Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:14

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: App almost ready
Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Posts: 42
Location: South Africa
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 00:31
Has anyone been interview in South Africa??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Posts: 214
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 08:24
I've only seen a few who received interview waivers subsequently get interviewed. Any ideas on if more of the waiver folks might get interview invites?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 18:51
jazzman wrote:
I've only seen a few who received interview waivers subsequently get interviewed. Any ideas on if more of the waiver folks might get interview invites?


Did they start interviewing people who received waivers? I did not see anyone report that on this year's thread... yet.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1628
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 628

Kudos [?]: 2558 [0], given: 745

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:35
Expert's post

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado


Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 02:34
hi y'all
just received an e-mail from Kellogg Admissions for a telephonic interview for the 1-Y.
would appreciate inputs from those in the know of things, about what to expect, preparatory steps and unexpected things to watch out for.
regards
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke!
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 132
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 09:41
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask her to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?

Last edited by FuzzyBuzzard on 01 Dec 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 09:55
Expert's post
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask him to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?


Stick to the word limit. Always follow adcom directions.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke!
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 132
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 10:06
aerien wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask him to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?


Stick to the word limit. Always follow adcom directions.


Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 10:12
Expert's post
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
aerien wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask him to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?


Stick to the word limit. Always follow adcom directions.


Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...


Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Duke!
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 132
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 10:27
aerien wrote:
Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?


I see your point and agree.
Yet, the recommenderes are out of the applicant's control. Sticking to the deadline is one thing, not going over the word limit is another thing. BTW, I really appreciates Berkeley-Haas' attitude towards LOR, as posted on their Facebook page - they accept LOR's even after the deadline, knowing that the rec' are usually busy people.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 10:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
aerien wrote:
Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?


I see your point and agree.
Yet, the recommenderes are out of the applicant's control. Sticking to the deadline is one thing, not going over the word limit is another thing. BTW, I really appreciates Berkeley-Haas' attitude towards LOR, as posted on their Facebook page - they accept LOR's even after the deadline, knowing that the rec' are usually busy people.


Most schools have that (more or less unspoken) policy about accepting LORs a few days to a week after the deadline. Adcoms do realize that that submitting of the rec letters is out of the applicant's control.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 17:12
Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...[/quote]

Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?[/quote]

IMO: You can be +/- 10% of the word count for your essays or LOR but you shouldn't go over on every essay. They don't count the number of words but can visually gauge how long an essay is. It's better to complete a thought coherently (either you or the recommender) and be a little over, then cut out words to get you to the word count and lose the meaning all together.

Again, this is just my thoughts on the matter, but I can't imagine the AdCom's would be so shrewd to hold that against someone, especially if they don't actually count the number of words.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 471
Location: India
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:48
rsmsundaram wrote:
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.


Hey rmsundaram. Congrats! Can you please share your profile with everyone.
_________________

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:53
kidchaos wrote:
rsmsundaram wrote:
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.


Hey rmsundaram. Congrats! Can you please share your profile with everyone.




Bsc Economics from SRCC Delhi. IT Consulting (second tier consulting company) for 3 years. GMAT-700
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:55
anyone here has had phone interview? is it behavioural?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 15:59
Where does it say on the Kellogg recommendation to stick with 250 words?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 17:46
Disclaimer: I'm merely speculating. However, when you log in and check the status of your application, the following phrasing appears (emphasis added). Makes me believe that some decisions may start trickling out this week. I'm starting to freak out! Good luck, everyone!

"Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round. "
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 74
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 19:32
Thats what I thought as well. The daily nightmares and obsessive kellogg-readings begin!
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 572
Location: United States
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 19:52
caliboy83 wrote:
Where does it say on the Kellogg recommendation to stick with 250 words?


At the beginning of the rec form, it says this.
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2012, 19:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
326 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants finmaster 1501 04 Jul 2012, 16:31
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg (Northwestern) Part time 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 26 15 Feb 2013, 07:27
Northwestern (Kellogg) 1-year 2013 - Calling All Applicants ndmaynard 13 22 Oct 2012, 12:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  76    Next  [ 1502 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.