Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
The great str1der is still here reading and answering our silly, silly questions...good stuff buddy :) your blog's kept me hooked these past 3 months of GMAT preps and application processes....cheers mate.

<Getting prepared to change the world>

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today with a Kellogg alum. AFAIK, it was smooth with a few bobbles here and there, where we had a difference of opinion or two. No stress, fairly conversational but a bit different from what I'd been reading from interviewees. My interviewer was an exec MBA holder from Kellogg while I was a 1Y applicant, and his opinion on why an MBA was fairly refreshing. Anyway, after he set the groundwork and took me through how he'd run the next 30 odd minutes, here is what I was asked:

1. Why MBA
2. Why only MBA and would it really make a difference (Here he said the only real reason why 95% candidates apply is more $$, a stamp of approval and anytime any interviewee says anything different its difficult to not judge them as not being truthful! Quite a spot I was in, but I held my own and while I agreed with him I said there were otehr driving factors for me and took time to explain. He seemed on the border here :) )
3. Why Kellogg
4. What other schools I applied to and why
5. Talk about your career growth over the past 6-7 years
6. Anything on the resume which you would like to emphasize
7. Something I'm extremely proud of having done - any one thing, but within the last year or so
8. Any tough situation that I've handled. How would I deal with it differently
9. A time when things went wrong in my team, and how did I exhibit leadership
10. Weaknesses I've identified in myself and how I addressed them
11. What would people say about me
12. What kind of a person am I? Here he probed me further since one of my answers to Q 10 was being an introvert in the world of marketing and having to live a life where I had to 'fake' being an extrovert while holding my cards close to my chest. He told me he himself was quite an introvert and said he felt exactly the same as I did when it came to dealing with people. In fact he added that one of the challenges he faced when he went to Kellogg was being in a place where everyone was an extrovert, a social butterfly and 'out there' while he was an introvert. Gave me quite a bit of advice here.
13. Do I think others around me like me as a person?
14. My goals in life - why
15. The conversation went quite random and suddenly he told me that I seemed like a passionate guy with an impressive and a unique CV, but there was one thing he wanted to finally ask me- If I could be any one person in the world, who would I want to be and why - time and money not being a factor. My answer surprised him - I first said- "You, considering you've been to my dream school and are doing exactly what you wanted to"....we laughed and then I gave him my real answer: I said Roger Waters for the brilliance in his words and his captivating, haunting voice. (I am a closet musician after all)

He gave me some time to ask my questions, here's what I asked:

1. Why did he choose Kellogg over any other business school.
2. Considering I've never been to the US, if there were one or two things he thinks I should be prepared for/ wary of/ pearls of wisdom, what would he say- to make the most of my 1Y in Kellogg (and possibly more in the US)?
3. Finally, asked him for his e-mail ID, at which point we exchanged business cards.

It was quite a calm conversation with one or two points where he probed and disagreed with me, but was fun nevertheless. He wished me luck and then told me that finally the hard part was over now with whatever I could do having been done! I told him I actually quite enjoyed the whole application process because it forced me to introspect and 'discover myself' since in the corporate world one hardly gets to take out time to think about their life, accomplishments and delve deeper into themselves, and importantly - an opportunity to think bravely :) He agreed with me and said it was refreshing to hear that since he thought exactly the same way- The app process itself was a teacher!

The entire conversation went on for about 50 minutes against the 30 that he had outlined in the beginning.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
1. Kellogg looks at interviewing every single candidate that applies. You will be either interviewed or your interview will be waived. If either of the two do not happen, your application has some problem and you should contact the admissions office and check in. As other folks have mentioned, the only definitive indicator of your potential success is if your interview is waived and then later on you are called for an interview (As that means that they have now gone through your app and liked what they saw and wanted to find out more). Only a waiver and no call for interview means you're doomed. A direct interview call in reality means absolutely nothing. No indication whatsoever.

2. R2's decision date of March 21st means March 21st. If I remember reading correctly, R1 deadline was Dec 17 and that is exactly when people heard, not a day before. In previous years, generally the trend has been that a week before the deadline (Let's say Mar 14th onward for R2 this year) admits start getting congratulatory calls. If you haven't been called after Mar 14th but have already received an email from the adcom saying 'results available online', 99% of the time it'll mean you didn't get in.

Basically- calm down. We can all speculate and drive our nails against the wall but nothing will come of it till Mar 14th. After that, cross your fingers and wait for a phone call from an 847 area code. In the meanwhile. I'll share the best post I read from among the 46 pages here, and one which everyone should read, re-read and repeat till the time the results are out:

Read your own essays, nod vigorously at how awesome a candidate you are and release positive energy into the universe by visualizing your success - it'll happen

(Credits to Fleepie)

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Last year it seems they started calling folks a week early. This year it seems they will release decisions all on one day. (based off what happened R1.)

