the Alumnus today. It went great for the most part.

I got some feedback in the end, mostly positive. Interviewer said that I have a very good profile and is very impressive work experience and accomplishments. He said that if I don't get in it will only be because of lack of extra curricular activities. I don't have substantial amount of extra curricular activities other than mentoring students, small fundraiser and teaching. Although it is only his opinion, he still has some say in the decision making process I'd say.

Would like to know if someone has had similar experience?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 18:53
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Dakells wrote:
Has anyone interviewed on campus yet this year? I'm going on Monday and am curious whether it will be with a member of the adcom or a 2nd year student, the email confirmation says "member of admissions, either staff or student".

You won't know til you get there. Last year I interviewed on campus with a 1st year student. Good luck with your interview!


Thanks cheetarah! Guess that means I'll be preparing two sets of questions for the end!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2011
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 08:14
Does anyone has suggestion on how many words can I exceed from the 500 word limit ? One of my essays is 525 words and I am
reluctant to cut it down. Can I exceed the limit by 5%?
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 04:04
sasankadc wrote:
Hi,

My recommender has submitted the recommendation, but he did not notice the 250 words limit per question. He has around 1900 words (total), according to him, in his recommendation.
I am sure he might have written a very strong recommendation, but worried if the extra words would effect my chances.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.


The recommendation is the recommender's prerogative and not yours. Even if you wrote the recommendation yourself (not saying you did, I'm just giving the extreme case example), the adcom sees it as something submitted solely by the recommender. Hence, if that person exceeds the word limits, it reflects poorly on them not you. Further, given this is something you cannot control (as you are not supposed to see your recommendation and hence wouldn't know if the word count has been exceeded), why would it affect your chances anyways?

Don't worry - and all the best!
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 358
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:11
cvsmech wrote:
Just had an interview with the Alumnus today. It went great for the most part.

I got some feedback in the end, mostly positive. Interviewer said that I have a very good profile and is very impressive work experience and accomplishments. He said that if I don't get in it will only be because of lack of extra curricular activities. I don't have substantial amount of extra curricular activities other than mentoring students, small fundraiser and teaching. Although it is only his opinion, he still has some say in the decision making process I'd say.

Would like to know if someone has had similar experience?


How much information do the interviewers have? Do they essentially have access to all of part 1 of the application? Or is the interview blind, and your interviewer learned everything through the interview itself?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Round 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Location: United States (MN)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 09:45
rjdunn03 wrote:
cvsmech wrote:
Just had an interview with the Alumnus today. It went great for the most part.

I got some feedback in the end, mostly positive. Interviewer said that I have a very good profile and is very impressive work experience and accomplishments. He said that if I don't get in it will only be because of lack of extra curricular activities. I don't have substantial amount of extra curricular activities other than mentoring students, small fundraiser and teaching. Although it is only his opinion, he still has some say in the decision making process I'd say.

Would like to know if someone has had similar experience?


How much information do the interviewers have? Do they essentially have access to all of part 1 of the application? Or is the interview blind, and your interviewer learned everything through the interview itself?


Blind interview, they only have your resume that you need to send to them (nothing else from Part 1). In my interview, the interviewer had not reviewed the resume prior to our meeting, not sure if this is by design or if they were just too busy.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: On my way !!!
Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 115
Location: France
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 09:49
rjdunn03 wrote:
cvsmech wrote:
Just had an interview with the Alumnus today. It went great for the most part.

I got some feedback in the end, mostly positive. Interviewer said that I have a very good profile and is very impressive work experience and accomplishments. He said that if I don't get in it will only be because of lack of extra curricular activities. I don't have substantial amount of extra curricular activities other than mentoring students, small fundraiser and teaching. Although it is only his opinion, he still has some say in the decision making process I'd say.

Would like to know if someone has had similar experience?


How much information do the interviewers have? Do they essentially have access to all of part 1 of the application? Or is the interview blind, and your interviewer learned everything through the interview itself?


The interview is always blind ... the interviewers just have access to your CV
_________________

http://pyarapopat.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 11:25
str1der wrote:
sasankadc wrote:
Hi,

My recommender has submitted the recommendation, but he did not notice the 250 words limit per question. He has around 1900 words (total), according to him, in his recommendation.
I am sure he might have written a very strong recommendation, but worried if the extra words would effect my chances.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.


The recommendation is the recommender's prerogative and not yours. Even if you wrote the recommendation yourself (not saying you did, I'm just giving the extreme case example), the adcom sees it as something submitted solely by the recommender. Hence, if that person exceeds the word limits, it reflects poorly on them not you. Further, given this is something you cannot control (as you are not supposed to see your recommendation and hence wouldn't know if the word count has been exceeded), why would it affect your chances anyways?

Don't worry - and all the best!


Thanks.. that cooled my nerves a bit... :)
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2012, 11:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
326 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants finmaster 1501 04 Jul 2012, 16:31
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg (Northwestern) Part time 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 26 15 Feb 2013, 07:27
Northwestern (Kellogg) 1-year 2013 - Calling All Applicants ndmaynard 13 22 Oct 2012, 12:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  76    Next  [ 1502 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.