I guess this new approach is better. A week of waiting for a phone call (or not) sounds miserable. But I am so ready to be done with this. I am definitely procrastinating by reading this forum wayyyyy too much. Ward2012, I have read your post 100 times now.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.35

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Happy decision week, all! Wishing everyone the ability to get some sleep this week despite the nerves/anticipation.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
fromonederland wrote:
Does anyone know if Kellogg has started to call R2 applicants who've been admitted?

Posted from my mobile device Image

I couldn't find the negative kudos button.

No, they havent started yet. They probably wont start until the 21st based on what happened round 1.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 03:03
This post received
KUDOS
luckyricky wrote:
The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been determined, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round.

What am I supposed to understand as regarding my application on Round 2?

That you, like the rest of us here, will have to wait untill the 21st to know, and that all other assumptions, guesses and calculations are IRRELEVANT.

Good luck to us all!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
luckyricky wrote:
The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been determined, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round.

What am I supposed to understand as regarding my application on Round 2?

That you, like the rest of us here, will have to wait untill the 21st to know, and that all other assumptions, guesses and calculations are IRRELEVANT.

Good luck to us all!

Hahahahahaha loving the frustration of it all- Everyone's on the edge. :twisted:
It will all be over before you know it - Just like you ache for a vacation and before you know it, you're on the last day and regret that it got over so quickly. Enjoy the bittersweet pain of the wait - Its always more exciting, the chase and the not knowing, that is :-D

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
yoginijenn wrote:

Haha I hear you! I'm on the West Coast...just destroyed a massive plate of eggs, sausages, and a biscuit and am already planning my next meal.

At least I am here on the east cost where I am able to hide the physical impact of this process under multiple layers of winter clothing. (No way Spring has started yet.)

You're right. I should have pre-planned today's meals long ago. I think Im going to lie to the GF by telling her I had salad for lunch so she'll let me order in Chinese food for dinner.

Tomorrow will be filled with beers, frozen mac 'n cheese and nuggets. Done.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from an unknown number and almost pissed myself. Now just contemplating how I can get away with sneaking bourbon in my coffee at work to take that edge off.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
KindaFr34K wrote:
Talking about things that are awesome timesinks (or used to be), when did failblog become so lame? That was a go-to for a while. Best replacements?

Reddit and Imgur.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Comparative merits of nyquil and alcohol abuse as sleep aids. I like the direction this conversation has taken.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
I just ate an ambien and a bud light. Lit some prayer candles. I'm peace out if they want to reject me they'll have to wake me up from my sweet dreems.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
FYI- For those who are just here reading these posts to enjoy the psychotic behavior of us all, keep in mind- Not the brightest idea to tell your friends in Illinois about this magical date. They've been calling me from different numbers every hour since the past few hours.

I'm a wreck and am pretty sure by now 20% of me by body mass is made of chocolate.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 14

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Gorgasali wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:

Hmmm...mine is totally unchanged.

Belay my last...changed now.

Have you guys found that refreshing the page means you have to log in anew each time?

we are a perfect performance/error testing group for their e-system:)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
Usually dings are sent with an email at the beginning of the day. Phone calls instead go on for the whole day.
For this reason updating first the applicants who have been dinged makes sense to me.
On the other side, I don't think recalling what happened some years ago makes sense, as this year all decisions are released the same day.
As there are thousands of applicants, they might process the updated status in batches, and this can explain why everybody is getting - sooner or later - the same message.
In any case, best of luck to all of you, especially the ones who are waiting for their first admission letter.
As regards myself, I am already oriented towards another school so a ding would just avoid any challenging decision process.
Cheers
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
This speculation is awesome!!! Like true business people, we analyze every situation! I love it!

I agree, the “unable to determine your status” (I’m in this boat) is a really bad indication!

Here is my reasoning (based on literally nothing but speculation/logic)….Once the status is changed, the system only allows them to show the status or not so if they were to change the accepted candidates to “accepted” it would show their status before a phone call (once the statuses are released). To get around that issue, they update the dings/WL, then leave the accepted decisions unchanged so when they flip the switch to allow us to see the results it shows the ding/WL but the accepted candidates screens remain unchanged (so they have the chance to communicate the news via phone).
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.69
WE: General Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
I just got the call!
From Japan!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 26

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
can someone who's been admitted already please settle this check application status business?? I really just want to get my day started.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Could the timing be any more worse? My battery drained out last couple of hours and I just got access to a charger. My status hasn't changed so I am hoping "no news is good news". No email either.

oh wait
I am getting a call from 847
<unplugging my phone from the charger and finding a quiet corner in the office>

.. Oh my god! I am in! So damn thrilled!!!!!
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 06:59